Why become a member? ×

So go on tell me... which bass should I buy

BobVbass

[quote]discreet, on 10 February 2014 - 02:41 PM, said:
Maybe a different amp is what you need?
Exactly what I was thinking.

Better get saving for a B15. [/quote]

Yes did think of an amp but I'd get a lightweight back up like a mark bass f1 if I did - happy with the hartke/ super twelve at the minute; thanks for the idea tho ;)

[quote]'51 RI?

I had a Sting sig for a while and loved it. At the time however I wanted more tonal options so moved it on for a Jazz. I wish I'd kept that one; looked so fine![/quote]

Yes good idea but I've already got the paisley precision to cover the old P bass area

-I was doing a multi-band gig last week, and everyone used the same bass amp. There were a couple of Ps which sounded lovely, but my favourite (apart from my own, obviously) was this Telecaster bass:
http://www.dawsons.co.uk/fender-tele-bass-modern-player-series-maple-fretboard-butterscotch-blonde
It was nice and old-school sounding, yet had clarity and character - I was really impressed.

[quote][color=#282828][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]-I was doing a multi-band gig last week, and everyone used the same bass amp. There were a couple of Ps which sounded lovely, but my favourite (apart from my own, obviously) was this Telecaster bass:[/font][/color]
[url="http://www.dawsons.co.uk/fender-tele-bass-modern-player-series-maple-fretboard-butterscotch-blonde"]http://www.dawsons.c...erscotch-blonde[/url]

[color=#282828][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]It was nice and old-school sounding, yet had clarity and character - I was really impressed. [/font][/color][/quote]

That looks really nice actually

I have to say at the minute I'm swayed towards either the Les Paul (If Mr Precision Lozz says they're nice then I'll probably like it & if I do like it I can get even more GAS and get one of the Gibson versions in a while - or the Jack Casady - I like the look and the fact that I'd have to fiddle with it (lightweight tuners, reinforce the top horn inside and move the strap button) would be fun.

I like the look of the early P bass G&Ls but the others look like they're a Stingray ready to burst out and I've had a couple of MusicMans (men) and didn't like them...

Almost at decision point I think....maybe....more frantic googling and endless pouring over stats reviews and figures is underway but I can feel the GAS valve definitely reaching the "oh just get one of those" stage - of course one of the ones I'm looking at could sell at any minute then I'll be back to square one :)

[quote name='neepheid' timestamp='1392037792' post='2363820']
Heavy? You're kidding, right? It's practically hollow. It's far and away the lightest bass I own.

But yes, if it's old school you want, the Jack Casady is hard to beat. The varitone gives a few extra tonal options, can't speak for all of them but mine is well finished and screwed together and it looks the absolute nuts, especially in gold - although I think they've just released a white one, if that's your thing.
[/quote]

Mine was 8.5 lbs, which I thought was heavy for a semi-acoustic bass. It's way heavier than any of the other semi-acoustics I've owned (Hofner President, Hofner Violin, Hofner Club bass). Sure, it's not 70's P bass weight, but I was surprised by the weight for a semi.

Edited by tredders

[quote name='tredders' timestamp='1392109361' post='2364666']
Mine was 8.5 lbs, which I thought was heavy for a semi-acoustic bass. It's way heavier than any of the other semi-acoustics I've owned (Hofner President, Hofner Violin, Hofner Club bass). Sure, it's not 70's P bass weight, but I was surprised by the weight for a semi.
[/quote]

I haven't weighed mine, and I guess having >12lb slabs of Gibson maple in my collection colours my judgement of what is "heavy" ;)

[quote name='gary mac' timestamp='1392047399' post='2363994']
G & L should probably be on your radar. Many consider the P's that Leo designed at that point of his career to be the best.

[url="http://www.glguitars.com/instruments/USA/basses/LB-100/index.asp"]http://www.glguitars...B-100/index.asp[/url]

[url="http://www.glguitars.com/instruments/USA/basses/SB1/index.asp"]http://www.glguitars...s/SB1/index.asp[/url]

The pups in the SB1's are seriously hot.
[/quote] I agree G+L's are really great but there never seems much love for them I don't really know why though

[quote name='tredders' timestamp='1392109361' post='2364666'] Mine was 8.5 lbs, which I thought was heavy for a semi-acoustic bass. It's way heavier than any of the other semi-acoustics I've owned (Hofner President, Hofner Violin, Hofner Club bass). Sure, it's not 70's P bass weight, but I was surprised by the weight for a semi. [/quote]
If those were the German made items they're true hollow bodies with nothing beneath the top. Most hollow bodied instruments, including the JC, have a centre block which inevitably adds to the weight and would probably come as a surprise if you're used to genuinely hollow bodies.

As far as I know the cheaper models in Hofner's range all have centre blocks though, so maybe that's not the case.

Edited by Musky

[quote name='White Cloud' timestamp='1392039352' post='2363840']
....I would say that you have answered your own question in your original post....
[/quote]

+1

It seems to me that you already own all the basses you need (according to your sig), I'd suggest a Lakland 5 string bass.

[quote name='BobVbass' timestamp='1392107057' post='2364638']
I like the look of the early P bass G&Ls but the others look like they're a Stingray ready to burst out and I've had a couple of MusicMans (men) and didn't like them...
[/quote]

The G&L L series has very little to do with Stingrays. There is no Stingray ready to burst out because apart from the fact that MFD pickups have very little in common with Stingray pickups other than a vague physical resemblance, there is no active 2 or 3 band EQ circuit. The EQ on an L series is purely passive (cut only). The active modes are a simple preamp line boost, or a rather harsh top end boost. I mostly used my Tribute L-2000 100% passive. Although I did have it modded to give single coil operation. Favourite setting was both (inner) single coils.

It would be a shame to dismiss the Tribute L-2000 on the grounds that its pickups look a little like a Stingray's.

There's always the G&L Tribute SB-2. PJ MFDs. Thinner neck though.

Edited by neepheid

[quote]The G&L L series has very little to do with Stingrays. There is no Stingray ready to burst out because apart from the fact that MFD pickups have very little in common with Stingray pickups other than a vague physical resemblance, there is no active 2 or 3 band EQ circuit. The EQ on an L series is purely passive (cut only). The active modes are a simple preamp line boost, or a rather harsh top end boost. I mostly used my Tribute L-2000 100% passive. Although I did have it modded to give single coil operation. Favourite setting was both (inner) single coils.

It would be a shame to dismiss the Tribute L-2000 on the grounds that its pickups look a little like a Stingray's.

There's always the G&L Tribute SB-2. PJ MFDs. Thinner neck though. [/quote]

Ok I'll take a look thanks ;)