Why become a member? ×

Pedalboard essentials

topheteatwo

[quote name='thisnameistaken' timestamp='1390605010' post='2347608']
Nearly!

The touch of octave -2 on the top left is accidental - that's how it was when I took it out of the case, I would've turned it back to zero before using it. :)

The top two are in separate channels of the 2-channel mixer because when I make other silly noises I often mix with an OC-2 to keep some beef going on. The third one is a synth-modded one I bought on here the other day, so I don't really have three OC-2s because that one sounds totally different (and fricking amazing).

I may well do away with one of the parallel OC-2s soon, I don't really use the one on the top-right much. Still I'll probably keep it in case the other one breaks, which it probably won't.

It occurred to me last night that with the -2 octave oscillator in the Octavius Squeezer and the potential for 3 stacked Whammies in the M9 I could maybe drop my notes by a full 14 octaves if I wired them all in series. I don't suppose it would make much audible sound but I may well sh*t myself in the process.
[/quote]

nice

andy

It depends on what you want to sound like. If you play electronica, dubstep or similar, then you'll most likely want a few effects.
Basics for a synth sound are usually octaver, dirt & filter (with an expression pedal or similar) & then add whatever you like to make "Your" sound.
There's no right answer to your question though.

Tuner and a few dirtboxes for stacking options are my essentials.

Loving the Turbo Rat at the moment; I also have an original Guv'nor, a Jackhammer, standard Big Muff and a James Lomenzo as well. Lomenzo is a great 'one pedal' dirt solution because of its EQing options and it's range but sounds a bit sterile.

Never found a compressor I liked (in pedal form at least) and things like delay, octave and synths are non-essentials in my opinion. Great for buggering about with, but wouldn't a keyboard be more useful and less hassle?

Truckstop

[quote name='Truckstop' timestamp='1390611785' post='2347674']
Never found a compressor I liked (in pedal form at least) and things like delay, octave and synths are non-essentials in my opinion. Great for buggering about with, but wouldn't a keyboard be more useful and less hassle?

Truckstop
[/quote]
A synth is a good option & I've considered it, but it's no different to you replacing your bass with one.
Playing elecronica on bass has a very different sound & feel to keys.

Guest FretNoMore

If I were to rank the use of my pedals...

Essential: Tuner (TC Polytune), Compressor (Empress), Rumble filter (sfx Thumpinator)
Near must-have: Wireless, Overdrive, Parametric EQ, DI, Buffer
Spice, not essential: Chorus, Phaser, Octaver, Envelope filter, Delay, Reverb
Just for fun: Wah, Tremolo

It really does depend on what your needs are. If you only use a clean bass tone then you won't need any tone or colouration pedals. The compressor debate is down to everyone's personal taste just as much as any other pedals would be - and let's not forget that you can set a compressor in many different ways to achieve different effects, tonally or otherwise.

Personally, a good compressor is something that I would never be without. I have a Boss CS-3 kitted up with the Monte Allums Opto-Plus mod and it is always on to keep the bass sound focused and audible in the mix, without squeezing the life out of my tone and dynamics. It can be a fine line but it's so satisfying to be able to hear every note precisely and not just be lost in a bellowing rumble. :D