Why become a member? ×

Stoopid newbie question

martthebass

Despite playing for longer than I care to remember I've always used combos or single cab solutions. I'm looking at going for a two 12" cab solution running from from MB LM3. My stoopid question is; with a single speakon output and cabs with a single speak on input how do I connect up the 2 cabs for a 4 ohm load?

[quote name='martthebass' timestamp='1389982341' post='2340290']...how do I connect up the 2 cabs for a 4 ohm load?[/quote]

With a 'splitter box', ie: a box with one speakon for connecting to the amp, and two speakons for connecting the two cabs (assuming 8 ohms each...). The speakons would be connected inside the box in parallel. OBBM, a recommended BCer, has been known to build such boxes, if you can't do it yourself. You'll need three speakon cables.

(...[i]'taint any more stoopid than numerous other questions here, many from me..![/i] :blush: )

Edited by Dad3353

Thanks for the answers guys.

Cabs will be a pair of NY121s. Not sure if there are two inputs on the back of these....there was on my old 151HR. If there are 2 then ill daisy chain if not then different leads. I was concerned about using standard jack speaker leads, I thought it was necessary to use speakons with 500W output amps?

[quote name='martthebass' timestamp='1390139175' post='2341791']
Thanks for the answers guys.

Cabs will be a pair of NY121s. Not sure if there are two inputs on the back of these....there was on my old 151HR. If there are 2 then ill daisy chain if not then different leads. I was concerned about using standard jack speaker leads, I thought it was necessary to use speakons with 500W output amps?
[/quote]

good quality jack to jack leads will be fine, or you can always get a speakon to jack lead, i have one aswell as a standard speakon lead as some cabs we use on gigs like old marshalls or ampegs have a jack input.

andy

The Markbass combos use the jack socket to connect to the head & I use a jack to jack lead to connect another cab (the speakon on the LM head is a dual speakon/jack socket.
Before speakons came to be, all cabs & PA systems used 1/4" jacks.