Why become a member? ×

A Bit Surprised Really.....

yorks5stringer

You may have noticed the Yorkshire Bass Bash decided to put 3 items donated for the Raffle up for National Raffle/Auction. A North West member then donated a Practice Amp too.

All these items finish tonight, Saturday 12th July between 8.00 and 8.30 pm.

The winning bidders have an opportunity to nominate to which musically related charity the money raised in that Auction/Raffle goes.(See opening thread in each Raffle/Auction for details)

Given the traffic on this site, less than 60 people out of the entire Basschatters Community (3500?) have pledged money on the Raffle (£3.50/£5.00 ticket) with 3 currently bidding for the lovely Tanglewood Bass.

At the risk of being flamed, I'm really surprised there has not been a bigger response from members: remember it is possible to contribute to these worthy charities even if you don't wish to keep the item, just give instructions for that to happen when you Paypal.

Whilst I'm sure some of you do contribute to Charities by offering your own/band's services free, I thought we would get more involved than currently pledged......

Unless there is a late rush in Sales ( :) could I have done this differently and better?

P.S. It's not too late to enter the Raffles or the Auction!

Edited by yorks5stringer

I'm not flaming, nor in much of a position to have a particularly valid opinion (Student, parents house yada yada) so take any of my opinions with this in mind.

The items arnt particularly desirable, especially in a market so full of good quility cheap gear. If the auction was for say a Mexican Jazz signed by such and such an artist it would be a whole different story im sure! Good bass, Within most peoples "acceptable" price bracket and the desirability factor of an artists endorsement would make the whole thing that little bit more interesting!

However any charitable work is good charitable work and i hope you raise a fair amount!

And as a side note i personally find the Figures of people pledging against site traffic approach make it out like i should be obliged to give money to come on the site. Im aware the moneys for good causes and im sure many people do more than just offer bands services for free.

Edited by ste_m3

Again, I'm not flaming at all, and I understand the frustration behind the original post....

...but I'm not sure it's entirely in good taste complaining that people don't want to give to any particular cause or charitable event. Everyone has their own reasons, so I'm not going to go into mine.

IMO the original post also sort of undermines the people who have contributed, it's a classic case of glass half-empty, just see the 60 members who have kindly given as being the glass half-full :)

Good Luck

Si

[quote name='ste_m3' post='238022' date='Jul 12 2008, 04:10 PM']I'm not flaming, nor in much of a position to have a particularly valid opinion (Student, parents house yada yada) so take any of my opinions with this in mind.

The items arnt particularly desirable, especially in a market so full of good quility cheap gear. If the auction was for say a Mexican Jazz signed by such and such an artist it would be a whole different story im sure! Good bass, Within most peoples "acceptable" price bracket and the desirability factor of an artists endorsement would make the whole thing that little bit more interesting![/quote]
I was going to say it but i didn't want to sound like an arse, and i realise that people aren't as willing to just give away better gear, obviously, but i think maybe something like even a used squier jazz would have gone down better, i know i would have been more likely to have a punt.

I’d love to donate, but I’ve just graduated, don’t have a job (despite 6 weeks of looking and a f***ing degree – whole lot of good the last 3 years have been), have to pay rent/utility bills etc, and I’m selling gear on here so I don’t get to the point where being evicted from my house is a possibility…it’s not always as black and white as people just being tight.

I definitely sympathise with you though, and of course it’s disappointing that more people haven’t contributed. Was this raffle/auction supported by the mods? Maybe they could have done more to make members aware that it was happening? – such as a temporary notice on the home page with a link to any relevant pages? Forgive me if a lot has been done to support this event by the moderators and members alike, but as far as I’m aware, the related threads have not been the most high profile on the site recently, so maybe more could have been done?

I don’t think the quality of the gear should stop people from making charitable donations though; you have to remember that this is for a good cause and not a competition in a magazine.

[quote name='thisnameistaken' post='238055' date='Jul 12 2008, 04:50 PM']I've never heard of any of the charities. The auctions haven't exactly been high-profile either - it might be that most visitors haven't even seen them.[/quote]

Me for one :)

[quote name='thisnameistaken' post='238055' date='Jul 12 2008, 04:50 PM']I've never heard of any of the charities. The auctions haven't exactly been high-profile either - it might be that most visitors haven't even seen them.[/quote]
+1

Could I also play Devil's Advocate and say that charity starts at home? Maybe profits could go to running this site that provides counselling and support to a lot of sad bass players like me. :)

Edited by stingrayfan

Thanks to all for their valuable feedback: I'm glad that some of you felt you were able to comment without being thought "uncharitable"!

I really don't want to appear as if I'm defending my original message against any of the subsequent points raised but it may be worth noting:

1. The basses, cases and amp were all donated, mostly by fellow Basschatters. I don't think I could have gone back and said "Could you not donate your Fender/ MM/Warwick/SX instead"?

2. I've felt as if all I've been doing for the last 2 weeks is constantly bumping these items to give them a higher profile: it seems not everyone must visit the For Sale sections!

3. All the Charities nominated were actually ones suggested by Basschatters on this Board! The winning bidder/ticket holder gets to chose which Charity the proceeds of their draw goes to.

4. The proceeds of the Yorkshire Bassbash Raffle will be going to Basschat itself, a registered charity.

5. Yes, the Moderators were asked in the first instance if the Raffles/Auction were OK

Just to repeat, I'm not having a go at anyone, either respondee above or just reading: I just wonder if the points mentioned above had been clearer then the response would have been greater?

Anyway, need to put on my Dinner Suit, the Grand Draw starts in 15 minutes...cue drums!

Edited by yorks5stringer

[quote name='yorks5stringer' post='238149' date='Jul 12 2008, 07:46 PM']1. The basses, cases and amp were all donated, mostly by fellow Basschatters. I don't think I could have gone back and said "Could you not donate your Fender/ MM/Warwick/SX instead"?[/quote]
Oh yeah i know that, it's just unfortunate, beggars can't be choosers i suppose. I'm just saying, i know it was for charity but the stuff that was up for grabs wasn't that desirable, plus with the 'credit crunch' and that i think auctions aren't necessarily the route to go down.

I give around £40 a month to charities, not to mention a significant amount of my time as chairman for a local children's charity. I get accosted at least twice a week by armies of chuggers in the high street outside my work.

You have my utmost respect for your efforts with this charity raffle, but you need to accept that not all fundraising activities are successful.

A word of advice for the future. Fundraising activities need to be eye-catching. Every charity does raffles.

Whilst i respect the OP's efforts.

There are a small number of what i call BC regulars, of which i call myself one of them. Only the regulars who have a steady income would probably of taken part in it.

It's a bad time for the credit crunch, I am a student, I did go in for the extreme bass raffle. However i am really suffering with the current prices of food and fuel (Indirectly).

My charitable contribution is 10 pounds a month to Shelter which is a homeless persons charity. That comes straight out of my pay packet tax free.

It's all down to circumstance of the times we live in rather then BCers being mean fisted.

Also 3500 members doesant mean much, Many of those members just lurk around for a bargain on the classfieds and dont participate in anything else. Others registered and dont come back.

Edited by Shockwave