Why become a member? ×

New Bass! Gibson EB 2014

CalJock

So I recently came into a wee bit of extra cash so like any sensible person I bought some new toys. The first being a new 2014 Gibson EB bass in the 'Brilliant Red' Finish.

So I've had it for a couple of weeks now. Used it at one rehearsal/live recording. Verdict = Awesome. Loads of bass nice top end, pretty light but heavier than my vm squier jazz (which is stupid light). I love the electronics in this thing, although I had to take it back to GAK to get a wiring issue fixed (the neck volume pot had no ground wire soldered to it so when the volumes were down it still put out a fair bit of volume). It's pretty high output for a passive instrument, comparable to the G&L L2000 tribute (in passive mode) I had a few years ago.

The necks nice similar to a p-bass by my reckoning, but others may disagree. No neck dive either so a big + there as well.

Overall The sounds is exactly what I've been looking for it does remind me of my old G&L but a little mellower and more rounded.

Really loving this instrument and for the price it's well worth it I think when you take into account the hardcase (which is lovely and plush!) and especially as they threw in a new pack of strings and schaller strap locks.

If I think of anything else I'll add it in.

Cheers,
Calum

Cheers all! Yeah she's a beaut, I was going to go for the natural finish but decided that I may as well be fancy and get something that wasn't black or wooden looking and I defo made the right choice. I didn't expect the slight burst that it has either which is a nice touch.

ahpook, do it they're lovely, easy on the eyes, ears, and the bank balance (comparatively)!

Yup, I concur with all of that - I am enjoying my Bullion Gold 2014 EB very much. I'm still not 100% enamoured with the finish (and I don't suppose I ever will be), but it stays and continues to charm me because of how good it sounds and how good it feels to play.

Bit of a downer about the wiring on yours though - glad you got it sorted OK. That would have been very irritating for me, being up in Aberdeen and buying at distance. Thankfully, mine arrived with no such issues.

No neck dive here - just like all my other Gibson basses, ahpook ;)

• 4 weeks later...

Just ordered an EB a from Thormann for ........ £525 delivered with 3 year warranty for the Black / Tort one !!! If that's not a bargain nowt is, looking forward to hopefully getting it next week and having a blast on the Saturday all being well, will be interesting to see how it stands up against the Gibson Thunderbird .... will report back