Why become a member? ×

Jack Bruce heads up

Phil Adams

[quote name='discreet' timestamp='1395757674' post='2405852']
What to do? I love Jack Bruce but Steve Wright is a monumental bell-end... :(

Thanks for the heads-up, though. :)
[/quote]

I listen most days, I try to somehow work "selective hearing". How many times have I heard a really good song, and have to go on the website playlist to find out who it's by because he doesn't say. After all. the records are secondary to the DJ, right? (or Wright).

[quote name='discreet' timestamp='1395757674' post='2405852']
What to do? I love Jack Bruce but Steve Wright is a monumental bell-end... :(

Thanks for the heads-up, though. :)[/quote]

[i]Hands up if you think "Wrighty" is a bell-end[/i]........ woooh, wooh, wooh, ............erm, damng! can't get this can of artificial applause open.
To be fair, it's nearly as convincing as his "talking to his colleagues" in the pre-recorded Sunday show.

[quote name='Phil Adams' timestamp='1395757944' post='2405857']
I listen most days, I try to somehow work "selective hearing". How many times have I heard a really good song, and have to go on the website playlist to find out who it's by because he doesn't say. After all. the records are secondary to the DJ, right? (or Wright).
[/quote]
This annoys me too . Though he's not the only one, not to say what he's playing .

Thanks, will have a listen on iPlayer. A bit partial to Jack - more for his songwriting than his bassing - is that heresy around here? I think he peaked on Songs for a Tailor and Harmony Row but his stuff with Robin Trower was good too.

I'm a big admirer of Jack Bruce not just as a bass player but as a writer/composer, too, but to be totally honest, a lot of his records have been below par considering his awesome talents as a musician. Songs For A Taylor and Harmony Row were indeed his best efforts as a solo artist , so far at least, anyway.

On the subject of Steve Wright, to put his stature as a so-called "bell end" in to context, back in the 1980's , the Steve Wright Show was considered supremely entertaining, and essential afternoon listening. If you didn't like him, it was because[i] you[/i] were a knob with no sense of humor. His hilarious characters, catch phrases and spontaneously effervescent banter with his erstwhile Afternoon Posse were a national institution . I used to particularly enjoy his anecdotes about his normal everyday life driving his Range Rover from his luxury home in Surry into central London every day , going to awards ceremonies and regularly taking his wife to L.A or similarly glamorous locations for a few days break , during which time that other Man Of The People, Gary Davis , would sit in for Steve.

The funny thing was, by most standards, it was a very strange and inaccessible world that all these Radio 1 people lived in , and yet at the time ordinary people were made to feel inadequate for not living a similar lifestyle. DLT had a Swedish wife and a mobile home he brought back from a holiday in the States, , and boy did we all know it.

Edited by Dingus

I agree that Songs For a Taylor and Harmony Row are both very good albums that show JB's songwriting and (multi-instrumental) playing at their best. But - if you haven't already checked them out - I would also recommend Somethinels, Monkjack and More Jack Than God.

[quote name='Panamonte' timestamp='1395869411' post='2407531']
I agree that Songs For a Taylor and Harmony Row are both very good albums that show JB's songwriting and (multi-instrumental) playing at their best. But - if you haven't already checked them out - I would also recommend Somethinels, Monkjack and More Jack Than God.
[/quote]

They are indeed worthwhile records, from what I remember.

Jack Bruce is one of those musicians that, whatever he is involved in , I will always be interested and give it a listen.

Seeing Jack Bruce playing with Cream during their farewell gig, re broadcast in 1975 and being completely blown away by the sound is the reason I became a Bass player.
Sure some of his albums are better than others but he is a great ambassador for the instrument and I am sure many others have taken up the bass because of him.
I saw him a couple of years ago in Cornwall, I enjoyed every second and he signed my Gibson SG bass.
Gotta love Jack :)