Why become a member? ×

Linking effects: any do's and don'ts?

MarkW

[font="Calibri"][size="3"][color="#000000"]Hi guys[/color][/size][/font]

[font="Calibri"][size="3"][color="#000000"]Having just ordered an MXR pre-amp, my little collection of their pedals has now got to the size where I can consider nailing them onto a board, and as my birthday is fast approaching it seemed like the perfect excuse to get a Pedaltrain Jr. Or rather, to have my wife get one for me :)[/color][/size][/font]
[font="Calibri"][size="3"][color="#000000"]So – in what order should I connect them? Apologies if there are loads of discussions on this already and I’ve just been too lazy to look for them, but any thoughts would be much appreciated. This is what I’ll have:[/color][/size][/font]
[font="Calibri"][size="3"][color="#000000"] [/color][/size][/font]
[font="Calibri"][size="3"][color="#000000"]M81 Pre-amp[/color][/size][/font]
[font="Calibri"][size="3"][color="#000000"]M82 Envelope filter[/color][/size][/font]
[font="Calibri"][size="3"][color="#000000"]M83 Chorus[/color][/size][/font]
[font="Calibri"][size="3"][color="#000000"]M84 Fuzz[/color][/size][/font]
[font="Calibri"][size="3"][color="#000000"]M87 Compressor[/color][/size][/font]
[font="Calibri"][size="3"][color="#000000"]M288 Octave[/color][/size][/font]
[font="Calibri"][size="3"][color="#000000"]I seem to remember that compressors are supposed to go earlier in the chain rather than later, but I could have just made that up. I’ve also got a Boss line selector that I may as well chuck on there, if for no other reason than that it looks quite cool and is something else to press. [/color][/size][/font]
[font="Calibri"][size="3"][color="#000000"]Cheers![/color][/size][/font]

If it were me I'd go

Octave
Fuzz
Envelope Filter
Chorus
Compressor
Preamp

However, thats by no means a "must do". That selection of pedals could easily be configured another way. Some fuzzes want to be first in the chain, for example. Fuzz into Octave gives a very different sound to Fuzz after octave,and so on. You could argue for any one of the filter / fuzz / octave being first! The only thing I'd say was definite is that the compressor should be after the envelope filter---having a compressed signal going into an envelope filter is a bit pointless, given the way EFs work.

I would reverse the order of the first three, but that's just purely down to my personal preference which shows there are many ways to do it! Reasons are I prefer filter before fuzz, as filter afterwards sounds too much like a synth, and I prefer octave after fuzz to layer a clean sub tone under the dirty signal.

I would play about with them & try every combination you can. If someone says "X should go after Y" ignore them.
I have mine so that the filter is near the end so I can cut all the dirt & just let low end through so I can make wubs & swells. I do change things about with the other pedals though to see what interesting things I can come up with.

Have a read through this (starting from the bottom article, part I)...

http://sheponbass.co.uk/blog/?category=Signal+Chain+BASSics

[quote name='uncle psychosis' timestamp='1393277537' post='2378257']

Would you really put the compressor before the filter?
[/quote]

Yes I would. I've experimented with a compressor in various positions in my chain and the place I like it best is first in line. Your Milage may vary :)

[quote name='sk8' timestamp='1393313456' post='2378475']
Yes I would. I've experimented with a compressor in various positions in my chain and the place I like it best is first in line. Your Milage may vary :)
[/quote]

do you use an Envelope Filter as well? I like Compressor up front but if you do that then the compressor levels out your playing dynamics which really screws up your EF.

The general rule is:

Things that use the dynamics of the instrument to function like envelope filters go first.

Things that alter the envelope of the instrument like compressors, fuzz, distortion go next.

Things that add new dynamics to the signal like tremolo and delay go after.

Anything else that doesn't use or alter the original signal envelope can go where ever you think sounds best.

Edited by BigRedX

[quote name='BigRedX' timestamp='1393318271' post='2378523']
The general rule is:

Things that use the dynamics of the instrument to function like envelope filters go first.

Things that alter the envelope of the instrument like compressors, fuzz, distortion go next.

Things that add new dynamics to the signal like tremolo and delay go after.

Anything else that doesn't use or alter the original signal envelope can go where ever you think sounds best.
[/quote]

Sorry buddy, but I disagree with that as it really depends on what kind of filter, dirt, modulation, etc you are using & what sort of sound you are going for.
If you're after a synth like sound, then dirt going after the filter means that the sound has always got that fizz, whereas putting the dirt in front means you can cut the dirt's effect & bring in swells when using something like the Moog MF-101 with an exp pedal. If you're using an auto wah (such as an envelope follower), then you "might" want to put the dirt after it to have a dirty funk sound.

If you're using an octaver, again it depends on how you want to sound. If you want to just beef up the lows with some clean low end, then it doesn't matter where it goes.
If you use the octave down to get your primary sound, then you may want to put the octaver 1st so that the following effects affect the sound of it (it's probably pointless putting tone shaping effects before something that generates it's own sound).

I agree with putting certain modulation effects towards the end, but again, putting the chorus earlier could give you that DnB sound.

Some folk prefer the compressor at the start, some at the end, some put it in the middle. Me, I put it on the guitarist's board.

The Boss selector opens up a whole new world of routing & split signal paths. Perfect for making sounds that the guitarist won't understand! :D

[quote name='uncle psychosis' timestamp='1393316910' post='2378506']

do you use an Envelope Filter as well? I like Compressor up front but if you do that then the compressor levels out your playing dynamics which really screws up your EF.
[/quote]

I do

[quote name='cheddatom' timestamp='1393318900' post='2378529']
Yep, although depending on your filter/overdrive you may want to tame the dynamics with a compressor first as SK8 likes
[/quote]

For this reason

if you like to do the odd bit of 'dirty slapping' a bit of compression before envelope filter helps to trim the nasty spikes off.

i also prefer dirt before filter, for the same reasons as xgsjx.

edit : a guitarist i work with prefers filter before dirt, so i guess it's which sound you want to achieve that matters.

Edited by phil.i.stein