Why become a member? ×

Little Bastard is just too little

Thurbs

Despite what is evidently a lot of variation in the efficiency of amps and cabs, I think a bit of common sense has to be used with wattage ratings. Whilst in [i]some [/i]situations and [i]some [/i]styles of music 30w might be enough, you only have to look at what most players are using in most situations to know that it [i]probably[/i] won't be. I'm not for one second suggesting that the folks who have gigged with 30w are not getting great tone and volume for their needs, and I'm sure that they, their bands and their punters are very happy with that tone and volume, simply that the folks who can gig successfully with 30w are in the minority in terms of the types of music and venues they're playing.

[quote name='Grissle' timestamp='1390034591' post='2340650']
Well there you go then! 2x12 for small gigs, Big one for medium gigs and the great built in DI for Big gigs.
[/quote]

Yep totally with you there - and the more efficient those speakers are, the better.

And a belated welcome to a US based bassist :)

It really depend on personal taste in terms of tone and EQ. My band don't like deep low end tone on the bass and i prefer to hear myself better so lots of mid on my tone in band situation, so the LB30 is enough to do what my band needs.

When I play in church i need the very deep low end tone but church music won't allow the band to play too loud so again the LB30 can handy that sort of gig easily.

It all depend on the band, how loud your band play and what sort of tone you going for.

Edited by badboy1984

[quote name='RandomBass' timestamp='1390035782' post='2340661']

Yep totally with you there - and the more efficient those speakers are, the better.

And a belated welcome to a US based bassist :)
[/quote]

My Gran was British and My Mother is Canadian, so I do have a bit of a connection.😏

[quote name='Beedster' timestamp='1390035203' post='2340654']
Despite what is evidently a lot of variation in the efficiency of amps and cabs, I think a bit of common sense has to be used with wattage ratings. Whilst in [i]some [/i]situations and [i]some [/i]styles of music 30w might be enough, you only have to look at what most players are using in most situations to know that it [i]probably[/i] won't be. I'm not for one second suggesting that the folks who have gigged with 30w are not getting great tone and volume for their needs, and I'm sure that they, their bands and their punters are very happy with that tone and volume, simply that the folks who can gig successfully with 30w are in the minority in terms of the types of music and venues they're playing.
[/quote]

I once played an outdoor gig with a 30W Gorilla bass amp.
I was DI'd, of course, and I could not really hear myself on stage :lol:
It was an interesting gig... which turned annoying when the police arrived and the "organisers" asked [b]me[/b] to turn down my amp because I was too loud :rolleyes: :D
True story!!! :yarr:

I used for a couple of decades a Fender Bassman 50w Export (valve amp...) with its matching 2x15 cab. A Pop/rock 'covers' repertoire, a decent drummer and 2 half-stack guitarists. No problem keeping up in moderate pub/club settings, and OK still for playing outside for street concerts. Not overpowering, but certainly not 'tame'. Clash..? The Wall..? AC/DC..? Yep. With our Hiwatt now, the volume has not increased, but the tone is whistle-clean, with tons to spare.

• 8 years later...

Zombie post!

This was my gig rig recently on a small stage, in a modest pub. We are a covers band.  My guitarists both use 20W amps with 12" speakers, and the drummer is not loud.  The little bastard was able to keep up without going through the PA but there was not much left over.  So yes, it can be done with efficient speakers in the right setting. 

I love the LB for recording and solo practice. 

20221224_124816.jpg

• Like 4

I played gigs with the LB30 and my barefaced 210. small gigs where the guitarists were only using those tiny orange things and the drummer played lightly and it was Just loud enough , sounded great to my ears but I’m realistic. It’s only a 30w amp no matter how those watts are made.

I don’t think they intended the LB30 to be a giggling amp. I just really like the tone from it at home , no annoying fan sounds. It just has a lovely tone built into it . I’m sure it would sound great in a studio.

One unintended bonus with this amp is that it works very well with guitar as a “platform” amp, ie it doesn’t have a big dirty gain stage  but it sounds really warm and mellow with a guitar and at 30w plenty loud for guitar as a back up amp.

Edited by Quilly

It does record beautifully, I used it on my current project.  I’ll have to hook it up to the guitar cabinet and give it a go.

20 hours ago, Quilly said:

I played gigs with the LB30 and my barefaced 210. small gigs where the guitarists were only using those tiny orange things and the drummer played lightly and it was Just loud enough , sounded great to my ears but I’m realistic. It’s only a 30w amp no matter how those watts are made.

I don’t think they intended the LB30 to be a giggling amp. I just really like the tone from it at home , no annoying fan sounds. It just has a lovely tone built into it . I’m sure it would sound great in a studio.

One unintended bonus with this amp is that it works very well with guitar as a “platform” amp, ie it doesn’t have a big dirty gain stage  but it sounds really warm and mellow with a guitar and at 30w plenty loud for guitar as a back up amp.