Why become a member? ×

Digital chromatic tuners

Hey all sorry for not posting for a while (finishing my music course), I was wondering if anyone on the forum has used one? (i'm sure someone has : :) ) I was curious what I should get because i'm a noob when it comes to equipment.
I was looking at this on the e of the bay and thought it looked like it would do the job for the price.

[url="http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/JMT-Clip-On-Tuner-and-Metronome-for-Guitar-Violin-Bass_W0QQitemZ330247510321QQihZ014QQcategoryZ22672QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem"]http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/JMT-Clip-On-Tuner-an...1QQcmdZViewItem[/url]

And btw how do these things work? Can they pick up the sound if the bass if the sounds cut like the chromatic pedal tuners?
Any help would be appreciated
Thanks ya'll

I have one & it works very well. It doesn't track so well if there's a lot of ambient noise going on, but usually works fine. Its nice to leave clipped onto the NS upright -if anyone asks I tell them its a speedometer to keep the drummer in check. :)

Mine has modes for Bass, Guitar, violin & a chromatic mode which is perfect for tuning ukuleles and the B on 5 string basses.

I tend to use a planet waves SOS tuner for gigs as it isn't affected by ambient noise/rumbles, but I carry the clip-on as a spare.

Generally, clip-on tuners like this use a small transducer to detect pitch through vibrations, so should be unaffected by ambient noise - this looks very similar to a number of tuners doing the rounds at the moment. Good value, and i've found quite a few of them able to tune a low B as well. Some even have a standard 'microphone' mode built-in, so you're getting the best of both worlds....

[quote name='Jean-Luc Pickguard' post='231895' date='Jul 3 2008, 12:13 PM']I have one & it works very well. It doesn't track so well if there's a lot of ambient noise going on, but usually works fine. Its nice to leave clipped onto the NS upright -if anyone asks I tell them its a speedometer to keep the drummer in check. :)

Mine has modes for Bass, Guitar, violin & a chromatic mode which is perfect for tuning ukuleles and the B on 5 string basses.

I tend to use a planet waves SOS tuner for gigs as it isn't affected by ambient noise/rumbles, but I carry the clip-on as a spare.[/quote]

#1 for the planet waves tuner. make sure you get the red one for bass.

[quote name='El_JimBob' post='232061' date='Jul 3 2008, 03:18 PM']Generally, clip-on tuners like this use a small transducer to detect pitch through vibrations, so should be unaffected by ambient noise[/quote]
It picks up the vibrations if there's a lot of loud bass going on in the ambient noise, so doesn't track as well.

If you have a tuner already, you might want to also consider something like this. Just plug into your existing tuner and clip the mic to your bass headstock.
(certainly the cheapest solution!):

[url="http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/GUITAR-CONTACT-TUNER-MIC-BONUS-Harrier-Music_W0QQitemZ250191800450QQcmdZViewItem?_trksid=p3286.m20.l1116"]http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/GUITAR-CONTACT-TUNER...p3286.m20.l1116[/url]

[quote name='Jean-Luc Pickguard' post='232330' date='Jul 3 2008, 10:47 PM']It picks up the vibrations if there's a lot of loud bass going on in the ambient noise, so doesn't track as well.[/quote]
Ah yes, i see what you mean now, sorry.... you must be in a real loud band for that to happen tho :)

[quote name='El_JimBob' post='232939' date='Jul 4 2008, 10:42 PM']Ah yes, i see what you mean now, sorry.... you must be in a real loud band for that to happen tho :)[/quote]
Not really, but if there's dance music blaring out or a support band playing ordrummer soundchecking you're usually right next to the PA. Maybe other models are beter in this respect than mine, but its just an observation. Its usually OK especially for a quick tune-up between songs though as we have a "no-noodling" between songs rule.

[quote name='stingrayfan' post='233016' date='Jul 5 2008, 08:13 AM']If it's for home use, it'll be fine. Not sure you'd want to be faffing about with it in a gig situation, mind. It's much easier to hit a pedal, mute your bass, tune it, then hit the pedal and start playing. Esp when it's dark.[/quote]
I find the Planet Waves SOS is much quicker to use & more convenient than either type- I also have a mute switch on the jack for quickly silencing the bass (on a planet waves cable).

A bass playing friend of mine had one of those clip on tuners and he *didn't* rate it much. Said that he had to tune his E string at the 12th fret because of poor tracking at low frequencies.

It might not be as cool as a rack tuner/clip-on/stomp-box, but I LOVE my Korg CA30 which has served me for more years than I can remember. If it broke, i'd go straight out and buy another. The tracking and frequency range is so good I've used it to set the intonation on all my basses. Highly recommended and cheap as chips!

Edited by peted

I've got one of the Fender floor pedal type units and its great. Seems very tough , with a big bright unambiguous display, which I can even read when stood up, even without my glasses. Mutes the output while tuning, or not, according to which socket you use. Seems to tune down to a B with no problem.

Only problems:

You actually have to stamp on it quite hard to turn it on/off.
If you leave it on and with the input connected it sits and eats batteries, buts thats really down to operator error.

Also have a Korg AT-12 analogue unit with a real moving needle. Also excellent, and probably a better tuner, will generate a pitch and allows none concert pitch tuning etc, but not really up to stage use.

Edited by Clive Thorne

i've got a fender one, but it's not a pedal. sits on the floor after a little switch box i made, momentary switch that only changes when i step on it, that way i never accidentally mute myself. mutes the amp signal when bypassed to tuner, and the tuner has got a huge display which is nice and easy to read :)

never had a problem with it, works perfect every time and is very accurate, at least as far as i can tell. I've also got a Korg AT-12, and the fender seems just as accurate, although perhaps not as precise only having 3 led's to light instead of a needle. still, i really like this setup.

I've had a korg DT10 chromatic tuner pedal for a week or so now and it seems pretty good, pretty accurate, used it on the stage on friday with no problems, bit hesitant on the bass frequencies but i managed to tune my 4 string down to drop C and my 5 down to A standard so it's all good. I also dropped a full pint of coke on it and it's still fine :) Nice and easy to use, very robust and nice and easy to see.

Cost me £60 and for that money i'd expect no less than the best. I've had a little hand held korg GA-30 tuner that i got free for quite a while ago and it's never let me down so i'm pretty confident with this pedal tuner.

Edited by budget bassist