Why become a member? ×

Isnt it nice to meet BC members for real?

witterth

[quote name='skej21' timestamp='1389621067' post='2336166']
The thing that always surprises me about the whole meeting up thing is how so many of us pay a visit to see Howard (Bass Doc) yet I've never bumped into another basschatter whilst there! I thought it would be like a hub for meeting other basschatters.
[/quote]

Have you seen the state of the road outside his house? Only BC'ers with 4X4's need apply!

[quote name='Billy Apple' timestamp='1389623525' post='2336204']

Have you seen the state of the road outside his house? Only BC'ers with 4X4's need apply!
[/quote]

Haha yeah! Proper northern road. I always park at the end of the street lol.

• 3 months later...

[quote name='seashell' timestamp='1389467219' post='2334509']
Yes indeed. I've been lucky enough to meet a fair few at various bass bashes - lovely guys and gals, all of them.
I've also been to a couple of gigs/jams and seen a few of the lads playing in earnest - gjones, BarneyG and KevB. Each one an inspiration. :-)
Not to mention Steve Lawson of course.
[/quote]

And this, ladies and gentlemen, I can assure you is the ONLY time you will ever see my name and Steve Lawson's mentioned in the same sentence in relation to bass playing. :blush: I think I was probably 'inspirational' in the sense of 'I really should get proper lessons or I'll end up like that' ;)
I recall going to my first ever bassbash in Northampton (may have been whilst it was still bassworld?) and watching Dood play, virtually gave up the instrument on the spot. Then I realised every other bugger there was miles above my standard and I'd have to up my game but I'm still gigging so I guess I can do a job at some level.

Edited by KevB

I can't imagine meeting a BassChatter in person and having a dull conversation. There are quite a few I really would love to meet, many of whom are owed a beer, but being the shut-in that I am...

I'd also love to go to a BassBash but I'm not sure turning up with a BC Rich Warlock in a Coffin case is the done thing... And if I accidentally wondered into the nursery school nextdoor, they would still all be better than me on Bass. Even if it was nap time.

The closest I've got was my wife meeting another BassChatter's wife.

I've met a few and they have all been great blokes. I mean, who on earth would lend a stranger a bass and trust you with it. Only a Basschatter. Thanks again Paul_5 and I hope you enjoyed the scotch I hid in your gig bag.
I also met 2 on one night, Pete Academy and Lurksalot, well, it was a Nearly Dan gig. Great night and great company and will do it again when Lurks and I can get our diaries to match.
Loads more Chatters I want to meet and put faces to the PM's we have shared. I fear liver damage though. :lol:[size=4] [/size]

[quote name='Roland Rock' timestamp='1389555750' post='2335518']
There hasn't been a bass bash in the East Midlands since I've been a member :-(
[/quote]

Blimey - you're right. The last Nottingham bash was 2010!

I've met loads of Basschatters in real life at Nottingham and Yorkshire bashes, and at far too many sales and purchases (from motorway services in in Lancashire, to lay-bys in Berkshire!).

All of them have been great company in real life - even the ones I've fallen out with on-line :lol:

[quote name='Bassman Sam' timestamp='1399671059' post='2446641']
I mean, who on earth would lend a stranger a bass and trust you with it. Only a Basschatter. [size=4] [/size]
[/quote]

Indeed yes, and many thanks to the overly-modest KevB for lending me not one but two if his.

Curses, Bassman Sam, why did you have to mention the scotch in the gig bag? Now I owe Kev two bottles, lol :D

[quote name='LukeFRC' timestamp='1389460813' post='2334410']
the more basschatters I meet the more i realise I'm a really bad bass player...
[/quote]
So far as I'm aware everybody round here puts their trousers on the same was as you do - besides , there are players riding round in the back of a Rolls who can't hold a candle to many pub players I've seen. That's how I see it anyway - I've picked up as many , possibly more in some ways , elements of my playing from local guys than I have from the big names. Everybody has something different to offer and therefore something worth paying attention to. The real stars for me are those who play the notes they should , not the ones they can. Put your finger in the right place at the right time and you're as good as anybody. If you can run 100m in 8 seconds then you're definitely better than Ussain Bolt. Music is different - it's subjective. There's no absolutes , no better or worse - just different.