Why become a member? ×

NBD - Mike Dirnt Road Worn Blonde/RW

sPiKi

Well after a few weeks trying to shift my MIA P bass, I eventually got it sold last week and bought this on Thursday in its place. :)
I know the whole thing about relicing/road worn divides bassists but this looks and feels as cool as anything. Really has to be seen to appreciate the quality of the workmanship. Neck is definitely more comfortable than the MIA P and the frets are great, nice and smooth and very similar to my MIA J. The relicing on the hardware is very well done. Like MD says in the Fender video it really is more like a white wash and the grain of the ash comes through very nicely.
As far as tone is concerned, its your classic P sound only with more punch and growl. Had to tweak the EQ on my V4BH and cut the mids a bit but overall was very impressive with a nice clang on the low E. A couple of people admired my 'tele bass' and another aspect I like about this bass is that it doesn't look like a gimmicky signature guitar (I don't really care for Green Day, although do like MD's playing). Hard case is very cool too - well constructed, nice little Fender logo and snug fit.

Edited by sPiKi

Hey mate, what pickup is in this? I have one if the original mike dirnt p basses, this looks
Like a massive improvement. The neck on mine was ridiculous so I had it shaved down, and the pickup had a very low output, but did sound really nice. Mine now sports a Quarter pounder P and a jazz bridge instead.
Would love to try one of these new ones though!

[quote name='Damonjames' timestamp='1397490588' post='2424426']
Hey mate, what pickup is in this? I have one if the original mike dirnt p basses, this looks
Like a massive improvement. The neck on mine was ridiculous so I had it shaved down, and the pickup had a very low output, but did sound really nice. Mine now sports a Quarter pounder P and a jazz bridge instead.
Would love to try one of these new ones though!
[/quote]

Its a 59 custom shop pup. Was tweaking it today and have lowered all 4 poles and its a much more balanced tone now. Sounds great. The guitar itself looks very rock n roll and as I said above, any reservations people may have over paying for RW stuff would probably be persuaded by the work on this. The cracking of the paint etc is really impressive. Sorry if I have given you GAS :)

Lots more pics here:

https://www.dropbox.com/sh/due26j7ddszmkxa/rnkCNAaV2V

Edited by sPiKi

[quote name='Musicman20' timestamp='1397492389' post='2424449']
PS - Is the new hardcase stock on these?
[/quote]

I think so although it doesn't state so on the Fender site. I got the same as in the Thomann listing:

http://www.thomann.de/gb/fender_mike_dirnt_road_worn_p_bass_rw_2.htm?sid=87b27b81f51a11679a3647d106ed5f8d

[quote name='sPiKi' timestamp='1397499450' post='2424544']
I think so although it doesn't state so on the Fender site. I got the same as in the Thomann listing:

[url="http://www.thomann.de/gb/fender_mike_dirnt_road_worn_p_bass_rw_2.htm?sid=87b27b81f51a11679a3647d106ed5f8d"]http://www.thomann.d...a3647d106ed5f8d[/url]
[/quote]

I think the fact they are now including proper cases on these makes them a really bargain.

No the pickups are fine; the pickups were lowered considerably at the E and G string. I've adjusted them so they are nearly flat and the tone sounds cleaner and more controlled. There's plenty of room for yer thumb.

Edited by sPiKi