Why become a member? ×

Fair price for Spector Euro LX4?

Scott S

Hi, guys, I'm just looking for some advice, what with me being a bit of a bass playing neophyte...

I treated myself to a used Spector Euro LX4 a few months ago from Bass Direct. It set me back £1100 and was my first "real" bass having previously had only the most budget of budget instruments. I don't know if this makes any sense to you guys but I've come to the realisation that the Spector, well...it just doesn't "fit" me :scratch_one-s_head: . The action and neck are very comfortable, I think it sounds great...but, for me, something about it just doesn't click. Anyway, I digress...

I've had the Spector on Gumtree, Preloved and now Ebay for a few weeks, at prices ranging from over a grand to an all time low of £849, but no interest whatsoever. Now, given that the bass was second-hand when I got it from Bass Direct for eleven hundred notes, I'm wondering to myself whether I should have entered into negotiations before agreeing to pay (what I thought was) a fair asking price, especially given that I'm getting no real interest at £849 let alone anything near what I originally paid for it!

Soooooo, to try and cut a long story short, what do you peeps think I should be asking for my Euro LX? I'm going to try and attach some pics of it on here (but don't hold your breath because I'm as handy on the lappy as I am on the bass, lol).

PS just as a further digression, I now have the most amazing Squier Classic Vibe Precision, courtesy of our very own Funkle (hi, Pete)..it cost me £230....and it "fits"!!!

I had one almost exactly the same as that! I bought it used for around £700, and after a few months decided (like you) that it just didn't "fit" me. The ergonomics just didn't work, even though the sound and the playability were outstanding.

I tried for ages to sell it on here, and interestingly there were a few similar EuroLX 4s and 5s for sale at the same time.

Here's the thread - [url="http://basschat.co.uk/topic/215635-traded-spector-euro-4lx/page__hl__spector"]http://basschat.co.u...ge__hl__spector[/url]

As well as the usual time-waters and tyre-kickers, I had quite a few low-ball offers - from people who assured me that the "current market value" was only around £550-600!!

In the end I traded it for a very lovely Marcus Miller J bass. But the situation with Spectors is really interesting. There are quite a few for sale on here at the moment, but few are selling. No idea why, as they are great basses.

I would probably value yours at around £750 - but whether you will get anything like that seems to be a bit of a lottery! There are similar basses on here at the moment for a lot more than that!

I would say that £1100 was well over the odds, but it depends on how new it was and what the spec is I guess.

Out of interest, which pre-amp does it have in? There seems to be more interest in the ones featuring Aguilar or EMG circuits rather than the in-house "Tone Pump" - which I actually really liked!

Edited by Conan

Hi Conan, here's the exact spec from the Bass Direct ad...
[list]
[*] [color=#584D4D][font=Helvetica, Arial, sans-serif][size=4]
[size=3]•[/size][color=#000000][size=3]Natural oil finish[/size][/color][/size][/font][/color]
[*] [color=#584D4D][font=Helvetica, Arial, sans-serif][size=3]
•[color=#000000]Original Spector NS curved body style[/color][/size][/font][/color]
•[color=#000000]Graphite Reinforced 3pc Neck-Thru Body, USA Rock Maple Neck[/color][/size][/font][/color]
•[color=#000000]Body Wings: Alder back, slice of walnut[/color][/size][/font][/color]
•[color=#000000]Top Wood USA Flamed maple top[/color][/size][/font][/color]
•[color=#000000]24 Fret Rosewood Fingerboard[/color][/size][/font][/color]
•[color=#000000]Mother of pearl Spector inlays[/color][/size][/font][/color]
•[color=#000000]35" scale[/color][/size][/font][/color]
•[color=#000000]Gold Plated Hardware: Spector Brass Zinc Alloy Locking Bridge, Schaller Tuners and Straplocks[/color][/size][/font][/color]
•[color=#000000]Classic: EMG P/J active pickups.[/color][/size][/font][/color]
•[color=#000000]Spector TonePump™ boost only active bass and treble tone controls[/color][/size][/font][/color]
•[color=#000000]Width at nut 1.64", String Spacing at bridge .75", Fingerboard radius 16"[/color][/size][/font][/color]
•[color=#000000]Limited lifetime warranty against defects to the original owner.[/color][/size][/font][/color]
•[color=#000000]Weight 8lb 12oz/4kg[/color][/size][/font][/color]
[*]
[font="Helvetica, Arial, sans-serif"][color="#000000"][size=3]Yeah, I'm [/size][size=3]beginning to think that I was a bit of a lamb to the slaughter re:what I paid...a recipe for disaster really; novice, poorly informed, enthusiastic, decent overtime for a couple of months prior to seeing the ad and buying the Spector, lol. Shame i didn't know about Basschat back then![/size][/color][/font]
[/list]

[quote name='Graham' timestamp='1389212950' post='2331532']
I'm not a Spector expert, but I think you have a Euro LX4-35 there, which is a bit rarer - I believe the standard LX4 has a 34 inch scale.
[/quote]

Yeah, thanks for the feedback, Graham (and everyone else), much appreciated, though I'm still uncertain as how to progress with the Spector sale.
Tbh, I'd be happy if I managed to get enough for it to allow me to pick up a used USA Precision or Musicman Stingray, both of which I was considering before I clapped eyes on the Spector. Hindsight can be a real pain in the arse, lol.

[quote name='RAY AGAINST THE MACHINE' timestamp='1389215430' post='2331576']
Recession . Things are gonna move sloooowly for some time yet . Maybe best trading it for something you may see on here .
[/quote]

Yes. I had quite a few trade enquiries for mine (which was exactly the same spec as the OP's, but 34" scale).

It would seem that there are more people who would like to try a Spector than are prepared to pay top dollar for one.

Worth putting a thread up on here asking for trades rather than a sale?

[quote name='Thunderbird' timestamp='1389210511' post='2331481']
I would stick it under the bed for a rainy day no point in losing so much money on it......keep it until the market picks up unless you really need the cash
[/quote]

Good advice! Unless you really don't get on with a bass but really want something else - in which case it can be better to sell/trade at a lower value to get something that works for you and that you will use. Put the loss of cash down to experience if you can take the hit...

I personally hate keeping basses that I don't play. I would rather I sold them to someone who will use them! But maybe that's just me :blush:

[quote name='Scott S' timestamp='1389215180' post='2331569']
I'm still uncertain as how to progress with the Spector sale.
[/quote]

It would cost you £7 for a one-off advert on here, or £20 if you want to place unlimited ads for a year.

Surely it's worth a few quid to get it "out there" as it were - in the vision of thousands of bass players from the UK, Europe and even further afield?

Even if it sits there for a few months you might well get some interest. But have a look at some of the other Spector for sale threads first to get an idea of what is already available and what prices people are asking...

It's worth £750 - £900 depending on what the market will bear.
I'd never let a EuroLX go for less than that, even more so as as new ones are these days almost £2k! The market is slow at the moment, but it WILL pick up so hang onto it for now or trade it for something else of the same value.

[quote name='cetera' timestamp='1389265917' post='2332011']
It's worth £750 - £900 depending on what the market will bear.
I'd never let a EuroLX go for less than that, even more so as as new ones are these days almost £2k! The market is slow at the moment, but it WILL pick up so hang onto it for now or trade it for something else of the same value.
[/quote]

Yeah, mate, £750-900 would be a fair sale/trade figure, and from what I've seen of previous ads on here should put me in the vicinity of a used US Precision/Musicman Stingray.

Edited by Scott S

[quote name='Conan' timestamp='1389255045' post='2331851']
Good advice! Unless you really don't get on with a bass but really want something else - in which case it can be better to sell/trade at a lower value to get something that works for you and that you will use. Put the loss of cash down to experience if you can take the hit...

I personally hate keeping basses that I don't play. I would rather I sold them to someone who will use them! But maybe that's just me :blush:
[/quote]

Nah, it's not just you mate, I don't like the fact that a sleek, long necked Czech beauty is sat lonely and unloved whilst I lavish my attention of £200 worth of Far Eastern cheap n cheerful, lol.