Why become a member? ×

Geezer Butler EMG PJ set

dave_bass5

Sorry if his has already been discussed, i dont come on here much these days.

Ive just noticed these are due out in a couple of months.

I was looking to change the jazz pup in my PJ (again) and was going ot go for the usual options but im going to hold out for this set now.

[media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DcKRho-h2_c[/media]

[url="http://www.emgpickups.com/gzr-pj.html#info"]http://www.emgpickups.com/gzr-pj.html#info[/url]

Edited by dave_bass5

I have a bit of a rule where I'm sticking to Seymour Duncan pick ups in ALL my guitars and basses (2 P's loaded with SPB-1s/4s and a Tobias loaded with STC-2P and SSB-5s) but I'm seriously considering putting a Geezer Butler set in a future bass as they sound mental! The tone he's getting from those is phenomenal. I saw Sabbath on the UK tour they just completed and his tone absolutely blew me away.

I'm not surprised he's so pleased with this new set. It's a good year for him, new Lakland signature bass, EMG signaute p-ups and from what i've heard, a signature Hartke 412 cabinet coming out which he's been using prototypes of on the Black Sabbath tour.

[quote name='mep' timestamp='1390651026' post='2347890']
Bollox. Just fitted some active PJ EMG's to my Charvel 2B. We already do paranoid and are working on War Pigs.
[/quote]

I wouldnt worry too much, im sure most of that tone in the video is coming from his playing and rig.
After all, he hasnt always used them.

On the subject of EMG's i dont think ive ever owned a proper one, but I have had quite a few basses with thier Select pups in that i really liked. In fact my headless bass has two Select humbuckers in it and i love the tone from that.

[quote name='dave_bass5' timestamp='1390654548' post='2347951']
I wouldnt worry too much, im sure most of that tone in the video is coming from his playing and rig.

On the subject of EMG's i dont think ive ever owned a proper one, but I have had quite a few basses with thier Select pups in that i really liked. In fact my headless bass has two Select humbuckers in it and i love the tone from that.
[/quote]

He did lose his "Geezer" tone for a few years though (I'd imagine ever since he's been a Lakky boy) ) and these pups seem to have brought it back for him. Shame he (probably) didn't use them on the last album coz his tone on that was utter pish.

Those Selects are among the best that EMG do - articulate and loud. Don't tell everyone though or they'll be the next big thing to be hyped out of reality. :D

[quote name='dannybuoy' timestamp='1390669589' post='2348176']
What?! I thought the bass tones on 13 sounded great!
[/quote]

Horses for courses. I thought it sounded very "generic metal" in places and strangely clacky in others (Tony nailed it on 13 though). Having said that I only listened to the album right the way through twice - partly because of the hipster press (and hipsters) endlessly espousing a return to the "old" Sabbath and partly out of respect to Bill. I'm old school Sabbath (only listen to original line up era) and it broke my heart that I couldn't get with the album the way they said I should - the auto-tune was a right turn off for starters. I've been a Sab fan since the late 70s and it's Gezz's early tone that I reeeeeally dig and emulate (he was my only credit (outside my family) on our last album :D ).
This pup seems to connect with that tone.

[quote name='Ou7shined' timestamp='1390668933' post='2348163']
He did lose his "Geezer" tone for a few years though (I'd imagine ever since he's been a Lakky boy) ) and these pups seem to have brought it back for him. Shame he (probably) didn't use them on the last album coz his tone on that was utter pish.

Those Selects are among the best that EMG do - articulate and loud. Don't tell everyone though or they'll be the next big thing to be hyped out of reality. :D
[/quote]

Well the Lakland does have EMG's in them so maybe its a bit closer to the real thing that it used to be. Im not sure if there were stock when the bass was first released.

You dont hear much about Selects these days. Im not sure why though. I guess they are budget versions of more expensive pups and get the same reaction as Squier basses.
I tend to associate them with a modern, hi fi tone. i guess that comes form me using them back in the 80s in at least two white headless basses lol. Ive never really considered getting them since i got back in to playing.

[quote name='dave_bass5' timestamp='1390654548' post='2347951']

[/quote]

Yeah, I know what you mean. It would of been good to have had some more choice when deciding what to purchase. I have gigged a couple of times with my new EMG PJ pups and they do sound great.

Sounding great is what its all about at the end of the day.

I must admit im not over the moon with how my Fralin sounds, even though i know most people love this pup. I think im definitely going to change pups in my PJ again, but i might as well wait now until the GBZ set are out.

• 3 months later...

My PJ set just arrived from the USA. Ill try and install them tonight but first impressions are, the packaging is very good, and they look very classy.
The instructions seem very clear and easy to follow and its an all solder-less connection, and everything is included.
Ive got a new PG for the bass, so planing on mounting as much as i can on that before starting work on the bass itself. I'd say the hardest part will be getting all the old bits out.

All in they cost me £106, inc customs duty etc.

I can see a Fralin going to a new home soon if things work out.

Edited by dave_bass5

• 2 weeks later...

[quote name='dave_bass5' timestamp='1399471150' post='2444546']
My PJ set just arrived from the USA. Ill try and install them tonight but first impressions are, the packaging is very good, and they look very classy.
The instructions seem very clear and easy to follow and its an all solder-less connection, and everything is included.
Ive got a new PG for the bass, so planing on mounting as much as i can on that before starting work on the bass itself. I'd say the hardest part will be getting all the old bits out.

All in they cost me £106, inc customs duty etc.

I can see a Fralin going to a new home soon if things work out.
[/quote]

How are you finding them so far?

Anyone know if these are on sale from a UK distributor yet? Keeping an eye out but haven't seen any.

I really like them.
The P has a bit less low end mud than my Fralin, so things sound clearer and with a bit more growl. This really came in handy at a gig recently where we were in a very large room with a large stage. I'm not sure how the Fralin would have worked, but having played some really boomy gigs recently the GZR juzt seem to have a bit more openness to it.
The bridge pup is nice. It's a bit weaker than the Fender Super 55 it's replaced, but not quite as brash, so blends in better with the neck pup. It's dead silent which is good.

Not sure about uk suppliers but Thomanns should have them in on 25th may. Price is around £110 IIR. It's on their website.

They do sound good, and although I wasn't sure what they would sound like in my bass, I had heard sound clips comparing them to pups I am familiar with and felt it was worth a shot.
As much as I do like Geezer I wasn't looking to get his tone, but they definitely suit my playing.
I know these are just passive pups but Im surprised at how cheap they are.

• 3 weeks later...