Why become a member? ×

Who's had a pre-fame support act?

Born 2B Mild

Have you had a support band or artist that subsequently became more famous?

[i]Here's my starter for ten...[/i]

In 1978, I the was playing bass for amateur hopefuls, Lorelei. The gig was Wokingham Rock Club and a support band was arranged by the venue. After the sound check, we went for a pint (as the club was not licensed) and came back in time to see a band, consisting of youngsters, finishing their set.

What struck me was the size of the drummer’s kit. I remember it as a 13-piece gold Premier kit, which was a bit out of the usual to say the least. In the changing room I asked the drummer where he had got the kit from. He said his father was given it by Keith Moon. And then I found out I was talking to a 13-year old Zak Starkey!

Is Jim Glennie on Basschat? The list of [url="http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/James_%28band%29#James_support_acts"]James support bands[/url] acts includes bands like Nirvana, Radiohead, Stereophonics, Coldplay...

But your drummer (WoT) is the fabulous Ray Laidlaw of Lindisfarne!! Isn't that cheating?

Incidentally, how many people know that when Ray parted company with Lindisfarne to form Jack the Lad, Phil Collins was offered the drum stool - and considered taking it! How different would life have been then?

It's in the book so it must be true! :)

[quote name='Mickeyboro' post='233199' date='Jul 5 2008, 04:03 PM']But your drummer (WoT) is the fabulous Ray Laidlaw of Lindisfarne!! Isn't that cheating?[/quote]

Yes. Probably! :)

[quote name='Mickeyboro' post='233199' date='Jul 5 2008, 04:03 PM']Incidentally, how many people know that when Ray parted company with Lindisfarne to form Jack the Lad, Phil Collins was offered the drum stool - and considered taking it! How different would life have been then?

It's in the book so it must be true! :huh:[/quote]

It's a very intersting part of the book, that. Mind, I've had a chance to ask Mr. Collins about it and he can't quite recall being asked.

Those crazy 70s!

Not exactly a support, but an early demo of a former band of mine featured the two Stuarts (Murdoch & David) from Belle & Sebastian (pre B&S) on backing vox... We were all on a 'Training For Work' scheme and anytime there was any recording done, whoever was around was roped into helping.

Insult to injury, I then attended their album launch, and knocked back an autographed vinyl copy of the original 'Tigermilk' album. The sound you hear is me kicking myself..!

Yep, Muse. Toured with them in 98 with us headlining most nights. They were very good back then, very focussed. I think they signed to Maverick soon after. Our old manager now looks after some pretty huge bands coming out of Brighton. Ho hum!

I dont have any really but Many many years ago my Dad was in a big Blues band (there was about 7 of them) and they were supported by a very loud young band by the name of "The Who" I was amazed when he told me but all he said was "we didnt know who the bloody hell they were, but I did have a nice chat with the singer and bass player who were very complimentary about our band saying 'we wish we could get a sound like that'" ....great. He also had the same manager as David Bowie (again a no-one at this point) and described him as terribly awkward and shy, and nasty teeth.. Well done dad. Oh and his best friend from about 5, was Ian Mclagen of the small faces who he tought to play guitar. we still have pictures of him when he was about ten, he sends the odd email too, through friends reunited.

Best friend played with Muse as well in Plymouth Uni, said the singer was a prick but the other guys were class.

In the mid 70s we were booked to play at a college in London (can't remember exact place).
We'd just finished soundchecking when a couple of scruffy 'erberts told us that they were going to be playing as well... [b]and[/b] that they would be using our PA. :)
Had to admire their front.

Half a minute into their first song, and what was a reasonably full hall became pretty vacant... still, the spotty faced urchins carried on and completed a 30 or 40 minute set.

In the ensuing few years anarchy reigned - musically speaking.

There's no points for correctly guessing the name of this popular beat combo.

[quote name='budget bassist' post='233205' date='Jul 5 2008, 04:14 PM']i know someone that's played with enter shikari back when they were less known (and still utterly crap), though i can't remember who supported who.[/quote]
haha, funny you mention Enter Shikari. I used to work with a mate doing gig promotion and we put them on a couple of times, just before that summer where they suddenly got really famous in the emo circles. Totally sold out the gigs, which was nice for our pockets, but what a bunch of complete w***ers they were to deal with. Having dealt with quite a few bands through promotion, and also doing stewarding it is apparent that they were a bunch of total arseholes in comparision to anyone else. Always a sore topic when any mates bring them up in positive favour...