Why become a member? ×

Peavey T40 / LaCabronita / Dusty Hill tribute

FEND3R

I know the title sounds a bit weird but a while back I saw a butchered 1978 Peavey T40 in a pawn shop [i](half the body had been chopped off)[/i] and decided to save it from the misery:

My initial idea was to make a new body body to its original specs, but the damn thing was so heavy and since I am not a huge fan of the sound of swamp ash [i](which in my experience is usually the lightest possible option)[/i], decided to go with alder. Despite the latter my bass tech finally choose to make it from basswood and did not inform me but it turned out nice. On the other side I am no huge fan of multiple pickups so decided to leave only one in the sweet spot, which automatically reminded me of the cabronita fender bass. This brought out the '51 precision body shape, and as one thing leads to another [i](and since I am a huge fan of Dusty Hill and his crazy goldish '51p custom variations) [/i]decided to go with a gold finish. Here's the result:

Of course the guys from the local paint shop claimed the above to be Shoreline Gold and in a way I don't believe it is but nevertheless I do like the final result [i](please, excuse my terrible photography skills)[/i]:

Sound wise I am more than satisfied - sounds a bit like a P on steroids but with a different vibe and since all my other basses are precisions its nice to have something a bit different. And please, Peavey purists, do not crucify me, I've kept all the other parts and one day intend to make another body to original specs and return it to its original 70's glory.

Edited by FEND3R

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...