Why become a member? ×

String spacing - better on a Precision style bass.....?

Absolute Beginner

Hi all.

A question for any of you whom would be kind enough to answer.....?

I have the following:
- An Epiphone Viola.
- Small'ish hands !

I have been trying play the above via finger plucking but constantly find myself hitting other strings.

I am currently in the market for a new bass, and have had various excellent suggestions from others on this forum as to the numerous options on offer. I phoned Wunjo's in Denmark Street, who were extremely helpful, and I will be paying the store a visit in the next couple of weeks.

Given the above, do Precision style basses offer a slightly wider string spacing, which may help me to contact the above....? Or, are there any other possibilities in this instance ?

Any comments would be gratefully appreciated.

Many thanks.

It sounds like more practice would help but obv buy a new bass if you want one.

Yes P basses have wider string spacing than some other basses (though I don't know about the two you already have) but worth bearing in mind that the neck thickness may be an issue if you have small hands (though you'll only know by playing one).

Edited by Lw.

I play with a pick and fingers, both with relative ease. When I started to learn bass back in the early 1980's, some of my bass heroes played with a pick and some didnt. I took to both ways like a duck to water.
There appears to be some urban myth going around about 'real bassists dont use a pick' But I dont know where that came from, probably one of those slappitty thwackity kids showing off in guitar shops on a Saturday afternoon. ;)

[quote name='Absolute Beginner' timestamp='1392932634' post='2374518']Do you feel that it's important to be able to finger pluck as well as play with a pick..? I seem to be far more comfortable playing with a pick at the moment, but I gather that can be frowned upon by the bass community ?![/quote]

Using a pick is frowned upon by people who can't use a pick. :) I've been pretty much exclusively a pick player since 1974 and have had no complaints so far. But I do play fingerstyle when necessary - ultimately it is good if you can do both.

Edited by discreet

[quote name='Absolute Beginner' timestamp='1392932634' post='2374518']
but I gather that can be frowned upon by the bass community ?!
[/quote]

just frown right back and pluck or pick away to your heart's content :)

i shouldnt worry about it too much - it will mostly be keyboard warriors who should be practising their scales anyway ;)

Edited by steve-bbb

[quote name='Absolute Beginner' timestamp='1392973402' post='2374721'] And another thing.....! I normal pluck with my thumb resting on the E string as opposed to resting on the neck pick up. Is this wrong and will hamper my development, or doesn't it really matter ? Thanks again. [/quote]

It can actually be very useful if the E string needs to be dampened while you are playing other notes on other strings, just don't get into the habit of keeping your thumb rooted to the E string. Eventually it will be second nature taking it off when you need to play the E string. For the time being just concentrate on getting nice clean sounding notes and that you can play in time with what the music requires. Get confident on the instrument you have before moving on to other ones. If a pick currently gives you that confidence to improve then stick with it, many pro players use picks almost exclusively and it can become part of 'their sound'. There is always time to work on finger style as you progress.

[quote name='Absolute Beginner' timestamp='1392973402' post='2374721']
And another thing.....!

I normal pluck with my thumb resting on the E string as opposed to resting on the neck pick up.

Is this wrong and will hamper my development, or doesn't it really matter ?

Thanks again.
[/quote]

It will certainly make playing the E string much harder.

Most bass players spend most of their time playing on the E and A strings, so leaving your thumb on the E is simply not an option.

The 'travelling thumb' method is excellent and well worth learning & practising, but it's not a bad idea to also be comfortable with your thumb anchored somewhere. I've seen people use the pickup, the side of the neck up at the 20th fret, even the edge of the pick-guard as a place to anchor.

With regard to string spacing, I learned to play on old Hofners with a 14mm/15mm spacing. As my playing style developed, I found that I had a naturally robust approach to bass ... i.e. I play heavily and I like to dig in. I now play Precisions with a 19mm spacing which feels much better.

But I can still pick up my Hofners at any time and play them. String spacing isn't a black/white, on/off thing.

[quote name='Happy Jack' timestamp='1392975237' post='2374742']
It will certainly make playing the E string much harder.

Most bass players spend most of their time playing on the E and A strings, so leaving your thumb on the E is simply not an option.

The 'travelling thumb' method is excellent and well worth learning & practising, but it's not a bad idea to also be comfortable with your thumb anchored somewhere. I've seen people use the pickup, the side of the neck up at the 20th fret, even the edge of the pick-guard as a place to anchor.

With regard to string spacing, I learned to play on old Hofners with a 14mm/15mm spacing. As my playing style developed, I found that I had a naturally robust approach to bass ... i.e. I play heavily and I like to dig in. I now play Precisions with a 19mm spacing which feels much better.

But I can still pick up my Hofners at any time and play them. String spacing isn't a black/white, on/off thing.
[/quote]

On the other hand An rest my thumb on the E/B-string, but also, almost exclusively use the thumb to pluck the E/B string as well. only using two or three fingers he fingers when I need the burst of speed.