Why become a member? ×

String-through ferrules falling out

Josh

Hey guys,

Just a quick question, I've recently recieved a brand new 2013 USA Fender Standard jazz and upon changing the strings 3 of the 4 through-body stringing ferrules dropped off.

Surely this can't be right on a brand new bass?

Thanks guys,

Josh.

Edited by Josh

I`ve got a 2011 and a 2008, had a 2012, 2010 and another 2008, and it`s happened/happens on all of them aside from my current 2008. It`s the reason why I use the string-thru, to keep the darn things in. On otherwise great instruments this aspect is the only defect that I can think of.

If it's brand new and you bought it from a shop in your area. Go back and speak to the manager. Tell him what happened, have a bit of a rant and say you are seriously thinking of taking it back (as is your right). Then see what he'll offer you as compensation. You could get a decent credit note or discount off something else you fancy.

Alternatively, if you got it online from a shop miles away, just get the superglue out.

I really, really don't like stringing through a body so loose ferrules would seriously annoy me!

It won't be the shop's fault but they should offer to fix them for free. I doubt they'd give any additional compensation though because it will have arrived that way from Fender and I don't know of any shop that would remove the stock strings from a bass to check if the ferrules were properly seated.

Pragmatically the shop would probably offer to repair unless you reject bass as not of merchantable quality. Rejecting can be quite difficult as I found out when my 2013 Honda CRV developed a major engine whine at 5000 miles.

As above the repair is superglue and dead easy to do. Yes loose ferrules are disappointing, shows a lack of quality control somewhere.

Edited by 3below

[quote name='Beedster' timestamp='1396982336' post='2419484']
Ha ha, Corona is my guess mate :D
[/quote]

Being of a similar generation

I did not realise they glued them in with fizzy pop....

Edited by 3below

Thanks for the replies guys.

I bought it from PMT online last tuesday, it was the last one in stock from the store in Norwich. My nearest store is Bristol which isn't a problem as I'm in Bristol for Uni most days.

To be honest I'm disappointed in the jazz, it looks fantastic and the neck is amazing, whereas the sound leaves a lot to be desired. My Squier CV with Wizard 64's sounds far better to my ears. Hopefully I can get a refund as I bought it on the Pay 4 Less scheme which has a 2 week grace period.

I knew I should've bought a Lakland JO from GuitarGuitar instead.

Edited by Josh