Why become a member? ×

ACG filter preamp

Dread Bass

I love this preamp! I have been using other basses recently and felt something was missing. I used my ACG Recurve last night at practice with the filter preamp and it was tone heaven. Combined with my Aguilar rig I don't think I have ever been so happy with my tone.

Anyone else loving the filter pre?

[quote name='Dread Bass' timestamp='1392395772' post='2368225']
It does share a similarity to a Wal preamp. I've never tried a Wal but I dig the flexibility of filters once you get your head round it.
[/quote]

It's like a Wal circuit but with much more flexibility.

For each low pass filter, you can control both the cutoff frequency and the amount of boost around the Q point - on the Wal, the push-pull pot gives you a fixed, pre-set boost.

Again on the high pass filter - it's fully variable for frequency and boost - the Wal just has a preset "Pick Attack" on the push-pull master volume, although you can vary the boost amount by tweaking a little pot inside the control cavity.

I'd have to say that for live work, the Wal circuit is easier to control ( for me anyway) with less capability for digging yourself into an EQ hole! The added complexities of the ACG circuit makes it something of a gift for recording if you spend the time learning how it works and have access to full frequency range monitoring.

It's the most flexible and powerful on board eq circuit I've come across yet.

Ed

I've had ACG filters installed into one of my alembic basses for a few years now. That bass is a 5 string Europa with a single low pass filter, q switch low and mid cut and boost switches, pan and master volume.. I had The ACG installed as i was trying to remove the GAS I had for an alembic series bass and thought it would give me a similar setup to an alembic Series II bass but with the addition of the high pass filter.

However whilst I gained a lot of tonal flexibility, I found that I the character and punch that original electronics had was not there, and as a result I hardly gigged with that bass at all which is a shame as that was my first call bass prior to the mod. So....at the weekend I put the original alembic guts back in and it's like meeting up with an old friend again.

I must clarify here that I don't think there is anything wrong with the ACG filters I think they didn't suit that bass. I could get the really low dub bass sound which is what I need sometimes but not the right character tone or punch in the lower mids to carry the groove in the band. I have recently bought a bolt on bass so they may end up in there as I have read bolt ons have a natural punch in the mid range. If I get to bass day I may have another chat to Alan and John about this and see what they suggest.

Since having the ACG filters I've acquired a series II alembic and they are tonally very different.
Jazzyvee

I've got one and think it's great - it really fits with my streamer stage one and I've been so happy with the tone and sound of it.
I love the real richness it has.
I can understand though why, as Jazzyvee says, it's not for every bass - and sometimes the directness of the sound of a bass with a regular preamp or passive is what you need.

Jazzy you need to try the latest version of the pre-amp the 03 which has been further refined to produce much more control over the all important mids. The push/pull low mid and hid mid controls make a big difference as does the reduced range on the lowpass filters. Having spent years trying to be all things to all men I have had a rethink in order to produce a more focused pre-amp to use with the MC Series of pickups. If you get to London please drop by to hear the new pre-amp. This obviously applies to anyone interested and down at the show.

[quote name='skelf' timestamp='1392663781' post='2371328']
Jazzy you need to try the latest version of the pre-amp the 03 which has been further refined to produce much more control over the all important mids. The push/pull low mid and hid mid controls make a big difference as does the reduced range on the lowpass filters. Having spent years trying to be all things to all men I have had a rethink in order to produce a more focused pre-amp to use with the MC Series of pickups. If you get to London please drop by to hear the new pre-amp. This obviously applies to anyone interested and down at the show.
[/quote]
I cant make the show...but as an ex Wal & Alembic owner this pre sounds like the stuff of my dreams! (incidentally I preferred the Wal pre to the Alembic)

I have never really used the Alembic pre but we did try to get into the same ballpark with the filters going as high as the Alembic. However I am very familiar with the Wal pre-amp which I think is great. So in re focusing my own agenda it leans more in the direction of the Wal. It will come in 3 variations with the 3K version having pretty much the functionality of the Wal with the added features of the 03. A 4K version of which more details to follow and the 5K which has the active/passive tone control added.

Edited by skelf

[quote name='skelf' timestamp='1392665714' post='2371380']
I am very familiar with the Wal pre-amp which I think is great. So in re focusing my own agenda it leans more in the direction of the Wal.
[/quote]
Which is why I want one in my life :D

My pal has a 1970's Alembic series 1 - but for me the Wal pre is so much simpler (and sounds every bit as good).

Didn't think that at all input is always good. It is because of people telling me what they think that has allowed us to refine and hopefully improve the pre-amp. I think with the new version we have pretty much what I think will be the final version,mind you I have said that before.

[quote name='White Cloud' timestamp='1392666048' post='2371393']
Which is why I want one in my life :D

My pal has a 1970's Alembic series 1 - but for me the Wal pre is so much simpler (and sounds every bit as good).
[/quote]

You are welcome to drop in any time you are in the area. After the London show there will be instruments to try out.

[quote name='skelf' timestamp='1392663781' post='2371328']
[/quote]

I was about to say something similar in relation to the hi and lo mid boosts but Alan beat me to it. Owning a newer ACG filter pre and having owned the earlier model I can appreciate how Alan has improved on an already good filter pre amp.

Peter

[quote name='GreeneKing' timestamp='1392675558' post='2371585']
I was about to say something similar in relation to the hi and lo mid boosts but Alan beat me to it. Owning a newer ACG filter pre and having owned the earlier model I can appreciate how Alan has improved on an already good filter pre amp.

Peter
[/quote]

Got to agree with this. I had version 1 of the filter preamp and changed it for a v2 and it is much more focused sounding. Interesting hearing a comparison to the Alembic pre. I own an Alembic buts its an Epic so doesn't have any filters.

• 2 weeks later...

Had the opportunity to play with my recently fitted EQ01 over the weekend (bass returned to me the day we began recording our new EP!).

A revelation, never been happier with an EQ before, spent a few minutes reading the manual and had a sound I was very happy with in no time at all. Believe the hype, I've got a syrupy dub tone from my neck pickup and a snappy Stingray-esque tone at the bridge and the blending between the two really opens up a world of possibility.