Why become a member? ×

Why do folk sell necks?

Grangur

Sorry if this is a stoopid noob question. But why do folk sell necks?

I find it hard to believe anyone gets bored of a neck. Surely it has to be because there's something about it that didn't suit the owner?

I can understand selling a fretted if you changed a bass to fretless, but I doubt this would account for there being as many about as there are. Are Mighty Mite necks so much better than a Fender/Squier neck perhaps.

OR is it all the cheap copy basses, where folk fall in love with the body (after upgrading it?), but then want to get a respectable neck?

I might be in the market for a neck. Should I buy second-hand, or get a Mighty Mite, or a Fender neck?

Cheers

Rich

:) It's a perfectly good question and to a certain extent you've answered it yourself:

[quote name='Grangur' timestamp='1395076098' post='2398371']
gets bored ... because there's something about it that didn't suit the owner ... if you changed a bass to fretless ... cheap copy basses, where folk fall in love with the body (after upgrading it?), but then want to get a respectable neck? [/quote]

To which one might add: changing fingerboard materials (e.g. maple > rosewood or vice versa) in a quest for 'tone'; replacing a damaged neck (e.g. a snapped truss rod); buying separate parts and screwing together a bitsa.

Two more reasons are (i) because we are incorrigible fiddlers and (ii) because there's a demand from people who want to buy necks. Which leads to the next question - why do you want to buy a neck? :lol:

As for whether MM necks are better or worse than Squiers or Fenders, I expect someone will be along in a moment who knows. Edited by skankdelvar

I've been tempted to get a Jazz bass, sell the neck & a maple-board Precision neck because I feel more comfortable with the slightly wider nut width. So I'd imagine comfort is a major factor, as well as changing the fingerboard type (I'd like a maple board, as most of mine are rosewood, for example).

Worth remembering that Leo Fender's original idea was that parts like necks etc would be easy to replace as and when they wore out. I changed a neck on a 57RI as I wanted to get a 62RI and it changed the feel of that bass. The original bass had a lot of sentimental value so it seemed easier to do that than sell it and buy a 62 or trade on here.

[quote name='Hank Scorpio' timestamp='1395080443' post='2398436']
I've been tempted to get a Jazz bass, sell the neck & a maple-board Precision neck because I feel more comfortable with the slightly wider nut width. So I'd imagine comfort is a major factor, as well as changing the fingerboard type (I'd like a maple board, as most of mine are rosewood, for example).
[/quote]

For me it is the opposite - I like Precision basses but prefer Jazz width necks. I have a Mighty Mite Jazz neck on my MIJ P body and it is really nice.

[quote name='Grangur' timestamp='1395079171' post='2398417']
I may want to buy a neck because the truss rod has gonein of mine. If I cacan't fix it then I may replace it or sell the body.
[/quote]

Shame; hope it all works out. It's pretty straightforward getting a new neck compared to the days when after-market parts were almost unheard of. [quote name='Paul S' timestamp='1395081354' post='2398452']
I like Precision basses but prefer Jazz width necks. I have a Mighty Mite Jazz neck on my MIJ P body and it is really nice.
[/quote]

My next project may be a 51-bitsa with a Jazz width neck and Tele-type headstock. Mr Jazz headstock ... meet Mr Router. ;)

[quote name='Grangur' timestamp='1395076098' post='2398371']
Sorry if this is a stoopid noob question. But why do folk sell necks?
I might be in the market for a neck.
[/quote]

I think you've answered your own question right there! :)

[quote name='Conan' timestamp='1395084025' post='2398499']
I think you've answered your own question right there! :)
[/quote]

I agree, my question has been answered - it's all down to personal preference developing during the time of owning a bass.

Yet if you're suggesting that just because I've busted the truss rod in my neck, there will automatically be folk who want to sell me theirs, all I can say is,
"Wow, such self sacrifice!" :o

[quote name='skankdelvar' timestamp='1395082742' post='2398475']
My next project may be a 51-bitsa with a Jazz width neck and Tele-type headstock. Mr Jazz headstock ... meet Mr Router. ;)
[/quote]

If that were mine it would be '... meet Mr Slatterly'... :) I hope you are as handy with wood as you are with words, sir. Good luck!