Why become a member? ×

Custom Builds

steviedee

Hi

Can anyone recommend a luthier who all make a custom bass to a specific design. There are great bass builders like ACG and Shuker but obviously they have models which you can add your spec to. I was wondering if there is anybody out there who would build a bass to a specified design or would build a bass as an homage to a classic and add their take on it. I'm after a 5 string and I know the look I would like but I just can't find them anywhere!

S

Edited by steviedee

If you're in Glasgow as your location states you could get in contact with Chris McIntyre in Edinburgh. He is excelent. He's done quite a bit of work on some of my basses and it is done to a high degree of prefection. Chris can do custom builds to any shape, just depends if you can afford the price.

http://www.mcintyreguitars.com

Any luthier worth their salt will build you whatever you want (within reason of course). They don't all just stick to fixed models with detail differences. See the [url="http://www.shukerguitars.co.uk/customgallery.html"]Shuker custom gallery[/url] for example.

Thanks for the info guys really useful. To be honest I'd like a 5 string Rickenbacker but with a bit more flexibility but they are rare and by all accounts not very good! But I like that kind of look so anyone who has spotted something like that I'd appreciate a heads up

I saw this but not quite sold on it [url="http://www.vintageandrare.com/uploads/products/33733/834351/original.jpg"]Schloff[/url] and I've saw some rare ones that look a bit less of an homage and more of a copy.

Edited by steviedee

[quote name='steviedee' timestamp='1392206068' post='2365879']
Hi

Can anyone recommend a luthier who all make a custom bass to a specific design. There are great bass builders like ACG and Shuker but obviously they have models which you can add your spec to. I was wondering if there is anybody out there who would build a bass to a specified design or would build a bass as an homage to a classic and add their take on it. I'm after a 5 string and I know the look I would like but I just can't find them anywhere!

S
[/quote]I have a Prometeus custom build see pic.He's based in Italy but ships everywhere,he will do custom one offs to an extent..he's on Fbook etc