Why become a member? ×

Harley Dav..err Benton Jazz

tom1946

[quote name='tom1946' timestamp='1392627172' post='2370650']
Well, I just got this at 7.30am, I simply cannot believe the quality of this bass!!
The finish is flawless, the neck is as straight as an arrow and there is very little of the sharp fret edges, certainly not enough to make me want to file them down.
anyway pics:

[url="http://s185.photobucket.com/user/Peasmold/media/IMG_9777_zps09a1820d.jpg.html"][/url]
<snip>

It arrived with a low action and perfect intonation, can't believe it for 100 quid :o :happy:

Pickups are what you expect for Wilkinson jazz, quite punchy and solid, I don't do honk or slap in a church so you'll have to make up your own mind about it. The tone control is very smooth and gradual in operation.
Tuners are wilko's as well as is the bridge, both work very well.
Weight? It's about 9.5 lbs, it's american ash body.

Comes with D'Addario XL strings fer cryin' out loud,

Anything I would change?

hmm.. Fender sticker maybe? Nah, I'm not a name tart. :rolleyes:

So overall it's astonishing value for money, I am going to sell some of my 'better' basses now.

Buy one today... no buy two! :lol: :D :happy: :happy: :happy:
[/quote]

oh god :o
why did you have to go posting these pics? why did you have to say it's good?
it'd make the perfect testbed for a few non-invasive mods too... like the very nice Schaller JBX pups I've got hanging around that are just begging to be chucked into a bass... like the various homebrewed eq types ive been experimenting with...
please, [i]please[/i] tell me it's actually a terrible bass and that i shouldnt bother getting one... please, somebody talk me out of it :blink:

[quote name='UglyDog' timestamp='1393501994' post='2381033']
oh god :o
why did you have to go posting these pics? why did you have to say it's good?
it'd make the perfect testbed for a few non-invasive mods too... like the very nice Schaller JBX pups I've got hanging around that are just begging to be chucked into a bass... like the various homebrewed eq types ive been experimenting with...
please, [i]please[/i] tell me it's actually a terrible bass and that i shouldnt bother getting one... please, somebody talk me out of it :blink:
[/quote]

Ok it's an absolute dog

Edited by tom1946

• 3 weeks later...

[quote name='Woodinblack' timestamp='1395255326' post='2400345']
Has anyone tried the Harley Benton PB-50 SB Vintage model, the one that is like the tele precision?
It is calling me a bit, but so is the jazz. Really I would liek the 5 string Jazz/P bass, but I can't get on with that colour.
[/quote]

Look at the gear list of Tom1946 in the post just above yours.

Given that he owns two Harley Bentons, some similar design Squiers, and a brace of real Fenders, Tom1946 is the guru of all things Harley Benton Fender copy.

Edited by Annoying Twit

Well, my Jazz bass vintage harley benson turned up today and wow do you get a lot of guitar for your money, it is great!
Weighs a ton, but apart from that it has a really good sound, looks very nice (nicer than my VM Squier) and the controls are really positive (unlike the VM Squier!).

It is the heaviest guitar in my collection though I think it manages to be a little lighter than my piano..

[quote name='Annoying Twit' timestamp='1392808135' post='2372900']
It's a bit annoying that the fretless model has pretty much the same finish, but no pickguard.

I know that gives it the 'Jaco' vibe (if not make it an absolute copy), but even so it's a bit disappointing.
[/quote]

Thomann also sell the Harley Benton scratchplates separately if you have a nosey in their parts section. Tortoiseshell for about £15 or pearl for around £19 if you wanted to add to the fretless.

[quote name=&#39;Budgetneil&#39; timestamp=&#39;1395780166&#39; post=&#39;2406299&#39;] Thomann also sell the Harley Benton scratchplates separately if you have a nosey in their parts section. Tortoiseshell for about £15 or pearl for around £19 if you wanted to add to the fretless. [/quote]

My plan to buy a fretless is on hold until I recover from other financial outgoings (I&#39;m not that poor, but budget carefully). However the HB is a definite possibility. £15 doesn't seem much, but it's 13.57% of the price of the whole bass! :)

Edited by Annoying Twit

After having to send back my second vintage fretless icon I decided to give one of these a go. So I have now ordered both the fretless and the natural fretted jazz bass.

It does feel a bit excessive to buy 2 basses in 1 go but I had a voucher from reviewing products on Thomann so buying both together cost £50 less than the vintage.

It looks like I'll have to wait 2 months for the fretted one but I can be patient!

I had the HB Beatbass about 5 years ago and found it to be well-made, looked really nice and most importantly, played sounded good too. I've also had the Hofner Ignition (the cheapest model) and out of the two, I'd probably go for the Beatbass again if I was getting another bass of that type.

For looks, I preferred the looks and styling of the Hofner, but for controls and sound, I preferred having a tone control on the HB (2 x volume 1 x tone) over the pickup switching on the Hofner. I found the output on the Hofner to be quite low, even after adjusting pickup height. In comparison, the HB had much hotter pickups. I couldn't say how they compare to the German made Hofners as I've never been near one and know that the Ignition Hofner uses different pickups, whereas the more expensive Contemporary uses the same pickups on the German models.

That said, the Beatbass has now been redesigned for the Hofner-style switching and at £110 (I paid £99 for mine at the time), well worth it, especially when restrung with flats or black nylons.

[quote name='discreet' timestamp='1396131897' post='2410345']
The Jazz looks quite amazing - and at that price it would be worth me getting one and keeping it in a cupboard just to stop me from buying Jazz basses and selling them again because I don't get on with the necks! Yes, I know.
[/quote]

You could buy both a J and a P, swap the necks then sell the leftover P with a J neck to someone who likes skinny necks...

[quote name='Beer of the Bass' timestamp='1396132631' post='2410361']
You could buy both a J and a P, swap the necks then sell the leftover P with a J neck to someone who likes skinny necks...
[/quote]

At those prices, yes I could! But then I'd have a third bass to choose from and I'm only just coming to terms with having two basses after decades of having only one... but hey, other members seem to have got used to it... ;)