Why become a member? ×

Changing strings

BobVbass

Well it's a momentous day for I have decided I need new strings. Bearing in mind I change my basses more than I change strings it's a big decision!

I usually use Rotosound RS66 stainless - my current set is errm probably about 5 years old :)

So should I go for some more of the same or should I try something else?

Live dangerously, try something else :)

I am particularly enjoying the D'Addario balanced tension sets at the moment, nickel so a bit warmer but are still nice and bright and the lower strings have a real piano like quality to them.

[quote name='Roland Rock' timestamp='1387873551' post='2316585']
You obviously like the 'less zingy' sound, so why not give flats a go. They feel great too

I'd recommend Status, whether flat or round
[/quote]

just gone over to the dark side also with the status hotwire flats, recommended, (unless you're a slapper!)

These ones do.
[url="http://www.bassstringsonline.com/La-Bella-Deep-Talkin-Flat-Wound-for-Thru-Body-Basses--4-String-Set_p_927.html"]http://www.bassstringsonline.com/La-Bella-Deep-Talkin-Flat-Wound-for-Thru-Body-Basses--4-String-Set_p_927.html[/url]

I'm a fan of the more darker bass sound and I have a Fleabass (designed for the complete opposite), I've finally managed to get the sound I like out of it but it's time to change my old strings as they are really dead, buzz loads and have hardly any sustain at the lower end anymore, they've been on for a year and a bit. I was thinking maybe some flatwounds as my college has a MIJ Precision with them on and although at first they felt a bit weird they began to feel kinda nice to play. I was unsure if these are a bit warmer/darker sounding than roundwounds out of the box or if they just sounded this way because they've been on the college bass for a while. Which set would you guys recommend as my bass is 3/4 size ? I did see some D'addario's and I use them on my guitars but I have no clue if their bass strings are any good.
Not meaning to hijack the thread btw !
Thanks

[quote name='BobVbass' timestamp='1387868043' post='2316555']
Well it's a momentous day for I have decided I need new strings. Bearing in mind I change my basses more than I change strings it's a big decision!

I usually use Rotosound RS66 stainless - my current set is errm probably about 5 years old :)

So should I go for some more of the same or should I try something else?
[/quote]

I used to use these, and used to keep them for about a year or so. Muzz on here kindly sent me some Rotosound R66 Nickel rounds and I far prefer them, they have a warmer sound at the start, and they feel much nicer under-finger, so to speak. Plus nickel strings are meant to be better for the fretboard.

[quote name='HowieBass' timestamp='1388006264' post='2317862']
+1 for both the Fender steel flats and the Roto nickel rounds :)
[/quote]

If you mean rotobass, I would advise against them, unless you want a string that sounds new for a few weeks, then dies. That's my experience of them anyway. They are cheap, so alright if you are in a bind, but not something I would recommend for long term usage.

[quote name='AutomaticWriting' timestamp='1387915054' post='2317241']
Which set would you guys recommend as my bass is 3/4 size ? I did see some D'addario's and I use them on my guitars but I have no clue if their bass strings are any good.
[/quote]

I love D'Addario strings. They are a high quality string, IMO. My old bass teacher turned me on to them at first - last I saw him, he had a set of Prosteels on his bass for a year, with loads of tone left in them. Flatwounds have less brightness than roundwound strings, but they tend to last longer and the degradation in their tone isn't as pronounced. Some would argue that with time, flatwounds sound better.

However - dark is not a term that springs to mind when talking about any set of D'Addario strings that I have ever used. I've never used their flat wounds, though. Very good strings, but maybe not what you're after if you want "dark" sounding strings.