Why become a member? ×

Best place to buy a new bass

omikin

I'm currently going through a kit reduction exercise, and I had thought that this would just leave me with the two P-basses in my signature, but a recent visit to PMT made me think otherwise. I played a new (2012 spec) American Standard P bass and I was smitten.

So for the last 24 hours or so I have been trying to fight the urge to go back there with my credit card and hand it over, and I have decided that after a forthcoming holiday with the missus I'm going to sell my current Nate Mendel and possibly also my existing Am Std and put the funds towards a new Am Std P (Oly White - probably maple but can't decide 100%). So check out the "for sale" threads in a couple of weeks.

My question really is - where's the best place to buy one? Price wise it seems that it's the same everywhere, but where do you get the best service? Is it possible to guarantee you're going to get one that hasn't been on the wall for 6 months but is pristine?

Anyone got any good / bad examples of recent new bass purchases that would be of help?

Also - can anyone help me decide on fretboard? :huh:

Yeah, and that's what I thought I wanted, but the one I played in PMT was OW/Maple and it was lovely. Now I can't decide. I tossed a coin earlier and it said maple, but only when I went to best 2 out of 3...

[quote name='omikin' timestamp='1399648212' post='2446299']
Yeah, and that's what I thought I wanted, but the one I played in PMT was OW/Maple and it was lovely. Now I can't decide. I tossed a coin earlier and it said maple, but only when I went to best 2 out of 3...
[/quote]

I think OW/maple is a great combination, and looks terrific.

Especially with Fenders, where the consistancy from one example to the next is patchy at best, if there is an example in a shop that you can get your hands on and see for yourself how it plays and what the quality control is like then that is invaluable. If the bass in the shop sounds good, is the right weight , plays well and has none of the typical Fender construction issues such as a gap in the neck pocket ect , then I would be tempted to see what kind of deal you can do for cash. The colour of your money can work wonders sometimes.

That's sort of what I was thinking. The one in PMT was very nicely set up (unusual for them - they have a Gibson Thunderbird in at the moment where the bridge is levitating about an inch off the body) and played beautifully. Didn't give it the full-on inspection but there was nothing untoward. How much do you think they might knock off for cash on a display model?

[quote name='omikin' timestamp='1399649616' post='2446333']
That's sort of what I was thinking. The one in PMT was very nicely set up (unusual for them - they have a Gibson Thunderbird in at the moment where the bridge is levitating about an inch off the body) and played beautifully. Didn't give it the full-on inspection but there was nothing untoward. How much do you think they might knock off for cash on a display model?
[/quote]

Gear4Music across in York have just moved to a brand new (HUGE!) showroom. From Leeds, it is easy to get to and they now have a set-up/maintenance team that set everything up before it hits the shop floor. The show room is now attached to the warehouse too, so they can get stuff out for you to try in no time if they had it in stock. Give them a call and see what they can do?

[quote name='omikin' timestamp='1399649616' post='2446333']
[/quote]

The best price depends on a lot of things, not least of all how long it has been in the shop without anyone buying it. Firstly though , do you know if it is a post-2012 model with the Custom Shop pickup? If it isn't then it is worth a whole lot less .

Find out what and where the best U.k online price is and ask them how close they can get to it. Also, see if they can throw in some strings or any other accessories you might need to sweeten the deal . That might make up for a slightly higher retail price.

Dingus - it is a 2012 spec one with the CS pups. As I say, I didn't give it a full inspection but it looked pristine. And their sales price is the same as everyone's online. Doesn't look like there are any bargains to be had outside haggling. But then I like a good haggle. :)

[quote name='omikin' timestamp='1399650833' post='2446355']
Dingus - it is a 2012 spec one with the CS pups. As I say, I didn't give it a full inspection but it looked pristine. And their sales price is the same as everyone's online. Doesn't look like there are any bargains to be had outside haggling. But then I like a good haggle. :)
[/quote] ermm... I'm going to throw a curve ball at you you might not have factored in.
Firstly PMT leeds, it aint a bad shop so I doubt you'll get bad service, they have a wee bit of flexibility on prices when I've asked about things... if how long it's been on the wall bothers you (it would be of no issue at all to me) then they seem to have a fairly quick turnaround.

secondly...

Fender basses (in my experience and opinion, and as reflected by the view of a fair few folk who write on forums like this) are fairly inconsistent in terms of sound, feel fit and finish. What I take this to mean in practice is that if you want consistency get a sadowsky or something... but while there are a fair few uninspiring and dead sounding Fenders out there (in all the ranges) if, when you find a good one.... my word it will be good.
So if you've found a good one... that fits you... then don't expect the same model from bass direct or gear4music or whoever to be the same bass. If you've found a good one - jump on it!

If you find a nice example where Fender have done everything right , those Am St basses with the CS pickups are as good as "boutique" basses in , my opinion. Sound great, play great, built to last with excellent hardware

Sounds like they are already doing a decent price and , as you quite rightly say, all you can do is go in there with the money in your pocket and see what you can do. I would be surprised if you couldn't sort out something that has you leaving that shop with a smile on your face , the bass in your hands and your money in their till. :)

Edited by Dingus

Given that you've repeat flipped to get maple, and that you seem to want one that looks and feels like the particular one that you've played then i'd just haggle a little and buy it. You'll absolutely kick yourself if the one you wind up with isn't quite as perfect the one you've played, and despite small price difference and sweeteners, that's got to be the priority. Also if it's local then you can get it straight away

And my go to bass is a maple necked Fender P so I can't disagree there!

[quote name='omikin' timestamp='1399654981' post='2446416']
I can feel a visit to PMT happening early next week.
[/quote] :D I might go have a look at your new bass tomorrow. :biggrin: BTW if you ring them they might put it to one side for you.

If you've seen a specific one you like then I'd buy that one and not shop around for something similar online.

Fender QC has really improved and there's a lot less duff ones out there than there used to be. However, you still come across the odd one. If you come across a good 'un then I'd even suggest it might be worth a few quid more than a random one from a warehouse :)

[quote name='lucky' timestamp='1399653104' post='2446385']
Given that you've repeat flipped to get maple, and that you seem to want one that looks and feels like the particular one that you've played then i'd just haggle a little and buy it. You'll absolutely kick yourself if the one you wind up with isn't quite as perfect the one you've played, and despite small price difference and sweeteners, that's got to be the priority. Also if it's local then you can get it straight away

And my go to bass is a maple necked Fender P so I can't disagree there!
[/quote]

Agree on all that, get the one you already know you like, rather than save a few quid and get one you wish plays like the one you didn`t buy.