Why become a member? ×

Single power supply...and an option I've not come across before

EliasMooseblaster

'morning. This is a two-part question, though the answer to the second one may depend on the first!

Firstly, if I were just looking to power a single pedal, is it worth investing a lot of money in a particularly fancy 9V DC? I've heard advice about paying extra for the multi-point PSUs to eliminate noise, but didn't pay much attention as I've only ever really used one pedal, if I've used one at all, so it was easier just to keep a spare battery on hand. I should probably add that this PSU is likely to be powering a pedal tuner!

Secondly, however, I finally got a chance to look through the instructions for the Korg Pitchblack+ that arrived recently...it turns out you can run a cable out from that which will send a 9V supply out to an additional 2-3 pedals. So, in theory, if I had a single PSU for the Korg, I could run power out from that to my TS-9, rather than investing in a lot of additional equipment just to have two pedals on mains power. Speaking as somebody who isn't likely to invest in additional pedals any time soon, are there any obvious drawbacks I might be missing here?

i'd have thought that would be fine, i use a bigger psu these days as i have 5 or 6 pedals, but i used to just have a boss TU-2 which i used to power my old bassdrive in the same way you are considering. it would only be a problem with a power hungry pedal, but a TS-9 won't need loads of power, so i'd think go for it.

I bought a single power supply unit off ebay which came with a 5 way daisy chain cable so I could power my multi effects unit as well as my korg pitchblack poly.

I found that if I used the power supply in either pedal on its own it was fine but as soon as I used the daisy chain it introduced a sort of whistling sound.

So in the end I just use two power supplies and not bother with the daisy chain. (I don't have a cable to try the power output on the pitchblack unit).

If I was to get anymore pedals I would probably invest in a decent multiway which is purpose built to avoid noise and intereference.

I say try the standard PSU & if it makes noise, identify that it is the PSU & replace it if needed.
Some pedals will daisychain fine, others wont. I have a 1.7A wart to power 4 pedals, but the Moog LPF squeals & whines when you chain it. I have shielded it & put it on it's own PSU (which was originally for a DIY tool) & it happily plays.

I power my entire pedalboard - TC Polytune, EHX Deluxe Big Muff, Tech 21 Red Ripper, Aguilar Octamizer and Tech 21 VT Bass Deluxe from this:

http://visualsound.net/1-spot-power-supply/

It plugs into my Polytune and I daisy-chain it off the Polytune's power output. :)

Powering pedals from the tuner seems a bit pointless to me, if you have to buy a special cable, you may as well get a regular daisy chain and plug your power supply into that. That way you won't be limited to the 200mA max output from the Korg Pitchblack, and you won't be up the creek when the output on your Pitchblack decides to die like mine did!

I would invest in the diago micropower, it's relatively inexpensive and willl safely power a few pedals.

The thing is with daisy chaining through the tuner is that you'll have a limited draw so if you have a strangely high drawing pedal (some markbass ones are 500ma) then you could run into trouble.

The diago micropower can be connected to s daisy chain and power more than one pedal directly.

Thanks very much for all your input, chaps - this has been quite an eye-opener! In my case, a suitable daisy-chaining cable came bundled with the Pitchblack - if I'd had to buy a separate cable, I'd probably have said "sod it," and bought a multi-pedal PSU anyway. From a little bit of cursory research, I'm led to believe that various varieties of Tubescreamer don't draw any more than about 20-odd mA (couldn't find a listing for the bass version), so I should be well within the limits of what the Korg can provide.

The only thing that worries me now is dannybuoy's comment about his Pitchblack giving up the ghost - I thought those things were supposed to be reliable!

[quote name='EliasMooseblaster' timestamp='1396004721' post='2408850']
Thanks very much for all your input, chaps - this has been quite an eye-opener! In my case, a suitable daisy-chaining cable came bundled with the Pitchblack - if I'd had to buy a separate cable, I'd probably have said "sod it," and bought a multi-pedal PSU anyway. From a little bit of cursory research, I'm led to believe that various varieties of Tubescreamer don't draw any more than about 20-odd mA (couldn't find a listing for the bass version), so I should be well within the limits of what the Korg can provide.

The only thing that worries me now is dannybuoy's comment about his Pitchblack giving up the ghost - I thought those things were supposed to be reliable!
[/quote]

I wouldn't worry too much, as some one somewhere will always have something people deem a tank somehow fall to bits, the internet just brings us closer

I use a One Spot Multi PSU for the 9v pedals and the supplied PSU for the 12v & 18v pedals. This is all connected with a Pedaltrain to take all the clutter off the front of the stage. The tuner is on it's own loop to the tuner in/out of the amp and the rest got through the effects loop of the amp.

The only issue I have with the Pedaltrain is the mini jack connectors can come loose so I gaffer tape all for gigs.

Seriously considering a Voodoo Labs power supply to reduce clutter even more, I like to set up/pack up with the minimum of fuss.