Why become a member? ×

Used Turntable advice, any experts out there?

skidder652003

I'm going to be upgrading my turntable soon so will be looking to move it on. It's a Pro-Ject Expression II like this one (but with an Ortofon cartridge):

I have all the original packaging so could post it no prob. Would be in your price range too.

Just a thought...

Project would be a very good bet.

There was a time back in the 1990's when you could pick up some amazingly good turntables secondhand for ridiculously cheap prices, but those days seem to be long-gone now as people have come to their senses and realised how good a format vinyl still is. For £150 you will struggle to get anything better than a Project ( very good decks, so nothing wrong with that choice at all) , but you might find a used Rega Planar 2 ( yes it doesn't sound as good as the Planar 3 , but it's still terrific for what it is ) or 3 , depending on the cartridge and arm ect, for around that or a bit more if you look around.

Also, don't discount some older decks from the '80's like Acoustic Research,or Systemdek from the 1990's. . If you can find one in reasonable working order they still sound great.

[quote name='omikin' timestamp='1391524368' post='2358102']
I'm going to be upgrading my turntable soon so will be looking to move it on. It's a Pro-Ject Expression II like this one (but with an Ortofon cartridge):

I have all the original packaging so could post it no prob. Would be in your price range too.

Just a thought...
[/quote]

That looks to be a great buy. Especially with an Ortofon cartridge, I don't see how the O.P will do any better. Just my 2 pence worth.

Edited by Dingus

[quote name='Dingus' timestamp='1391528975' post='2358182']
That looks to be a great buy. Especially with an Ortofon cartridge, I don't see how the O.P will do any better. Just my 2 pence worth.
[/quote]
The project turntable is a very good buy. My brother has one and it sounds really impressive. Careful though, as once you go down the vinyl route there may be no turning back :)

[quote name='Leonard Smalls' timestamp='1391529831' post='2358197']
You might get a Linn Axis or Basik for the money - I had an Axis many years ago and it's a right musical performer.
Other options are a Systemdek, or a Technics Sp10/1200 if you're lucky!
[/quote]

I used to have the Axis with an Akito arm and K9 cartridge and it sounded fantastic, but I expect you would be lucky to get one for £150 unless you were very lucky , or even a Linn Basik for that matter. The Linn name ( rightly) carries a lot of weight and commands a good used price, usually.

[quote name='Dingus' timestamp='1391528975' post='2358182']
[/quote]

I couldn't agree more. :) If anyone is interested and wants pics etc. then DM me.

i've currently got 2 turntables set up in my system, a thorens td160b with the sme 3009 arm and an ortofon 2m red cartridge, and a pro-ject debut with the stock arm and cartridge, i know that these are from different parts of the price bracket but the pro-ject is lacking something, i can play the same record on both and it just sounds better on the thorens, i'd steer clear of the debut but the higher spec pro-ject decks are worth a look, particularly the one offered above with the carbon arm, these are a huge improvement on the cheap arms on the debut.

watch out for the small print on some ebay auctions, i've got a search set up on my phone for turntables and i consistantly see what i think are real bargains before reading the text and finding that they are not including the arm in the sale (not uncommon with better quality turntables)

keep your eye on the small ads in the local paper and in junk shops, there are the occasional bargain turntables knocking round. i have to admit that the Thorens was free! a friend asked if i wanted a turntable as his dad was going to throw it out, i had no idea what i was going to be presented with bit figured i could throw it out myself if it was junk. he came back from his trip home and presented me with the thorens, it was immaculate, i swapped the cartridge for a new one as it was pretty worn and that was it!

matt