Why become a member? ×

jack socket issue

Cestrian

Nil varnish is brilliant for stopping grub screws and washers vibrating loose - I use it on my bridge screws - but not if the jack plug is loose inside the socket. As has been said - if it's an open style socket , squeeze it tighter with your fingers. If it's the closed barrel socket type - replace it or get someone else to do it.

You might be doing this anyway, but do you thread your lead 'over the top'? Assuming you play right-handed, take the jack plug in your right hand, thread it behind the bass, in the space between you, the bass and your strap. Pull it over the top across the front of he bass and place the plug into the output socket of your bass. The cable's own weight shouldn't be pulling it out now, and your strap should stop it falling sideways.

[quote name='Len_derby' timestamp='1394640570' post='2393610']
You might be doing this anyway, but do you thread your lead 'over the top'? Assuming you play right-handed, take the jack plug in your right hand, thread it behind the bass, in the space between you, the bass and your strap. Pull it over the top across the front of he bass and place the plug into the output socket of your bass. The cable's own weight shouldn't be pulling it out now, and your strap should stop it falling sideways.
[/quote]

+1 to this

[/quote]
Also I always use an angled jack into my bass on gigs - this greatly reduces the 'leverage' on the jack socket if the plug knocks against something.

[/quote]

Even if your were not concerned about the jack coming out too easily this is good practice

[quote name='Cestrian' timestamp='1394642753' post='2393652']
Now you're talking. Any excuse.
[/quote]
[quote name='Cestrian' timestamp='1394642753' post='2393652']
Now you're talking. Any excuse.
[/quote]

indeed ! (have you met basschat's favourite korean cross dressing bass player?) :lol:

[url="http://youtu.be/rNzt3uNEVxU"]http://youtu.be/rNzt3uNEVxU[/url]

I find a good answer to loose leads is to replace the mono jack socket (if it is the open type) with a stereo socket but only connect it as a mono. The additional prong gives it a bit more security by pressing against the centre pin and makes better contact.

I have done this recently in my Jazz and it works a treat.

Probably got the idea from someone on here of course....