Why become a member? ×

Best slap bass album!!!

bubinga5

[quote name='6stringbassist' post='230442' date='Jul 1 2008, 12:16 PM']My favourite is the first solo album by Mark King - Influences.[/quote]

Surprisingly, I didn't think there was a great deal of slapping on there for it being a Mark King album...good record though!

For a real slap fest, what about "Kings of Sleep" by Stuart Hamm (an absolutely beautiful record) or Level 42's self titled debut album?

Elegant Punk by Jonas Hellborg also has a couple of AWESOME slapping tunes on it. :)

I'll steer clear of the obvious Level 42 stuff as mentioned above. I might as well say my entire Level 42 collection. :)

But a few albums I like, as the slapping is a little different in each case:

"J K Special" featuring Jorg (J.K.) Kleutgens on bass and Dave Weckl on drums
"On The Corner" by John Patitucci
"The Sun Don't Lie" by Marcus Miller
"Le Band" by Alain Caron

Can't stand Level 42. :)

Try Larry Graham (Sly and Family Stone), Marcus Miller, Les Claypool (Primus) and Bootsy Collins.

Stuart Zender (ex Jamiroquai) had some great licks that will be instantly recognizable, but perhaps he's already known to you...

Edited by rjb

Also try [i]Outbound[/i] by Stuart Hamm. It's a very "mature" piece of work from him but the entire album is filled with the most glorious licks, and the slap line to the Castro Hustle is a beast.

And, and Jeff Berlin's [i]Champion[/i] might be worth a listen too...wait, that can't be right, a bassists solo album without a note of slap on it? :)

I'm quite a fan of Fieldy's slapping with Korn, I'm not a huge Nu-Metal fan but Korn just hits the spot sometimes. Can't name a specific album, most fans say their early ones are much better but I think they all have merit.

Edited by Oscar South

[quote name='Oscar South' post='230751' date='Jul 1 2008, 06:22 PM']I'm quite a fan of Fieldy's slapping with Korn, I'm not a huge Nu-Metal fan but Korn just hits the spot sometimes.[/quote]

Korn's eponymous debut album is fantastically dark and grooving. Their 3rd album (Follow The Leader) is pretty damn good too though less consistent. The 2nd (Life Is Peachy) is a less good imitation of the first (but better than most nu metal). The 4th seems pointless and I don't know about the rest. Not your typical slap playing for sure!

Alex

[quote name='Thunderthumbs' post='230564' date='Jul 1 2008, 02:31 PM']I'll steer clear of the obvious Level 42 stuff as mentioned above. I might as well say my entire Level 42 collection. :)

But a few albums I like, as the slapping is a little different in each case:

"J K Special" featuring Jorg (J.K.) Kleutgens on bass and Dave Weckl on drums
"On The Corner" by John Patitucci
"The Sun Don't Lie" by Marcus Miller
"Le Band" by Alain Caron[/quote]

Haven't got the JK album, but the other 3 get a +1 from me !

Also "My radio sure sounds good to me" by Larry Graham and Graham Central Station, starts with a track called POW, and it hits you right between the eyes with monster slap !!!

[quote name='bubinga5' post='230439' date='Jul 1 2008, 12:15 PM']Hey people can anyone recommend the best slap bass album by certain artists. Im talking lots of slapbass lines.. Lois Johnson, L Graham..??[/quote]

For an exhibition of the above the 1993 Japanese CD 'MO FUNK' by The Jazz Funk Masters featuring Louis Johnson has Louis slappin' an poppin' his way through eight Motown classics. Wonderful stuff indeed :)

[quote name='Chris2112' post='230732' date='Jul 1 2008, 05:53 PM']Also try [i]Outbound[/i] by Stuart Hamm. It's a very "mature" piece of work from him but the entire album is filled with the most glorious licks, and the slap line to the Castro Hustle is a beast.

And, and Jeff Berlin's [i]Champion[/i] might be worth a listen too...wait, that can't be right, a bassists solo album without a note of slap on it? :)[/quote]

Oh Mr Berlin SLAPS. He doesn't do it on record much though. I went to see John McLaughlin with Trilok Gurtu and the bassist supposedly was to be Kai Eckhardt. Mr Berlin was on stage instead and I wasn't complaining, he did a most marvellous slap solo that was a few minutes long and at the end of it he grinned as if to say "FXXX THAT".

I picked up a Live Hits Level 42 album from the US a year or two ago. The bass cuts through a treat. There is fantastic musicianship and songwritting from start to finish. The album has a picture of a skyscraper on the front (Level 42). I paid about £3 for it.

Slaptastic!