Why become a member? ×

Battered half to death with a rhythm stick!

SpaceChick

I play this with the covers band. It was one of those situations where the drummer suggested it, to put me in my place when he couldn't get a beat right. SO I had to nail it just to show him!! It was hard work, but I got to a passable interpretation in the end.

We have a new drummer now. And he clicks in at around the right speed before switching up a few gears at the first "hit me". "just to keep me on my toes". I have to say, although I usually manage to keep up, I have grown to hate this song that I once loved so much.

The story behind it, I'm told, is that it started out as a fairly straight 8th note groove. Around the time they were working on it, Norman had been to see Jaco Pastorius playing live. After which he started creeping in the 16th notes gradually until the bass line we know and love was born. Apparently Chaz Jankel didn't like it at all, saying it was too busy, but it kind of stuck because they all got used to it.

Whether true or not I don't know, but I do know it goes down very well at every gig we play it. So much so, we usually extend it [i]ad nauseum[/i]. And here's a tip from someone who has played this out every week for 2 years...

If it doesn't hurt you're not doing it right :)

Just keep going with it, you'll get there! It's like everything, if you can hear it, then you can probably do it with the right mindset!

For the first week of trying to learn it, I got heavy handed which subsequently slowed me down, it was only when I started to just tickle the strings for it, I had it up to full speed in about three days (I had nothing else to do to be fair!)

[quote name='SpaceChick' timestamp='1392583007' post='2370384']
Thanks, but I have the dots..... I'm finding half the battle is deciding where best to play the notes for speedy movement! Lol!
[/quote]

there is no real left hand speed needed to speak of - as always there is more than one way to skin a cat and the doubled walking line in the verse can be played and varied in a couple of positions - if i get chance this morning i will throw up a quick tab of the position where my playing style find the flow of the pattern smoothest - the walking line during the verse is in 16 and pretty tight and straight but there are occasional points where it is punctuated at the start or end of the phrase with a small syncopated skip - try not to let the skip continue through into the next section of the phrase

all the drive in this is totally with the right hand

and dont forget the rising octaves in the chorus that the first lower note is a double hit

hope this helps :D

Don't know if this helps with your (ahem) fingering issues/concerns, but Nick Latham's cover of this is great, he has a very economical style with both hands, but the left in particular.

http://youtu.be/pNOgcAful9w

(I don't know how to embed the video, technophobe alert)
EDIT - seems just posting the link embedded the video for me, nice one

Edited by Evil Undead