Why become a member? ×

could anyone give some advice?

jamiethecat

Hi everyone

I've just signed up, I currently own charvel fusion, tanglewood curbow4, cort curbow5 and traben chaos core.
A while ago the preamp fried in my traben and someone changed it for an unknown brand preamp. Could I easily change it to passive?

Also I'm considering getting an ibanez sr500 would the two Bart's sound superior to the single in my curbow and are there any other basses I should consider in that price range.

I should add I play in a pop/rock covers band and also a hard rock covers band.

Thanks in advance
Jamie

Hi Jamie and :crigon_04: to Basschat.

I know you've told us what genre you want to play, but can you tell us what sound you like?
As you may appreciate "superior" is a subjective matter.
Not that I can answer your question as I know the Barts but not the pups in the Curbow.

Because I'm playing different styles I need a good general rounded sound, a funk sound and something a bit gritty for rock. I've been trying to get a growl but can't seem to get it.
My charvel sounds awesome but it's a fiver and quite heavy I really want a good 4 string and figured about £500 would be a step up from what I have.

If you're happy with Cort build quality (assume you are with those Curbows - pretty certain the early Tanglewood Curbows are just rebadged Corts) then you might consider the Cort B4, similar layout to the Ibanez SR500 but about £90 cheaper (and I'd bet that Cort build those Ibanez instruments anyway). I've got a B4 fretless and am very happy with it.

Edited by HowieBass

[quote name='spacey' timestamp='1389044948' post='2329350']
Do you need a two octave bass ? I have always felt that shorter basses have more growl on the bottom frets where you need it.
[/quote]

I've heard this too, but I've got a couple of 35" scale basses with mega growly B strings

[quote name='spacey' timestamp='1389044948' post='2329350']
Do you need a two octave bass ? I have always felt that shorter basses have more growl on the bottom frets where you need it.
[/quote]

Wow. That's interesting. You mean shorter necked basses, right? As in that a larger percentage of the string is over the body? Or in other words: we are still talking about the same scale length, yes?
While there is no doubt in my mind that the neck length/body length ratio (of course only between nut and saddles) is very important, and possibly gets more important the more flexible the neck is, I had no idea that this could be translated into growl.

I'm just not good enough to even test this, as I get a plethora of different timbres/styles even when trying to play evenly, but will surely remember this. Me likey growl.

Hey! Got an idea! The Neckless[b][sup]TM[/sup][/b]! ;)
Remember you read it here first! :)

Edited by BassTractor

It's 7£ for an ad, or 20£ a year for as many ads as you like. Nobody is forced to sell on BC. However, if one does, one is not allowed to do it here, without paying for the service.
Simple rules, I should imagine, so evil, suspicious minds (not me) might think you cheekily are trying to sell whilst dodging the fees...

My take: why not simply support this lovely place, and sell with a clear conscience?

[quote name='BassTractor' timestamp='1389198802' post='2331239']
It's 7£ for an ad, or 20£ a year for as many ads as you like. Nobody is forced to sell on BC. However, if one does, one is not allowed to do it here, without paying for the service.
Simple rules, I should imagine, so evil, suspicious minds (not me) might think you cheekily are trying to sell whilst dodging the fees...

My take: why not simply support this lovely place, and sell with a clear conscience?
[/quote]

I love my SR600, it has so much variation in sounds and tone that you can get from it, and if you like low end growl, you'll like an SR600. The only difference the body wood.

Word of caution, the body wood is relatively soft and will easily get buckle rash, but it's very light and super thin fast neck.

Good luck,

John.

Edited by 99mustang

:crigon_04:

check out [url="http://161589.homepagemodules.de/t29f2-Cadfaels-kleine-Schaltplan-Sammlung-fuer-passive-E-Baesse.html"]http://161589.homepagemodules.de/t29f2-Cadfaels-kleine-Schaltplan-Sammlung-fuer-passive-E-Baesse.html[/url]

bottom of page is link to a pdf file called [b]bassschaltungen407[/b]

[quote name='noelk27' timestamp='1389876182' post='2338923']
Why do I find myself thinking the OP should try out a G&L Tribute L2000 (if he's wanting a Swiss Army knife, to cover all the bases, for not a lot of money)?
[/quote] because you are a highly intelligent man with a lot of experience of musical instruments?

• 1 month later...