Why become a member? ×

Michael Gove is a rapper and likes Public Enemy!

Bassnut62

[quote name='Bassnut62' timestamp='1396023566' post='2409180']
Holy Sh1t, I did think rap could bring about a revolution; but in the words of PE or NWA, not a rap by Michael Gove.......This day is getting more strange!
[/quote]

Michael Gove is what is technically referred to in the world of Hip Hop as a whack ass rapper, and is incapable of a convincing appearance on BBC Question Time, let alone inspiring a revolution among young people with his rendition of Wham Rap, which, ironically enough espouses the joys of taking life easy and living on State Benefits . Maybe that song is where Michael got his very set ideas about the deserving and undeserving poor.

Rather, my vision is that Gove and his kind will be the victims of formidable rapping skills honed in the inner city comprehensive schools of Britain as those institutions are progressively more denuded of proper resources, and pupils and teachers alike have no choice but to use rap to disseminate ideas because of a shortage of conventional textbooks.

[quote name='NancyJohnson' timestamp='1396017805' post='2409089']
If it had been someone from the Labour party (or probably any party in opposition) the result/response from the media would have been [s]completely the opposite and showing they were in fact, [i]down with the kids[/i][/s]. pretty much exactly the same, only with the abuse coming from the Mail rather than the Mirror.
[/quote]
Fixed for depressing accuracy.

+1

What amazes me is how Gove has allegedly managed to single-handedly ruin the British education system in less than four years. He must be a pretty powerful chap and far more decisive than those in charge during the last 30 years of chopping and changing our education system.

[quote name='skankdelvar' timestamp='1396021169' post='2409141']
My dear Skej - is it a matter of syllabus, approach, resources or established musical education philosophy which holds back the budding [s]Vanessa Mae[/s] YoYo Ma? Ignoring Mr Gove for a moment, what could be changed for the better?[/quote]

[quote name='skej21' timestamp='1396022158' post='2409158']
I'm not sure there's an approach that does work and with that in mind, I think Gove has a difficult job. However, he needs to realise that the best way to create a rounded approach is to take a consensus of opinions from people who have dedicated their life to researching teaching methods and compound as many of the successful findings into an approach that can be fairly assessed but more importantly, get the best possible outcome from EVERY pupil. It's not about acheiving a perceived standard of success, it's about acheiving what is the best possible standard for each individual (which isn't the same thing!).

Goves idea of 'teaching standards should be like they were when I was little' shows his lack of knowledge in the area. He wants us to revert to a lesser teaching standard because he is familiar with it. What he should be doing is admitting his lack of knowledge and drawing on the expertise of people in that area to move things forward. However, that means he'd have to lose face and that's where the problem lies. Politicians don't like to show weakness as it belittles their position in the eyes of the public, meaning we're less likely to vote them in again.[/quote]

Perhaps. But that seems mostly to be about Mr Gove's failings in the wider arena which most would agree are open to rational criticism (unless one is a performer in Dingus's troupe of agit-prop drama queens where anyone to the right of Trotsky is a moustache-twirling baby-eater in a top hat).

:) But like I asked: As a music teacher what would you do to enhance standards of musical education? Blank page, new start. Surely you must have a view, even if it's something like 'Do away with trombones'.

I'm genuinely interested, as another teacher popped up in the last Gove thread and mentioned his disquiet at childrens' musical ability and understanding.

Edited by skankdelvar

[quote name='skankdelvar' timestamp='1396043166' post='2409484']

Perhaps. But that seems mostly to be about Mr Gove's failings in the wider arena which I agree are open to rational debate, unless one is a member of Dingus's agit-prop theatre group where anyone to the right of Trotsky is a baby-eater in a top hat.

:) But like I asked: As a music teacher what would you do to enhance standards of musical education? Blank page, new start. Surely you must have a view, even if it's something like 'Do away with trombones'.

I'm genuinely interested, as another teacher popped up in the last Gove thread and mentioned his disquiet at childrens' musical ability and understanding.
[/quote]

Like i said, that's one not for Basschat. I appreciate you wish me to make a definitive statement but (after tonight's events off Basschat) I haven't really got the energy to deal with what it will ensue. It's clear that my opinion opposes those of other members and further comments will just continue to antogonise. I can't really be arsed with the cyclic arguments. Let's just say I disagree with the current direction of our education system and I'm probably wrong. The end.

[quote name='skej21' timestamp='1396043590' post='2409497']
Like i said, that's one not for Basschat. I appreciate you wish me to make a definitive statement but (after tonight's events off Basschat) I haven't really got the energy to deal with what it will ensue. It's clear that my opinion opposes those of other members and further comments will just continue to antogonise. I can't really be arsed with the cyclic arguments. Let's just say I disagree with the current direction of our education system and I'm probably wrong. The end.
[/quote]

Absolutely fair enough, Sir. Maybe we can revisit the specifics of musical education another time. :)

[quote name='skankdelvar' timestamp='1396043166' post='2409484']
Perhaps. But that seems mostly to be about Mr Gove's failings in the wider arena which most would agree are open to rational criticism (unless one is a performer in Dingus's troupe of agit-prop drama queens where anyone to the right of Trotsky is a moustache-twirling baby-eater in a top hat).

[/quote]

I would love to respond in full, but I am currently busy trying to source some ethically manufactured dungarees

. Suffice to say that any judgement of Michael Gove's performance as Education Minister depends on an accurate assessment of his true aims , and those of the Government as a whole. Do you honestly believe that they want to expand the best opportunities to the widest possible social spectrum ? For serious ? :lol: In private, they see their real mandate as being to undo the social legislation of the last fifty or so years and return this country to a time where people knew their place according to the circumstances of their birth. The Tories have viewed the social changes of the post Second World War era with a mixture of fear and contempt, and this lot see the current circumstances of austerity as their chance to set the clock back . In that aim, Gove and his political masters are doing a fine job, particularly in exploiting the ignorance ,stupidity and short-sighted self-interest of the British public.

What need have children from less well- off or more modest backgrounds got for music lessons when the purpose of their lives is not to to be educated in the wider sense so they can achieve their full potential as individuals, but rather, if they are lucky, to be trained for a lifetime of work in the service of their social superiors?

Edited by Dingus

[quote name='Dingus' timestamp='1396047559' post='2409540']
Do you honestly believe that they want to expand the best opportunities to the widest possible social spectrum?
[/quote]

I neither know nor care. Most of the time I just come to BassChat to discuss music and have a laugh with normal people. If I wanted to read diatribes about Tory education policy I'd go elsewhere.

Politics is the bane of this forum; and now it's spreading out of OT. Way to go, enlightened moderation policy.

Edited by skankdelvar

[quote name='skankdelvar' timestamp='1396053239' post='2409587']
I neither know nor care. Most of the time I just come to BassChat to discuss music and have a laugh with normal people. If I wanted to read diatribes about Tory education policy I'd go elsewhere.

Politics is the bane of this forum; and now it's spreading out of OT. Way to go, enlightened moderation policy.
[/quote]

Well look back at this thread. You started it before I did. :)

I got the impression that the OP wasn't really trying to make a political point. It's just an amusing clip of someone making a fool of themselves discussing their musical tastes with a group of kids.
I think everyone who regularly has to communicate with teenagers has had moments like this - you can never look cool, it's just not possible!

[quote name='Beer of the Bass' timestamp='1396105521' post='2409998']
I got the impression that the OP wasn't really trying to make a political point. It's just an amusing clip of someone making a fool of themselves discussing their musical tastes with a group of kids.
I think everyone who regularly has to communicate with teenagers has had moments like this - you can never look cool, it's just not possible!
[/quote]

Yup, just enjoying another fool making a fool of himself in public......tho I would love to hear Chuck D or Flavour Flav's view on their most surprising fan.

I also love the fact that Gove is 'rapping' on Wham Rap, which was all about living the good life while on the dole and avoiding work!

But seriously how could anyone be into PE and not be switched onto some very real truths about the world and become a Tory politician?...not wishing to push any more party politics tho, if poss....

Edited by Bassnut62