Why become a member? ×

Which Mustang?

Twincam

The pawn shop or the 64 reissue???.
I'm going to order next week. And I'm still debating the merits of both.
I think I'm leaning towards the pawn shop due to the finger board radius.
I think I could argue for and against on every other aspect.
The reissue are Japan made I believe and the pawn shop is made somewhere else Mexico?.
So please help me decide.
Or as an after thought the squier version would no doubt be acceptable for my needs.

[quote name='Twincam' timestamp='1390308987' post='2343788']
The pawn shop or the 64 reissue???.
I'm going to order next week. And I'm still debating the merits of both.
I think I'm leaning towards the pawn shop due to the finger board radius.
I think I could argue for and against on every other aspect.
The reissue are Japan made I believe and the pawn shop is made somewhere else Mexico?.
So please help me decide.
Or as an after thought the squier version would no doubt be acceptable for my needs.
[/quote]

You are correct about where they are made. After I got my Pawn Shop Mustang, I tried out a re-issue that I came across in a shop. I don't think I'd have been disappointed had I got that one instead, but the mahoosive humbucker swings it for me. I must say I hadn't noticed the difference in fretboard radius.

If you get the Pawn Shop version, you may want to replace the strings - the ones it comes with are horribly rough.

Another option, maybe, is to make one up. I bought a rather scruffy 70s Musicmaster extremely cheaply then, courtesy of The Bass Doc, had fitted a Precision pup (needed a little bit of routing), new scratchplate and electrics (from KiOgon) - transformed it from a rather weedy thing to something unique that sounds rather nice. All in it was still a good deal cheaper than a new Mustang.

[quote name='Si600' timestamp='1390310710' post='2343833']
'68 GT, in green, like the one in Bullitt :)
[/quote]
I'd go with 65' Fastback with Cammer S plant in dark graphite blue w/ white stripes, but yours is nice as well ;)

[quote name='Immo' timestamp='1390315963' post='2343934']
I'd go with 65' Fastback with Cammer S plant in dark graphite blue w/ white stripes, but yours is nice as well ;)
[/quote]

Oooh, I like the gills behind the door on that :)

Has to be the 68-69 Boss edition! B)

Seriously though, of the two, I'd be more tempted by the Pawn Shop version, having owned the 64RI. I loved the look and feel of it (fiesta red) and it was nice and light. Beautiful neck and fretboard. What let it down for me was the sound. It didn't have the same thump I heard in my head, no matter what i did with it (raising pickups, different strings etc). Don't get me wrong, it was a great bass and i was hesitant about selling it, but it wasn't getting the use it deserved so it went to a good home (on here).
I tried the PS version recently and loved the sound of the 'huge motherbucker' - proper vintage sounds on tap there.

Mind you, Paul S. has the right idea - get a cheap old Musicmaster and mod it out - vintage look and feel and still cheaper than either Mustang new (if you get the right one) - you can make your own 'Pawn Shop' model - that's what Fender did!!! :)

[quote name='basshead56' timestamp='1390335744' post='2344258']
Mind you, Paul S. has the right idea - get a cheap old Musicmaster and mod it out - vintage look and feel and still cheaper than either Mustang new (if you get the right one) - you can make your own 'Pawn Shop' model - that's what Fender did!!! :)
[/quote]
Musicmaster basses have shot up in price in the last couple of years. Even a tatty one will be £300+ and a decent one anything over £400.

[quote name='BetaFunk' timestamp='1390479517' post='2345816']
Musicmaster basses have shot up in price in the last couple of years. Even a tatty one will be £300+ and a decent one anything over £400.
[/quote]
Bass Direct have one up for £650, and I saw another one listed for over £800 by an online seller (not eBay).

[size=3][b]
[url="http://basschat.co.uk/index.php?app=forums&module=forums&section=findpost&pid=2345816"][/url]BetaFunk, on 23 January 2014 - 12:18 PM, said:[/b][/size][size=3]

Musicmaster basses have shot up in price in the last couple of years. Even a tatty one will be £300+ and a decent one anything over £400.[/size]

[quote name='JapanAxe' timestamp='1390500728' post='2346139']
Bass Direct have one up for £650, and I saw another one listed for over £800 by an online seller (not eBay).
[/quote]
Yes i've seen them with an asking price of nearly £1,000 but i doubt any sell at that price. Most seem to go between £370 to £450 at the moment but i've seen a couple in exceptional condition go for more. They are far too expensive now to buy and modify and still be cheaper than most new Mustangs. The days of the cheap Musicmaster bass is well and truly over.

[quote name='JapanAxe' timestamp='1390343289' post='2344421']

OK but now you have to choose the finish!
[/quote]

Going with the white one. Think it's the better colour scheme also white basses seem to hide dust and fingerprints better I think. And I'm a bit ocd for clean things.
Can't wait till Monday when I order so excited!. Been a long time since I've bought something really nice for myself.
Anyone have good ideas on what case to buy?

[quote name='Twincam' timestamp='1390594331' post='2347466']
Anyone have good ideas on what case to buy?
[/quote]

It comes with a gig bag to fit, which is just a tiny bit longer than a standard guitar gig bag. I haven't tried mine in any of my guitar hard cases yet, but will report back once i have.