Why become a member? ×

Advice on Badass bridge please

surfguy13

Hi Guys

I have been playing a p bass pretty much exclusively for ages now and have just started using my old Martin EB-18 again that has a badass 2 bridge.....well, I [i]think [/i]it's a 2. Anyway, the problem I'm having is that when I'm resting the side of my hand on the bridge the sharp point on the leading edge of the E saddle is literally cutting my hand. No idea why this has never happened before, certainly can't remember it ever happening before. Photo below:

[URL=http://s956.photobucket.com/user/guymerchant/media/iceandbadass009_zps2304b9ba.jpg.html][IMG]http://i956.photobucket.com/albums/ae45/guymerchant/iceandbadass009_zps2304b9ba.jpg[/IMG][/URL]

I am loathe to file the saddle down but it is [i]really [/i]sharp and a pretty chunky mother too. Just wondering if anyone else had experienced this problem? Also, any ideas how to resolve this without filing the saddle? Ta!

You could bandage your hand like Kirk Hammett, or get a replacement saddle made - or make one yourself - with a rounded edge, that way, should you ever feel the need, you could put the old one back on.

It does look like an incredibly uncomfortable bridge for a pick player. I had similar problems with proud saddle adjustment screws, but that was a very easy fix.

Edited by KingBollock

[quote name='discreet' timestamp='1398779507' post='2437509']
Or you could gaffa tape a bit of mousemat rubber over it temporarily. Not pretty, but less painful. ;)
[/quote]

Yeah, it works for half an hour or so but it ends up just coming off. I tried masking tape but that just wore through.....the saddles really are incredibly sharp. I usually rest my thumb on the top of the pickup housing but I sometimes use a pick or thumb and that means I need to rest my hand on the saddles. Thanks anyway.....! :)

[quote name='fretmeister' timestamp='1398778392' post='2437500']
File it. Won't need a lot just to smooth it off.
[/quote]

This.

Not sure its a II though - I'm fairly sure they have five screws holding them to the bass body. My guess is that it is a BadAss I. The BIII is also three attachment holes (like yours) but has a much smoother look...

Edited by Conan

You could get a metal plate, something long enough to cover the side of the bridge and wide enough to cover the height of the bridge with enough to bend over it. So you'd end up with a J shaped plate that you could stick to the bridge. Or maybe a piece of plastic cut from a container of some sort. I know some people use adhesive tapes and stuff to stick thumb rests to their basses, something like that would work to stick the plate to the bridge.

I'm not sure if my description made any sense but I'm too tired to crack up a diagram.

Maybe turn the saddle round so the "slope" is pointing forwards and the sharp edge is facing the rear of the bridge... Could cause problems with intonation or even string breakage but maybe not.. From the pic the flat top edge which is the point of contact with the string doesn't look angled??

Otherwise I'd be inclined to go with the other suggestions and get the file out.

Hope you sort it.

Out of interest how stable are the strings over those saddles? None of them seem to have a groove for the string to sit in (though having said that if you did groove the saddles the strings would sit a little lower and you seem to like the saddles/action adjusted to be quite high).

Thanks Conan, you're right, it's definitely a Badass 1 not a 2. As you say, the 2 is a bit sleeker and more user friendly.

Likewise KingBollock.....that's not a bad idea. Cutting a piece off a plastic container and fitting it round the saddle. Hmmmmm....I shall try that! Many thanks.

I did think of turning the saddles round dustandbarley but I don't think it will work.....I reckon intonation would be a problem.

The strings are pretty stable over the saddles HowieBass....never had an issue. There are very tiny grooves in the saddles, definitely factory unless they have been precision machined, and they act to [i]just [/i]keep the string where it's meant to be. I do like the saddles/action quite high but even if I lowered the saddles I think I would potentially have the same problem.

I really like this bridge...it feels solid and a good lump to rest your hand on. However, I'm just going to have to get this sorted....I'm going to try a corner off a plastic container first and maybe stick ii in place with a small lump of bluetack. If that doesn't work then I'm going to have to file it as Fretmeister and discreet suggested. Bugger! :( I'll report back as and when I find a fix. Thanks guys and.......any more suggestions warmly welcomed! :)

[quote name='HowieBass' timestamp='1398784556' post='2437574']
You'd probably have problems trying to fit an ashtray over that bridge wouldn't you?
[/quote]

Hmmmm...? Never even considered that. Might be worth a try because it doesn't have to look pretty, just functional. Likewise, going with the idea of using the corner of a plastic container to ncover the edge of the saddle, I suppose it may be possible to simply fashion and ashtray from a plastic container. Excellent idea.....! :)

[quote name='Roland Rock' timestamp='1398786631' post='2437594']
A (P) ashtray doesn't fit over a Badass (III), I've tried :-(
[/quote]

I've tried looking for the dimensions of the various Badass bridges (couldn't find what I was really after) but it seems the first Badass (I) bridge (which is the type in question here) is a little narrower than the later 'II' and 'III' versions but I suspect it's going to be the height that presents the problem for a standard P type ashtray (though I've read that using velcro to mount it, using strips on the body of the bass and on the 'wings' of the cover are sufficient to give clearance over the bridge).

I did try the ashtray off my p bass just to get an idea and it's a long way off....like HowieBass says, it's the height that's the issue. The difference between a standard p bass bridge and this Badass 1 is considerable. However, I genuinely don't mind what it looks like and when HowieBass mentioned an ashtray that sparked the idea of making a DIY ashtray from just about anything ranging from plastic containers cut to size and gaffer taped together to fit over the bridge to a wooden ashtray made of thin ply. Although there are a number of negatives with the Badass 1 bridge the positive is that it's rectangular so I reckon that even I could fashion something fairly robust that will push fit on/off the bridge. Even something as silly as a golden virginia tin pop riveted together! ;)

Maybe see about getting somebody make a thick plastic ashtray to your specification?

This company http://www.theplasticpeople.co.uk/ says "Our plastics are suitable for home projects as well as display, design, commercial and trade applications. We supply low cost, cut to size plastic as well as sheets of Acrylic, Perspex, Polycarbonate, PVC, Correx and many other plastics. We bend and shape plastic too, making many different products and bespoke items so if there is something you require please email us your drawing and we’ll reply with a quotation."

[quote name='HowieBass' timestamp='1398800793' post='2437787']
Maybe see about getting somebody make a thick plastic ashtray to your specification?

This company [url="http://www.theplasticpeople.co.uk/"]http://www.theplasticpeople.co.uk/[/url] says "Our plastics are suitable for home projects as well as display, design, commercial and trade applications. We supply low cost, cut to size plastic as well as sheets of Acrylic, Perspex, Polycarbonate, PVC, Correx and many other plastics. We bend and shape plastic too, making many different products and bespoke items so if there is something you require please email us your drawing and we’ll reply with a quotation."
[/quote]

Blimey, that's absolutely brilliant. I can't see that it would be difficult to make and it would be a hell of a lot better to have something made to measure. It would be a doddle to measure and draw what I need. Really appreciate the link and I will get back to you and let you know how I get on!

That's subjective to technique. I play a mix of styles & the only time I rest my hand on the bridge is for palm muting.

See when you play the E string, where does your hand sit? I'm taking it doesn't sit on the bridge? It doesn't need to sit on the bridge for any of the other strings.
Yes it may take a little practice & some getting used to, but there's more advantages to be had (such as less blood on the bass :P ).

[quote name='xgsjx' timestamp='1398928919' post='2439034']
That's subjective to technique.
[/quote]

Well it is - but I can only refer to my own, which is to rest my palm on the bridge when using a pick. Even for the E string. :P