Why become a member? ×

Big Valve Amp through BareFaced

Sean

There are a few BCers who play valve amps through the '69er; myself, Happy Jack, and Bertbass (before he changed to a class D) that I know of.
Of those, the biggest was Bertbass' Mywatt 200. Check out his review:
http://basschat.co.uk/topic/195595-barefaced-69er-no-4/

Also, Mr Foxen plays valve amps through a few different barefaced cabs.

Edited by Roland Rock

[u]EDIT! I was not playing through a Big Baby 2, I was playing through a Big Twin 2![/u]

I put my Matamp GT200 through Alex's [s]BB2[/s] BT2 at last years SE Bash. I was aided and abetted by 51mon who also gave me help with my compression, so all was flowing. I've never had a cab with a tweeter before and Si dialed in just the right amount of top for me. It gave a freedom like a good blow of the nose. The cab feels like it is breathing with nice clear air-ways.

I've heard people say Barefaced are Hi-Fi, but I think they don't colour the sound in any way, if that's Hi-Fi then so be it. So what I was hearing was 100% amp and bass. So if you've got good gear, it sounds f'ing ace. But, you may see why some classic sounds are much a part of the cab as head (take Ampegs' 810 for instance).

I usually run the GT200 with a Matamp 212 with Celestion ferrite drivers. When you get the cab cooking it sounds lovely with a nice thump in the guts. But the Ferrite's are heavy lumps and it feels like as much energy is used moving the magnets as making sound. The BF does not have this lag and the response is quicker. But the 212 adds a colouration that the BF does not.

Don't let anyone kid you that these cabs are flimsy from being light weight, or not loud or something. For larks we got things stupid loud, as in everything turned up full, vol, drive, the lot. And the BF did not miss a beat as the school hall windows were blown out.

I went to the bash specifically wanting to try Jack's 69'er. I A-B'd it with my Mat 212 and couldn't put a fag paper between the two of them.

I came away wanting a BF [s]BB2[/s] BT2

Edited by Billy Apple

[quote name='Billy Apple' timestamp='1390689154' post='2348413']
I put my Matamp GT200 through Alex's BB2 at last years SE Bash. I was aided and abetted by 51mon who also gave me help with my compression, so all was flowing. I've never had a cab with a tweeter before and Si dialed in just the right amount of top for me. It gave a freedom like a good blow of the nose. The cab feels like it is breathing with nice clear air-ways.

I've heard people say Barefaced are Hi-Fi, but I think they don't colour the sound in any way, if that's Hi-Fi then so be it. So what I was hearing was 100% amp and bass. So if you've got good gear, it sounds f'ing ace. But, you may see why some classic sounds are much a part of the cab as head (take Ampegs' 810 for instance).

I usually run the GT200 with a Matamp 212 with Celestion ferrite drivers. When you get the cab cooking it sounds lovely with a nice thump in the guts. But the Ferrite's are heavy lumps and it feels like as much energy is used moving the magnets as making sound. The BF does not have this lag and the response is quicker. But the 212 adds a colouration that the BF does not.

Don't let anyone kid you that these cabs are flimsy from being light weight, or not loud or something. For larks we got things stupid loud, as in everything turned up full, vol, drive, the lot. And the BF did not miss a beat as the school hall windows were blown out.

I went to the bash specifically wanting to try Jack's 69'er. I A-B'd it with my Mat 212 and couldn't put a fag paper between the two of them.

I came away wanting a BF BB2
[/quote]

Interesting stuff, thanks. Are you saying that the 69er adds it's own colour in the same way the 2x12 does?
Have you got the Eminence Delta 12a drivers in the Matamp 2x12?

I also use a Matamp GT200 through a '69er. I've not had chance to a/b it with the Marshall VBC 8x10 yet (Monday is the day).
I knew that it was going to be a good cab from all the reviews I've seen on here. I wasn't prepared for quite how good it is in reality.
Just as good as my 8x10, but a third of the weight.
Dave.

I've got Celestion BL12-200X's in my Matamp cab [url="http://celestion.com/product/39/bl12200x/"]http://celestion.com...ct/39/bl12200x/[/url]

I thought my Matamp 212 and Jacks 69'er sounded pretty similar. I'm not going to say identical because I was in a room full of bass players. But I's didn't warrant the weight advantage as enough as a reason to get one. Where as the BT2 was a very different beast

Edited by Billy Apple

Dont know never tried, my CTM300 seems to upset most speakers that cant go very low, isnt the compact powered by an Eminence 3015HO? I which case the extended low end of a big valver would upset it. I guess the dubster would be a better bet has a LF driver inside, But then it would not be the most versatile cab. I guess the 69er is the best bet as its got LF / HF drivers and a crossover and its designed for this purpose. I think rest of the barefaced range is probably more suited to SS amps. with more power to get the speakers moving.

[quote name='Sean' timestamp='1390677886' post='2348298']
Anyone out there using a big valve monster through a BareFaced? I'd be interested in your reaction to the change, what differences there were, any thoughts related to this.

I've just ordered a Big Twin 2.
[/quote]

I ordered one on Saturday!
I'll race you! :P

[quote name='PURPOLARIS' timestamp='1390852055' post='2350452']
I currently play my AD200B through a Barefaced Super Twelve and it sings. Every note is defined crisp and clear, it handles any setting the amp can throw at it and it's loud enough for any gig I'm ever going to do. In saying that, I am hankering for a 69'er
[/quote]

Do you ever find that your rig is too loud for certain situations?

I play my GT200 through a BF compact. It's very transparent, and I would say Hi Fi, and I find the tube amp tends to mellow out the sensitivity of the speaker a bit more than my Mark VI. No complaints from me. I do have an Ampeg HLF410 that sometimes gets used (and I prefer the sound through the 410), but mainly the BF does all I need and has the convenience factor, which wins every time.

[quote name='Sean' timestamp='1390843932' post='2350238']
I've not heard a peep since placing the order.
[/quote]

Oh, me neither, but don't worry, it seems to be the norm. It certainly was the same way when I bought my BF Compact last year. You'll get an email when the time approaches. The March estimate was just from a couple of emails we exchanged before I decided to order.

[quote name='Sean' timestamp='1390852593' post='2350461']
Do you ever find that your rig is too loud for certain situations?
[/quote]

It's never too loud, I play in a rock band. I test the volumes during setup and set the volume control usually around the ten o'clock mark and then use my Guitar volume control from then onwards for tweaking as the gig progresses.

[quote name='mcnach' timestamp='1390864001' post='2350787']

Oh, me neither, but don't worry, it seems to be the norm. It certainly was the same way when I bought my BF Compact last year. You'll get an email when the time approaches. The March estimate was just from a couple of emails we exchanged before I decided to order.
[/quote]

Acknowledgement received from Alex :-)