Why become a member? ×

Mibass 2.0 cab

jgmh315

You might be ok if your band isn't very loud, but you could knacker the cab if you run it at full volume. Listen carefully and you can tell when the cab is distorting, then don't turn up beyond that point!

If you want small and light, but able to take a lot of punishment, I'd be looking at a Barefaced super compact, or a pair of those Ashdown cabs instead of one. Perhaps try it with one cab and add a second if you feel it's not giving you enough?

Edited by dannybuoy

Just looked it up in the manual, the graphs show that the MiBass 2.0 is 400W RMS at 4ohms, 250W RMS at 8ohms.

Therefore you should be fine, but my advice about listening for the cab being over stressed still applies!

Edited by dannybuoy

[quote name='Cosmo Valdemar' timestamp='1395838280' post='2406874']
I was all ready to buy a couple of these when I noticed the horn is always on. :(
[/quote]

I guess you could always unplug it?!

If you want cheap, light, portable, and no horn, you could always give the sealed Ampeg SVT210AV cabs a whirl. They are like one quarter of an Ampeg 8x10 fridge, and two of em stacked up high sounds great!

Edited by dannybuoy

I've got a MiBass 2.0 and 2 of the Mi10 cabs, the new 8 Ohm versions, and I'm mightily impressed.
A lot of output for such small cabs. You need to crank the bass a bit to get some nice thick meaty low end but its all there :)

Eude

I'm not sure, but drivers typically come in regular 4/8/16 ohm impedances, so I assumed an 8 ohm cab would have an 8 ohm driver, and the crossover/horn would only have a minimal impact on the overall impedance?

If doing so, I would ensure the main driver is hooked up directly to the input to ensure that the crossover isn't rolling off any of the top end going to the main driver.

An alternative would be to just place something in front of the tweeter like an old sock to tame it!

Edited by dannybuoy

[quote name='dannybuoy' timestamp='1395930353' post='2408094']
An alternative would be to just place something in front of the tweeter like an old sock to tame it!
[/quote]

You could also just EQ out some of what the tweeter would reproduce? You should be able to cut highs with most EQ's...

Eude

Oh, by the way, the Mi10 Cabs have a whizzer design, like the EA 10" cabs, not exactly sure how it works, but it's a lot more subtle than a tweeter/horn.
A much more natural sounding cab in general, I'm very happy with mine so far.

Eude

[quote name='eude' timestamp='1395931742' post='2408109']
Oh, by the way, the Mi10 Cabs have a whizzer design, like the EA 10" cabs, not exactly sure how it works, but it's a lot more subtle than a tweeter/horn.
A much more natural sounding cab in general, I'm very happy with mine so far.

Eude
[/quote]

That's reassuring.

[quote name='dannybuoy' timestamp='1395932268' post='2408121']
Yup, make sure there is an actual problem there before attempting to fix it! Not all horns/tweeters are fizzy sounding. I've been scarred by the horrible one in the Markbass CMD121P I used to own!
[/quote]

Never thought of it like that. I've just never liked the sound of horns in any cab. I have ocassionally had to play through cabs with non-defeatable horns, and have EQd out some treble to compensate but always found that it adversely affected the rest of my tone as I generally go for a trebly, driven tone anyway.

Food for thought. I was looking at the Ashdown VS cabs but can't find any info about them anywhere! But that probably deserves it's own thread. :rolleyes:

[quote name='Cosmo Valdemar' timestamp='1395938968' post='2408229']
That's reassuring.

Never thought of it like that. I've just never liked the sound of horns in any cab. I have ocassionally had to play through cabs with non-defeatable horns, and have EQd out some treble to compensate but always found that it adversely affected the rest of my tone as I generally go for a trebly, driven tone anyway.

Food for thought. I was looking at the Ashdown VS cabs but can't find any info about them anywhere! But that probably deserves it's own thread. :rolleyes:
[/quote]

I'm not sure they're making the VS cabs anymore, but they're certainly more along the lines of what I think you're looking for, albeit a bit hefty.
The Little Bastard Cabs, 1x12 and 2x12, where apparently much lighter versions of the VS ones, if you can find any.
Maybe try giving Ashdown a shout, they might have some older stock kicking around?

I can give you an email for a good guy at the firm if you want, send me a PM.

Eude