Why become a member? ×

Insurance

cclowend

I've never claimed but having previously been paying a small fortune through one of the main companies, I heard about NewMoon on here.They are a small company run by musicians and very friendly / knowledgeable. I've never claimed so can't speak for anyone when it come to the crunch but hopefully I'm just buying peace of mind.

Two pitfalls, firstly a lot of people think they are covered by home insurance and this isn't usually the case. Secondly, a lot of insurers want receipts etc which for vintage gear can be a problem so back it up with valuations etc.

Might be worth thinking about the actual risk. I only take my stuff out of the house for gigs and it is never really out of my sight so I don't worry about tit being stolen, which is presumably the main risk. I also never leave it in the car and my wife is always with the car while I'm loading and unloading. So, short of some sort of violent robbery, which doesn't really seem very likely, I can't really see my gear being at any particular risk. On that basis, I don't bother with any insurance other than my home policy and must have saved quite a bit over the years.

I'm certainly not suggesting no one should buy insurance, because others may have very different circumstances, but just that it shouldn't be an automatic decision.

• 3 months later...

Thread bump...

I've just renewed with [url="http://www.newmooninsurance.com/Musical/"]New Moon insurance[/url], having been with them for the last couple of years. I spoke to a very pleasant man in an office in Tunbridge Wells, who told me the premium is the same as last year. Which is nice, especially as it's on the right side of £100 for quite a few grand's worth of gear.

Of course the proof is in the pudding, and (touch wood) I haven't had cause to claim yet, but nothing I've read anywhere gives me anything other than confidence in them.

Definitely worth a look.

I hear good things about Allianz - I think our guitarist has his Les Paul insured with them. I'll second Roland's recommendation of the MU - up to £2,000 of gear insurance included with the membership fee, and I don't think it costs too much more to insure any particularly expensive items on top of that. (Thankfully) I've never had to file a claim with them though, so I can't comment on how good the service is when you actually need it!

[quote name='wateroftyne' timestamp='1401795775' post='2466887']
I've changed a few times with New Moon, and it's always taken a minute or two over the phone.
[/quote]

Sounds good to me... think I'll give them a call. It's got to be better than relying on my house insurance :unsure: