Why become a member? ×

To eden or not to eden...

Torben Hedstrøm

Hi...

I'll try to make it short :).

Recently parted with all my EBS gear, but my 110 Neo cab, and bought myself a GB Shuttlemax 12.2. Tried (borrowed from here and there, for rehearsal) different cabs, because I really can't decide which way to go cabwise, and ended up going for a very very cheap Eden Nemesis 212, which I am currently using along with my Neo 110.

Admittedly I am not entirely happy with the Nemesis, only paid around £80 for it, and it sounds 'ok' but certainly not god enough for any long term relationshp. Thing is, I am considering a few options cabwise... And I would really appreciate some sensible comments:

Option 1: 2xEBS Neoline 112 to supply the 110... Could/should be a nice portable combination. Never tried the 112, and I am slightly reluctant that maybe it is a bit too much to ask rock'n roll sound levels from a 2x112+110 combo like this. Don't have the option to try these out, which is also a bit worrying...

Option 2: David Eden 410+115 XLT... Loud ?, I would think so !!. Portable ?... Not so much. However we very rarely gig in the rock band, and this combination is actually significantly cheaper, than buying the 2x112's. And if I also account for being able to sell the 110 Neo, we are talking almost half the price of the 2x112+110 combo. Never heard the edens though, and maybe they don't pair well with the shuttlemax ?!.

Option 3: Buy a nice pair of TKS 112's... Looks nice and lightweight, but by far the most expensive option. Around twice the price of the 2x112+11+ combination.

So... anyone have experience with this exact Eden combination ?. How does it sound ?. I have plans to join another band in near future, but nothing is for certain. If I do I may regret having bought the Eden rig (of which I am quite tempted), but the smaller combinations seems a bit expensive, and may not quite be able to cope with my current prog band...

??

I used an Eden 410 & 115, think they were the XLTs. For me they were very clean, deep and punchy, which meant I wasn`t that keen. Bags of power though, and for anyone liking the clean/punchy sound, this set-up would be ideal.

I did previously have an Eden 410 XST - I think the XST and XLT are about the same weight, as in, the same as a small planet and only marginally lighter than a Peavey.

I love Eden and have used it from time to time.
A bass player of mine used to bail me out and lend me his big Eden rig.
Funnily enough his sister said that she needs to sell it after he died a few years back so I will probably fire it
up and put it up for sale here for her.

Very good spec gear of yesterday and as much as Trace Elliot stuff is regarded..this is a step up in pro quality
as far as I am concerned.

Thanks for the replies guys... Glad to get some feedback on the Eden gear :). I do like the 'clean' sounding stuff (I'll mud it up myself, if I have to...) but the weight-issue is a bit scary though. I can get the 115+410 XLT set for roughly £550, and it is in really good nick.

Not sure what they go for new though...

Well, historically Eden at one time was THE gear to use along with SWR when they were
both U.S built. We might be talking about 20 years ago for their true hey-day but you'll
still see it as it was generally hi-spec and quality components ... and you'll pay a fortune
for that that if you brought it today.
That is cheap...but it will be heavy..as properly made cabs in baltic/marine ply often are.

One thing... I am not sure who made the speakers or rather can you get them replaced now.
You probably can't unless you can source cones so you need to make sure the speakers are
all good. This applies to all speakers out of production regqardless of make ...where do you
get the cones kits from?

The DXLT 410 is still listed on the eden website dated 2014 so it appears to be a current model so spares should be available, I know marshall bought them out but you could always ping them an e mail and ask them. FWIW I had an Eden metro, and then a 400 traveller with a 2x10 and a 15, very nice. I can echo JTUKs post, it was top line stuff at the time.

[quote name='Lozz196' timestamp='1395589300' post='2404030']
I used an Eden 410 & 115, think they were the XLTs. For me they were very clean, deep and punchy, which meant I wasn`t that keen. Bags of power though, and for anyone liking the clean/punchy sound, this set-up would be ideal.

I did previously have an Eden 410 XST - I think the XST and XLT are about the same weight, as in, the same as a small planet and only marginally lighter than a Peavey.
[/quote]
I also ran these cabs together and agree with bumnote. I'm personally not a fan of using different sized drivers together as I think definition is lost due to the different excursion and projection they have, so why did I gig them both together I hear you cry, well, I used them with a Eden WT800 which has a built in crossover that used the cabs independently, lows to the 15 and mi/highs to the 4x10, Epic!

Guest bassman7755

[quote name='Torben Hedstrøm' timestamp='1395587537' post='2403986']
Option 2: David Eden 410+115 XLT... Loud ?, I would think so !!..
[/quote]

Indeed, Not sure why you think you need a 2nd cab with a 410XLT - its a monstrously loud cab. I used to gig with very loud bands using only a 2x10XL.

[quote]
Portable ?... Not so much
[/quote]

@45 KG a cab thats about 4 * the weight of anything I would class as "portable" B)

Edited by bassman7755

• 9 months later...

I used to have following Eden cabs:
1xD410XLT
1xD410XST
4xD112XLT

I sold them all. The last nail in the coffin was when I took two of my D112XLT's over to TKS workshop and side-by-side tested the TKS cabs against my Eden cabs. I was totally devastated. The D112XLT's were like a nail in the chest, a midrange honky horn with no bottom at all. At that time I used my Genz Benz ShuttleMax 12.0. With the Eden cabs I had to boost the bass with approx. 6 dB to get a decent tone. With the TKS cabs I had a marvellously thunderous but so clear tone with eq at noon. My present cabs are:
2xTKS 2126 (no tweeters)
2xTKS H115, one with tweeter, one without

The setups I use are as follows:
Genz Benz Streamliner 900 (w. one or two H115 or one 2126 cabs) 900W RMS at 4 ohms
Euphonic Audio iAmp800 (w. one or two H115 or one or two 2126 cabs) 1000 W RMS at 2 ohms
Eden Wt800B (w. one or two H115 or one or two 2126 cabs) 2x550 W RMS at 2 ohms / 1100 W RMS at 4 ohms bridged
Eden Navigator and QSC PLX3402 (w. one or two H115 or one or two 2126 cabs, or all of them) 2 x 1700 W RMS at 2,7 ohms / 3400 W RMS bridged at 4 ohms (Yes - this is overkill, but oh, so nice...)

Next cabs will be a pair of the smallest TKS 112 cabs...

Edited by bassmayhem

As said above Eden was the Pro gear of yesteryear. Good gear does not become less good over time, It is only the new kids on the block with fancy advertising budgets that convince us we are missing out on something. SWR also mentioned above, there is some good second hand gear around now. I remember when every touring bass player i saw was using Hartke - you weren't cool less you had ally cones. Buck the trend.

[quote name='JTUK' timestamp='1420838981' post='2654210']
Eden 212 plus a 210 driven by a WT800...
Stonkingly awesome.. can't imagine any class D amp getting anywhere near that rig.
I accept it is a BIG rig and overkill for most gigs but hard to beat, IMO.
[/quote]

Forgive me for maybe being Devils advocate but why go for two 2x? Cabs with different speakers. I know you like 12s from previous threads. But if that's the case why not just two 2x12s?

[quote name='Prime_BASS' timestamp='1420878170' post='2654397']
Forgive me for maybe being Devils advocate but why go for two 2x? Cabs with different speakers. I know you like 12s from previous threads. But if that's the case why not just two 2x12s?
[/quote]

It was a rig I borrowed so that is the way it came...but I saw the perceived value
of the cab mix especially as the amp has a cross-over. But also, that was the way
the thinking was back then so maybe the cabs were biased a little for top and bottom...??
We are talking about 15-20 year old designs there.
Together, it was truely thunderous and I use a 212 and 210 in my big Aguilar rig today.
I don't have a crossover in the config but I have the 212 at 4 ohms and 210 at 8 so
that is a crude balancer ( more to stop the 210 getting a potential 400 odd watts in output )
when the 212 is a 600w cab..so I really don't want an even split between the two cabs, powerwise.

I find that the 210 higher up on a 212 gets me all the higher end I could want and when I tend to run this
rig, this is my stage monitor. And again, it can sound truely thunderous ..but of course, you have to be careful with
that on a mic'd stage. I tend to go for full rather than bass heavy... but with the power available it is going to underpin
a loud stage sound almost on its own..if I need it to.

I can't see me using 2x212's at all tbh... but I quite like the 212 as a standalone....
Funniliy enough, I like the 8ohm 212 better soundwise, but then that was pushing me towards
212 and 2x210 balancewise, which is an option but getting silly.

I felt the 210 at 8 would bottom out when run with a 8ohm 212 ... so the 212 was very comfortable
whereas the 210 would struggle.
My current rig is fully modular...
I can go 2x210 at 8 ohm AND 1x212 at 4ohm.. or variations in between.

[quote name='Torben Hedstrøm' timestamp='1395587537' post='2403986']
...Option 3: Buy a nice pair of TKS 112's... Looks nice and lightweight, but by far the most expensive option. Around twice the price of the 2x112+11+ combination. ...
[/quote]
I really don't understand how TKS can be more expensive than EBS. Even the EBS 112 Classic, the Chinese low budget model, is more expensive than the smallest TKS 112 here in Sweden. Not to mention quite bad in comparison. The EBS Neo 112 is 4959 DKK in copenhagen (4Sound prices) and the TKS S112 around 2400 DKK here in Sweden. Add shipping and you'll be well under 3000 DKK. Here is a basement pic of my new old Eden WT800B and the two TKS H115 cabs of the new compact model...
[IMG]http://i225.photobucket.com/albums/dd169/bassmayhem/2015-01-14-WT800Bhome_zpse157f5dd.jpg[/IMG]
This is a very clean and powerful setup...