Why become a member? ×

Strings

anti-barbie

I'd narrow your quest down by deciding on 2 main factors; Nickel v Steel (there are one or two more obscure alternatives but generally these 2) and what is your preferred string gauge (don't worry too much about exact string thickness, just light/medium/heavy).

Once you've done this you can then start thinking about what different manufacturers offer... of course I could be teaching my Granny to suck eggs and your question might be specifically about manufacturers :) In which case Thomastik nickels :huh:

[quote name='warwickhunt' post='233053' date='Jul 5 2008, 09:47 AM']I'd narrow your quest down by deciding on 2 main factors; Nickel v Steel (there are one or two more obscure alternatives but generally these 2) and what is your preferred string gauge (don't worry too much about exact string thickness, just light/medium/heavy).

Once you've done this you can then start thinking about what different manufacturers offer... of course I could be teaching my Granny to suck eggs and your question might be specifically about manufacturers :) In which case Thomastik nickels :huh:[/quote]

+1. A lot of people start talking about string manufacturers without paying a second thought to the actual material used. Comparing Rotosound (more known for their stainless steels) to Ernie Ball (more known for their nickel wounds) isn't a fair comparison.

I prefer nickel-plated steel as gives me a balance between warmth and longer life. At the moment, I'm in love with DR Sunbeams.

Edited by s_u_y_*

Like Warwickhunt says, there are a few more basic questions you may need to answer and they can only be answered by trying lots of different strings. Steel vs Nickel, round vs hex core, tapered ns not tapered, roundwound vs half-round etc....

Personally, I like the sound of Roto's, but hate the feel of them. I really dislike silk wraps. I prefer the flexibility of round core strings over hex and in general I prefer the vibrancy and zing of steel over Nickel. My string of choice are DR Hi-Beams, closely followed by D'addario's, but the only reason I know this is because I've tried loads over the years.