Why become a member? ×

Thomann selling Harley Benton basses as 'Decoration only'

Annoying Twit

Guitar, but when did this go up?

[url="https://m.thomann.de/gb/harley_benton_bigtone_vintage_orange_deko.htm?o=10&ref=mal_a_10&search=1449229092"]https://m.thomann.de...arch=1449229092[/url] Hmmm.... £80 is a lot for a deko.

Left-handed p-bass. [url="https://m.thomann.de/gb/harley_benton_pb_20bk_lh_standard_se_deko.htm?o=7&ref=mal_a_7&search=1449229092"]https://m.thomann.de...arch=1449229092[/url]

@ben4343. The vintage strats turn up now and then. But, you have to be very quick to get one of them.

This batch of dekos shows how important it is to be checking the mobile site. This is what my not-yet GUI program is producing as output:

[font=Menlo][size=2]Debugging Tracker[/size][/font]
[font=Menlo][size=2]Harley Benton CustomLine CLR-TriCone Deko mobile=yes main=yes[/size][/font]
[font=Menlo][size=2]Harley Benton B-30BK-LH Deko mobile=yes main=yes[/size][/font]
[font=Menlo][size=2]Warwick Mini Rock Thumb Bass 4 mobile=yes main=yes[/size][/font]
[font=Menlo][size=2]Harley Benton BJ-65Pro 6 String Banj Deko mobile=yes main=yes[/size][/font]
[font=Menlo][size=2]Harley Benton JB-75MN Black Vintage Deko mobile=yes main=no[/size][/font]
[font=Menlo][size=2]Harley Benton PB-20BK LH Standard Se Deko mobile=yes main=no[/size][/font]
[font=Menlo][size=2]Harley Benton CG300CE NT Deko mobile=yes main=no[/size][/font]

@Andytre - maple boarded black jazz bass is still there, he says with an evil glint in his eye.

Edited by Annoying Twit

[quote name='Jonesy' timestamp='1449232593' post='2921776']
I hopefully have a Jazz on the way!

Now to keep an eye out for the 75 jazz with the rosewood board.........I want that neck!
[/quote]

I so want to see high-resolution pics of the bass. Good luck for the 'right' email.

Edited by Annoying Twit

[quote name='Annoying Twit' timestamp='1449233017' post='2921785']
I so want to see high-resolution pics of the bass. Good luck for the 'right' email.
[/quote]

Just got my confirmation email!

I'll be sure to take some pics, I have a PJ HTR decko in the post as well so as soon as everything is unboxed I'll get snapping. Gawd, this decko sale thing really isn't healthy for my relationship or GAS!

The Lh progressive turned up perfect apart from the first and second frets are seriously high no problems there for me to fix. Has a nice sound a little too scooped maybe for me and the neck is very thick! But a really nice bass.

But I've notice it has a thin strip of foil along the individual bridge pieces lol looks stupid this is I assume for earthing. I'm thinking of removing it. What will happen? Buzzing maybe I can always put it back. Hopefully won't be an issue. Honestly tin foil at the bridge mind you fender did have the copper strip lol.

[quote name='Annoying Twit' timestamp='1449298842' post='2922307']
I had a look at the photos of progressive basses on Thomann's site, and I can't see any foil there. Perhaps this is what made yours a deko. If the foil is there for the purposes of earthing, surely you coulld replace it with something that looks less stupid.
[/quote]

Yeah I could not see foil either but it's there I will take a pic really ruins the bass. Gonna remove it see what happens I've had basses with no bridge earth that were fine so hope this one is. It's not for me anyhow but want it right.

If it was my deko, I must admit that I'd be thinking of re-doing the earthing by adding a wire. If it's a black bass and you add a black wire, wouldn't it be near-undetectable even if you didn't route it underneath?

EDIT: I now have GUI tracking of dekos again. (see attachment)

Edited by Annoying Twit

[quote name='Twincam' timestamp='1449297819' post='2922305']
But I've notice it has a thin strip of foil along the individual bridge pieces lol looks stupid this is I assume for earthing. I'm thinking of removing it. What will happen? Buzzing maybe I can always put it back. Hopefully won't be an issue. Honestly tin foil at the bridge mind you fender did have the copper strip lol.
[/quote]

The bridge is four individual parts, which gets earthed by the foil strip. The bridge is stupidly difficult to adjust the intonation, so I replaced mine with a cheap Gotoh copy. You might get away without an earth, the pups are humbuckers, so presumably that would help?

Anyone want some spare prog 4 bridge parts? (free!)

Edited by pfretrock

[quote name='pfretrock' timestamp='1449318509' post='2922531']

The bridge is four individual parts, which gets earthed by the foil strip. The bridge is stupidly difficult to adjust the intonation, so I replaced mine with a cheap Gotoh copy. You might get away without an earth, the pups are humbuckers, so presumably that would help?

Anyone want some spare prog 4 bridge parts? (free!)
[/quote]

I've used the same bridges on peaveys and ibanez models found them ok, normally grounded from below and use the string through.

[quote name='Annoying Twit' timestamp='1449416813' post='2923335']
Unusual. I'm wondering if your instrument might be a return. That someone has fiddled with before returning. There's no sign of other instruments having the foil. Though. perhaps other owners of HB Prog. basses can comment.
[/quote]
Prog 4: The four bridge parts are electrically isolated. The foil is there to earth the four individual bridges. .A ground wire connects the foil to the bass ground under the G bridge.

[quote name='pfretrock' timestamp='1449421489' post='2923387']
Prog 4: The four bridge parts are electrically isolated. The foil is there to earth the four individual bridges. .A ground wire connects the foil to the bass ground under the G bridge.
[/quote]

So yours has the foil too?

Edit: Pinweasel's post crossed mine in the ether. I see that it's standard. You'd think they'd have a better way of electrically connecting them than a visible piece of foil.

Edited by Annoying Twit

Hi new guy here. I'm the fellow who bought the lefty P-Bass. This thread was instrumental in convincing me it was worth taking a punt on a deko so thanks for that folks!

I already have a few Harley Benton guitars and I also recently received and returned a JB-75 (new stock)..so waiting on the replacement for that too (I was in two minds about returning it as it was so nice but it had a finish blemish and a high fret and they weren't inclined to give me a few bob credit so back it went).

[quote name='Annoying Twit' timestamp='1449424134' post='2923421']
So yours has the foil too?
[/quote]

I changed the bridge... Foil is still under the one piece replacement bridge to ground it.

[url="http://basschat.co.uk/topic/227421-thomann-selling-harley-benton-basses-as-decoration-only/page__view__findpost__p__2849693"]http://basschat.co.u...ost__p__2849693[/url]

[quote name='pfretrock' timestamp='1449425882' post='2923433']
I changed the bridge... Foil is still under the one piece replacement bridge to ground it.

[url="http://basschat.co.uk/topic/227421-thomann-selling-harley-benton-basses-as-decoration-only/page__view__findpost__p__2849693"]http://basschat.co.u...ost__p__2849693[/url]
[/quote]

IMHO this is what dekos are for. Fiddling around with, there being few price consequences.

I considered putting a new bridge on my PJ HTR 5, but I'm not sure it would make much difference. I'm looking into trying a Wilkinson Alnico pickup, but a 5 string JP set will cost as much as the bass. The standard pickups seem weak.

[quote name='Annoying Twit' timestamp='1449427652' post='2923456']
I considered putting a new bridge on my PJ HTR 5, but I'm not sure it would make much difference. I'm looking into trying a Wilkinson Alnico pickup, but a 5 string JP set will cost as much as the bass. The standard pickups seem weak.
[/quote]

I've gone through the same thoughts as you about the PJ5.
I may chuck in new pickups some time next year.

[quote name='bartelby' timestamp='1449429356' post='2923473']
I've gone through the same thoughts as you about the PJ5.
I may chuck in new pickups some time next year.
[/quote]

I think the standard HB pickups are generally weak. I am going to change the pick up in my standard series P. Sounds nice enough but just needs a bit more ooomph! Entwistle PBX or PBXN will do the job fine. Put Entwistles in my standard J as well.

[quote name='RickyV' timestamp='1449432131' post='2923498']
I think the standard HB pickups are generally weak. I am going to change the pick up in my standard series P. Sounds nice enough but just needs a bit more ooomph! Entwistle PBX or PBXN will do the job fine. Put Entwistles in my standard J as well.
[/quote]

I've done a search, but it appears that Entwistle P and J pickups are only available for four string basses, not five string basses