Why become a member? ×

anyone use flats on a G&L L2000?

Thunderpaws

[quote name='bigd1' timestamp='1393769078' post='2384117']
I don't have a L2000 but I use a G&L Asat that has always had flats on. I think pick ups are the same on the 2 basses. Mine sounds fantastic very big wide sound, and smooth, Love it. Hope this is of help.

BIGd
[/quote]

Trying to resist getting another ASAT for this very purpose, but this makes things very tempting indeed! Pups and pre are the same as the l2000.

Never had flats on it, but I did have a USA G&L bass a few years ago and it sounded immense. I am sure that if you like the sound of flats that they would be nothing less than immense on your bass. Those pickups in combination with that preamp have got so much punch that they cannot help but give maximum thump to any flatwounds you stick on there .

Edited by Dingus

I use La Bella Deep Talkin flats, these go for about £40 a set. I know that sounds expensive but, I haven't changed then for about 5yrs. They still sound great.
You could buy Rotosound, they sell for around £25 a much better option if you are giving flats a first test run. I have used Roto's but really much prefer the Deep talkers, although that is just a matter of personal taste.

BIGd

I have a USA L-2000. I've always used Status Hotwire halfrounds. £14 a set - complete bargain; http://www.status-graphite.com/status/frames/index_home.html Full flats are available too. Love the smooth feel and the quietness when you slide fingers across the strings. However, I've found that the G&L with flats or halfrounds can become a bit too dark and thuddy if you're not careful. Depending on what tone you're after, you may need to be prepared for some knob-twiddling to manage the G&L's rich and powerful pickups. At home, I'll use just the front pickup, or switch to both. At rehearsal and gigs, I'm definitely switching to both pickups, maybe even just the rear. A couple of times I've had to change to my MIJ Precision (fitted with the same strings) to get a little more clank/mid-range presence in a noisy two-guitar band. This was with a loud pub-rock covers band. More recently, I've been playing with a quieter country-rock/pop band where it's much easier to actually hear the bass. Even then, the G&L/halfround set up was sounding almost too chocolatey (!?) and was in danger of thumping away somewhere in the distant background.

Edited by solo4652

[quote name='solo4652' timestamp='1393925976' post='2385785']
I have a USA L-2000. I've always used Status Hotwire halfrounds. £14 a set - complete bargain; [url="http://www.status-graphite.com/status/frames/index_home.html"]http://www.status-gr...index_home.html[/url] Full flats are available too. Love the smooth feel and the quietness when you slide fingers across the strings. However, I've found that the G&L with flats or halfrounds can become a bit too dark and thuddy if you're not careful. Depending on what tone you're after, you may need to be prepared for some knob-twiddling to manage the G&L's rich and powerful pickups. At home, I'll use just the front pickup, or switch to both. At rehearsal and gigs, I'm definitely switching to both pickups, maybe even just the rear. A couple of times I've had to change to my MIJ Precision (fitted with the same strings) to get a little more clank/mid-range presence in a noisy two-guitar band. This was with a loud pub-rock covers band. More recently, I've been playing with a quieter country-rock/pop band where it's much easier to actually hear the bass. Even then, the G&L/halfround set up was sounding almost too chocolatey (!?) and was in danger of thumping away somewhere in the distant background.
[/quote]

I've never had a problem with sounding to thumpy. I can always cut through, playing in a loud Rock & Blues band plus I've done local amateur dramatics pantomime with as I've said no problems re sound.
It is I think a matter of personal choice, what I like sound wise, you might find not at all to your taste, but I've never had any completes.

Edited by bigd1