Why become a member? ×
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Why buy sansamp DI ?

Black Coffee

[quote name='bassman344' timestamp='1388736726' post='2325350']
Pardon my ignorance on this piece of kit.
Does the absence of a mids tone control hamper abilities and possible sounds.. Would i be better with the rackable version with the mid option?
[/quote]

there is an inherent mid cut in the tone so having a mid control to dial it back in can be seen as useful

Ive been using a BDDI fo ra few years now. It just seems to bring my rig to life. A bit like having an active bass....but not lol.

I tend to keep the bass and treble more or less in the centre, Blend (the most important knob on the device) at about 9 - 10 o'clock, presence off and gain about 9 o'clock.
I dont have it for any amp sim or distortion, just to being things to life a bit and give a bit more depth. Its on al the time and if i need to tweak my EQ i tend to do it on this rather than my amp most of the time.
Ive never noticed the lack of mids, but then i dont have the blend up too high so im still getting a lot of the un effected tone mixed in. My rig is also quite pokey so the BDDI actually helps smooth things out a bit.
Its also nice having the XLR out, and it being powered off our desk. You cant do this with the BDI21.

I recently started using a Zoom B3 and lately a Zoom 60-B. These have a BDDI sim, and Zoom has even included a mid control for this. I still find myself not using that knob, just dont have the need.
Ive also got a BDI-21, which i never use but i started out with this. Slightly different tones but all really in the same ball park and all are very interchangeable IME.
Saying that, for me the BDDI is the first choice, not least because it has a very slightly warmer and fatter tone, but i really only hear that with headphones on at home. In fact the digital versions produce less boom on some of our stages.

As a side note the Zoom pedal's come with simulations of a few of these devices, BDDI, MXR etc, so i can almost test each one out without having to buy individual boxes. To me the BDDI is still the best, but as you can see i dont really use it to its full potential (and dont like OD/distortion on bass anyway).

EDIT: Getting back to the mid cut thing. Its not a mid cut as such, its just that you can only boost the low and high, and so the mids do become weaker the higher you go with the other controls (and they are very powerful, and interactive). Adjusting both high and low slightly to the left brings the mids back.
At least, this is how Tech21 explained it to me.

Edited by dave_bass5

Behringer bdi21 is the mutts nuts and should be banned and I am the only person allowed to have one.
I ,ve had mine for 6 years bought s/h on fleabag ,the postage was more than the item.£3.99 for postage.
I use this about 3 times a week all the time and still going strong.
How to make a crap bass and amp sound good, in fact who needs a n amp ,just plug into PA ,even a sound engineer couldn,t arse up.mind you !

Yep. I got a BDI21 a few years ago when I had a one off gig without a rig. Big PA and big monitors so I thought what the hell, I'll sell it afterwards.
I actually ended up keeping it, and although I did try it at a few gigs with my rig I really didn't get on with it.
It was only a few years later when I decided to sell it that I tried it again, just to make sure it was working. This time I backed the blend knob off and bang, there was that tone that I had been looking for.
Since then I've not really looked back. I only really got the BDDI as like the look of it, and as it sits on my amp I have no need for a foot switch looking device. I did have some time with a Parardriver last year but as good as that was it just didn't do it for me.

Not sure if it's been mentioned but there are actually two versions of the BDDI, a MKI and MKII. The MKII has more switches on it and is more versatile as far as outputs go. Then of course there is the programable version.

• 2 weeks later...

I use the deluxe version - I love having the ability to change my tone during a song, and to bypass or engage my effects loop with one switch like a looper or line selector. One thing I'd like is a wet/dry knob for the effects loop.
I use a few different sounds, from dry to dirtier (i love the overdriven sound from this pedal).

This is a very handy comparison between the [color=#000000][font=arial, sans-serif]SansAmp Bass Driver DI and the Behringer BDI 21. The cheapo Behringer sounds great at a fraction of the price of the sansamp. I'm impressed. [/font][/color]

[b] http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SD0CN4rs8p8[/b]

[quote name='bassman344' timestamp='1388736726' post='2325350']
Pardon my ignorance on this piece of kit.
Does the absence of a mids tone control hamper abilities and possible sounds.. Would i be better with the rackable version with the mid option?
[/quote]

I had a Sansamp and found the lack of a mid control really irritating. I now have a Hartke Bass Attack which I much prefer. Its also significantly cheaper which is a nice bonus :D

I bought my Bass Driver ages ago before I really appreciated what it did. With recent changes, I am now regularly playing with no backline, just DI'd straight into the PA. Sansamp is great for this, though I prefer less colour so I run it with the blend all the way off. This still allows use of the Level, Bass and Treble controls.