Why become a member? ×

Recording . Is it only me that gets frustrated doing it?

There are many times that I want to record ideas , and hopefully make them sound half decent to share with friends and feel like I've achieved something.
I have bass(obviously), many apps , a mac , garageband , ipad, logic , user interface (podfarm) .
You get the idea. It seems like I have all the gear, and no idea.

I have recorded stuff on soundcloud.

It seems tho', that I keep hitting a dead end. All I want is, beginning/ middle/end.
(Would be verse/chorus/bridge if I played guitar or could sing).

I find trying to merge different drum tempos a pain . I find garageband very glitchy and temperamental.
Logic looks more complicated. Some apps such as alchemy, or sunriser are great. Trying to merge this with bass can be a pain also.
Sometimes, I have ideas for metal, and end up doing stuff that would give hallucinations.

I was thinking of getting a hand held recorder, that can record on the spot while I'm noodling away , then upload onto my mac.

I was thinking of going on a brief recording course, but am too old for that.
Any ideas?
Am I the only one that feels this way?
Please give your opinions.
Cheers

Logic is easier than Garageband.

Maybe try writing using a different instrument ?

I usually use a piano in Logic, maybe electric or acoustic, and just experiment with chords.

I also get excited by a sound, and mess with that.

Bass is usually the last thing that I consider, but my stuff is more soundscape'ish, it's definitely not verse/chorus or anything,

My latest thing on soundcloud is actually bass though, no synths, but also some Chapman stick.

Just experiment, and have fun.

:)

I think what you are trying to do is more simple than what you are trying to do it on. Perhaps all you need is a hard disc recorder such as one of these, http://www.thomann.de/gb/boss_micro_br_br80.htm or even an old portastudio. Not as versatile I know, but a lot easier to use.

[quote name='RAY AGAINST THE MACHINE' timestamp='1399575862' post='2445576']
Sometimes, I have ideas for metal, and end up doing stuff that would give hallucinations.
[/quote]

I always see things like this a good thing! Something unexpected that can sometimes send a track into a totally different direction.

But I feel your pain, it can be tough sometimes to get a structure together. Just stick at it and don't be afraid to come out with something rubbish, at the end of it all you'll have learnt something and no one has to hear it if you don't want them to!

[quote name='bertbass' timestamp='1399576473' post='2445584']
I think what you are trying to do is more simple than what you are trying to do it on. Perhaps all you need is a hard disc recorder such as one of these, http://www.thomann.de/gb/boss_micro_br_br80.htm or even an old portastudio. Not as versatile I know, but a lot easier to use.
[/quote]

Mmm, yeah I was thinking of something like that. I keep hearing/seeing how garageband(and computer recording in general) is supposed to be the way to go. It's made to look so easy .

[quote name='Mornats' timestamp='1399576792' post='2445593']

I always see things like this a good thing! Something unexpected that can sometimes send a track into a totally different direction.

But I feel your pain, it can be tough sometimes to get a structure together. Just stick at it and don't be afraid to come out with something rubbish, at the end of it all you'll have learnt something and no one has to hear it if you don't want them to!
[/quote]

True, but what happens a lot is that I get error messages in garageband and stuff is lost. My mac may fly out of the window one day.

Logic is a lot easier than the latest version of Garageband anyway.

I used Garageband quite a lot, then got into Logic 9 and then X last year. I went back to Garageband recently to answer a question on here for someone, I couldn't work it out at all :) .

Unfortunately there's no 'magic bullet' to recording... you just need to dedicate some time to learning the software and techniques, just as you would when learning an instrument.

Rest assured you're not alone! What you're describing is probably the most common frustration when learning recording/ mixing/ production. You want it to be easy, right? But you open up Logic and it looks like the flight deck of a Boeing 747. Everyone feels like that in the beginning.

Get on YouTube, work your way through some tutorials... give it time! It WILL start to become easier, quicker, more creative, etc.

And if you want some help along the way, come and say hello in the Recording forum :)

Well, you know the score;) I'll make more of an effort now . While I'm writing this, I might as well mention how I got involved in recording bits..
Went to rockstop near Denmark street, asking for something to record my bass to my mac.
I came out with line 6 gearbox( now toneport ux1/ podfarm). Love the design. Then I got stuck.
Read a few tutorials on garageband . Then I found it too daunting.
Got more confident with it, but still could only do basic stuff with one drum pattern all the way through.
Being in bands, and working made me lapse and not bother for years.
Now I'm not in bands, but am getting agitated.

There appear to me to be two different questions here; how to record, and what to record. The tutorials, trial and (lots of...) error, doing quite a few more simple pieces and a big bucket-full of patience will get you through the first part, no problem, and quite quickly. For the second, perhaps some notions of harmony, or chord construction and linking..? Are you trying to compose like Shostakovich with only a knowledge of 12-bar and pentatonics..? Are these pieces multi-instrumental, full orchestra or sketches for other folks to chip in on..? There's no magic to inspiration except, just maybe, long walks on wild heaths. Oxygen, that's key; oxygen.
Elaborate your needs and we'll come up with still wackier suggestions, I'm sure. Some of them might even work... B)

Well, I certainly know my limitations. I'm more capt. Than michael manring . I have a lot of stuff that works .(loads of swooshing synths etc).
Putting it together is a big issue here. Putting drum samples in is so annoying also. All of this is more complex than a couple of akai cassette decks ;)

Have you considered that what you're doing isn't meant to have a 'structure', or follow a traditional pattern ?

Most drum samples are pretty crap, though the new drum thing in logic X is pretty good. I tend to use percussion more than actual drums.

Maybe advertise for a collaborator ? Wouldn't have to be local to you, could even be the other side of the world.

:)

I know where you're coming from - I struggle composing stuff too - I use Band In a Box, but there a only a few Real Band sounds that I like. I spend hours inputting chords and then changing them because they're not quite right....put in a middle 8 and make the chords too complicated so can never find a way back to the verse! I find it's better if I noodle on the piano first.....

I've sussed the recording side of things with my sax over playalong backing tracks - I use my clip on Shure condenser mic into the PC and I use Audacity - that works really well. I don't have the gear to record the bass properly (will need a mixer so I'm told :unsure: ) so I've been using a hand held Zoom just recording the sound from the Hi-Fi and the bass amp....pretty rubbish results! ( it doesn't help that I'm not much of a bass player either ;) )

[quote name='SaxyBassist' timestamp='1399581655' post='2445683']
I know where you're coming from - I struggle composing stuff too - I use Band In a Box, but there a only a few Real Band sounds that I like. I spend hours inputting chords and then changing them because they're not quite right....put in a middle 8 and make the chords too complicated so can never find a way back to the verse! I find it's better if I noodle on the piano first.....

I've sussed the recording side of things with my sax over playalong backing tracks - I use my clip on Shure condenser mic into the PC and I use Audacity - that works really well. I don't have the gear to record the bass properly (will need a mixer so I'm told :unsure: ) so I've been using a hand held Zoom just recording the sound from the Hi-Fi and the bass amp....pretty rubbish results! ( it doesn't help that I'm not much of a bass player either ;) )
[/quote]

You sound very talented. Btw; I use podfarm for bass( lots of amps and effects). It came with my toneport interface.
I thought about the zoom . Still pondering. Unfortunately, I only play bass. Can make various synth noises.
If I try stuff like nine inch nails, it's more ' council tax.'oh well..;)