Why become a member? ×

Puma Vs Acoustic image

dudi8

Hi!
i playing now a puma 900 amp to a barefaced big baby 2 and i feel the 900 is way too powerful for what i need, and i play also more DB at the moment and i was thinking of the AI clarus 2 s4 or maybe the Flex preamp and cab
any thoughts? or should i stay with my current amp?
anyone tried these amps also with an Electric bass?

Thanks for the help!

I am using the Puma with electric bass driving a Genz Benz Nx2-212T. Lots of power on tap here but this does not present a problem for me. I just set my gain at a level that just keeps the preamp from clipping and use the master to control volume. I really like the Puma. The EQ is very intuitive and I love the Taste control. One of the best class D amps on the market IME.
I am not familiar with Barefaced big baby but according to the Barefaced website, the Puma in terms of power, should be a good match. I do not see how a less powerful amp will offer you any advantages.

Highly rated double bass cab maker Mike Arnopol (ask BCer's TheRev and bassace about his cabs) uses a Puma for double bass and electric, albeit with one of his own 4x6 cabs. Acoustic Image heads are great for double bass but completely clean and so you would need a preamp (eg Sansamp BDDI) in front if you wanted a warmer, more overdriven tone with an electric bass (eg, for blues, rock, old school funk). Stick with what you have!

I would be inclined to stick with what you have got. IME unless a piece of kit really fails to impress, I would hang with it for the medium term at least in order to get familiar with it.
A 900W head is always going to be big in the power stakes and the Puma does not lie, so no mystery there. The on line reviews of this amp are pretty accurate so it should not offer any surprises or disappointments. What it does, it does really well. The only issue with this amp might be that it does not offer any serious break up when driven hard, but this is not what the Puma is about. I reckon paired with your barefaced cab, you have a set up that is as close to as good as it gets in terms of a lightweight rig.
Best to sit back, play and enjoy IMO

Edited by leroydiamond

That sounds like an amazing rig! Quite jealous.
I would echo people asking what it is that you feel you lack in your rig. I used to have a (powersoft) puma 1000 and can imagine with the right cab (which you have) it would have no problem with DB.