Why become a member? ×

Power Amp question

Roland Rock

Drive it with a Tech-21 VT Bass... I just happen to have one for sale! :D

Or drive it with a Zoom B3 - there's a whole thread on TB about using one with a Crown power amp.
[url="http://www.talkbass.com/forum/f36/zoom-b3-preamp-936505/"]http://www.talkbass....-preamp-936505/[/url]

I used a B3 with a Crown and if you're careful you can get some amazing results.
Also used a VT Bass with a Crown and got some great results, too. Ampeg rig, anyone?

Edited by discreet

[quote name='ahpook' timestamp='1390147722' post='2341927']
there's an interesting article on input/output levels and pre- & power amps at [url="http://www.ovnilab.com/articles/preamp.shtml"]ovnilab[/url]
[/quote]

Thanks for that, a very interesting read. Unfortunately, I can't find any info on the output of the preamp of the Glockenklang :-(
The head has a 1/4" Preamp Out socket as well as a balanced DI with level control. I'm thinking it should be OK

[quote name='Roland Rock' timestamp='1390163521' post='2342238']
Thanks for that, a very interesting read. Unfortunately, I can't find any info on the output of the preamp of the Glockenklang :-(
The head has a 1/4" Preamp Out socket as well as a balanced DI with level control. I'm thinking it should be OK
[/quote]

It's quite tough to get concrete figures for the outputs for musical gear sometimes ! I have two Ampeg preamps and even their output levels are different, so even the manufacturers seem confused.

If antone is interested, here's the response from Glockenklang:

[color=#000000][font=monospace][size=3]Hi Chris,[/size][/font][/color]

[color=#000000][font=monospace][size=3]the output level of the pre amp out is 1 V, when the power amp starts[/size][/font][/color]
[color=#000000][font=monospace][size=3]clipping.[/size][/font][/color]
[color=#000000][font=monospace][size=3]If you only use the extern power amp, it is no problem, because the pre amp[/size][/font][/color]
[color=#000000][font=monospace][size=3]out is able to send up to 5 V.[/size][/font][/color]

[color=#000000][font=monospace][size=3]Best regards,[/size][/font][/color]

[color=#000000][font=monospace][size=3]Udo Klempt-Gießing[/size][/font][/color]

Kudos to Udo, who answered my e-mails promptly and thoroughly

Edited by Roland Rock

[quote name='0175westwood29' timestamp='1390259199' post='2343390']
what are you actually doing other than killing people if they get to close?

andy
[/quote]

:lol:[size=4] It won't be a regular rig. I have two separate rigs, one super clean, and one valve old-school, each with a different 4 ohm cab. I had the opportunity to swap a spare head for the Crown power amp, so I thought why not go for a Power Rangers setup - each rig mighty in its own right, and you can put them all together if you want to destroy a city [/size] :crazy:[size=4] [/size]

I may have misundertood your question but from what i read i believe that you wont be able to run two 4Ohm cabs from your XTI in the way you're thinking about doing it!

Your poweramp only has two operation modes (from what i read on the manual) Stereo and Mono/Bridge.

- In Stereo mode you connect one signal to each channel and get up to 800W@4Ohm or 1000W@2Ohm on each channel. Since you only have a single input feed (signal from your preamp) you'll only be able to use one input from he amp so the only way to hook up two 4Ohm cabs is to hook them (in paralel) to the same channel thus obtaining a max output of 1000W with a 2Ohm load. If you try to hook a cab to each output one of them will not work.

- In Mono/Bridge mode you have one input going on the amp and output from both channels (i won't explain how bridge mode works to keep it simple for now) but the minimum load that the amp will take is 4Ohms so you'll only be able to hook up one of your cabs, IF YOU CONNECT BOTH CABS IN BRIDGE YOUR AMP MAY BURN!!!

There is a simpler way to do what you're looking for but from the manual your amp doesn't seem to be able to do it: running the amp in Mono/Parallel mode would solve your problem and you could work with one input and two outputs on the amp and still use two 4ohm cabs. Unfortunetly the manual doesn't say the amp is capable of doing it.

Cheers

Edited by Ghost_Bass

[quote name='Ghost_Bass' timestamp='1390300179' post='2343645']
I may have misundertood your question but from what i read i believe that you wont be able to run two 4Ohm cabs from your XTI in the way you're thinking about doing it!

- In Stereo mode you connect one signal to each channel and get up to 800W@4Ohm or 1000W@2Ohm on each channel. Since you only have a single input feed (signal from your preamp) you'll only be able to use one input from he amp so the only way to hook up two 4Ohm cabs is to hook them (in paralel) to the same channel thus obtaining a max output of 1000W with a 2Ohm load. If you try to hook a cab to each output one of them will not work.

[/quote]

The way I read the manual, I thought I could use this mode:

• INPUT Y (Ch. 1 input signal goes to Ch. 1 and Ch. 2
output. Ch. 2 input signal is ignored.)

I've e-mailed Crown to confirm. Thanks for the heads up

Edited by Roland Rock

[quote name='Roland Rock' timestamp='1390301378' post='2343664']

[/quote]

I'll check that again on the manual

[quote name='Roland Rock' timestamp='1390301378' post='2343664']

[/quote]

Yep, found it on the manual, it looks like this is the Parallel/Mono mode i talked about on my first post so this might work with two 4Ohm cabs but it doesn't hurt to check with Crown (Peavey) first ;)

[quote name='Ghost_Bass' timestamp='1390303007' post='2343693']
Yep, found it on the manual, it looks like this is the Parallel/Mono mode i talked about on my first post so this might work with two 4Ohm cabs but it doesn't hurt to check with Crown (Peavey) first ;)
[/quote]

Yup, thanks. Here's hoping there's no nasty surprises in the response

Edit - Crown have conformed that all is well with my evil plan to put 800w into each 4ohm cab with a single input.

Anyone else want to throw a potential spanner in the works? :lol:

Edited by Roland Rock