Why become a member? ×

Dean Stylist Cabbie bass is being re-issued!

floFC

Dean have silently (?) added a new Stylist Cabbie bass to their 2014 catalogue: http://www.deanguitars.com/stylist_cabbie_bass.php

I don't how (if at all) they differ from the original run from 2004. Maybe the pickups are different, the 2014 model boasts some DMT Design pickups. I have a black one from that time, but it looks like they only re-issued the cabbie.

Ray, have you got a cabbie one? I was never sure if those were different from the standard colour ones - they came out later. Most people change the pickups, I don't mind the sound but I think they should have been chrome.
What do you mean by better body?

[quote name='Musky' timestamp='1395949710' post='2408363']
You've just reinstated my GAS for one of these.

I'm not sure of that's a good thing. :mellow:
[/quote]
Oops, sorry. The old ones never come up for sale, in any colour. If you're lucky the new ones won't be for sale in the UK! So you can have as much GAS as you like but can't act on it.

[quote name='RAY AGAINST THE MACHINE' timestamp='1395956189' post='2408455']
I thought that the body on mine wasn't maple. Thought it was made of plywood or something similar.
[/quote]
Ah yes, I see what you mean. The old one is definitely a laminated construction (sounds better than plywood, right?), I am not sure which wood sandwich. But given there was a natural finish version it must have been decent! I am not sure what they mean by maple body and side, it could still be laminated, no? I remember reading somewhere that laminated was actually a good thing for full hollow bodies like the Stylist. Any body knows better?

Oh, actually, re-reading the specs of the bass from the Dean site, the new Stylist cabbie is a semi-hollow construction! That would be how it's different from the original run.

There are a couple of the new cabbies for sale on eBay in the US, for instance http://pages.ebay.com/link/?nav=item.view&id=271431263946
The back is clearly yellow! Looks like Dean are not really sure what they are selling :-D
One distinctive feature is that they have a serial number.

[quote name='RAY AGAINST THE MACHINE' timestamp='1396474314' post='2414214']
Just wondering; how much would a pair of replacement pickups cost to be fitted to my taxi bass, if I wanted ?
[/quote]

I'm wondering the exact same thing here: [url="http://basschat.co.uk/topic/233406-gretsch-pickup-question/"]http://basschat.co.uk/topic/233406-gretsch-pickup-question/[/url]

They are amazing basses, just the stock pickups are a tad weedy!

Ahpook, I play mine mostly sitting down, at home. As Bolo said it is not as deep as an (electro) acoustic bass or guitar for instance, so it was fine for me on the few occasions I played it standing up. That said I am a rubbish player so it may be an issue for faster/better players used to solid bodies.

I must say Bolo, thrash metal on a semi-acoustic huh? :o

[quote name='floFC' timestamp='1396819560' post='2417748']
[/quote]

yeah, i'm impressed too !

thanks for the info folks - i'm after another semi acoustic, but find the lack of forearm contour a strain on some.

[quote name='floFC' timestamp='1396819560' post='2417748']
[/quote]

yeah, i'm impressed too !

thanks for the info folks - i'm after another semi acoustic, but find the lack of forearm contour a strain on some.

[quote name='ahpook' timestamp='1396820695' post='2417762']
[/quote]
I am not sure what you mean by forearm contour on a semi. Have you got an example? The Stylist is an archtop, does that count?

I mis-understood ahpook's post a bit. I thought he was saying that some semis had a contoured body.

Anyway, I have just had a go on the Stylist and I do hold it differently. The body, as well as being deeper is also much bigger than a solid body, so instead of my forearm resting on the body it's really the crook of my elbow. I also tend to pluck closer to the neck.

Edited by floFC

[quote name='floFC' timestamp='1396822304' post='2417781']
I mis-understood ahpook's post a bit. I thought he was saying that some semis had a contoured body.

Anyway, I have just had a go on the Stylist and I do hold it differently. The body, as well as being deeper is also much bigger than a solid body, so instead of my forearm resting on the body it's really the crook of my elbow. I also tend to pluck closer to the neck.
[/quote]

Right - that's good to know. Thanks