Why become a member? ×

Fender American Deluxe Precision

Guest gazzatriumph

Guest gazzatriumph

Hi, I'm trying out a new Fender deluxe P bass this week, anything to look for, have fender sorted out the shielding issue which seems to have been a problem reading other topics. If I'm going to pay that amount of money out I wouldn't expect any problems. Any advice/thoughts appreciated, have a good xmas and new year, regards Gary

I have a US P deluxe from 2003 or so but I think it already had some shielding fitted when I picked it up s/h so don't know how it sounded prior to that. I'm playing passives at the moment and the deluxe isn't getting used much unfortunately, too good a bass to be having as a backup really but I'm not going to give it away, it's a beast of a thing. Don't go overboard on the mids boost knob at the far end!

Guest gazzatriumph

Hi Kev, thanks for your reply, too good and for me too expensive as a back up, is there any reason you don't just use it in passive mode as your main bass. If I get it I will be using a MIM Fender P with Seymour Duncan pups as a back up which I do like but fancied treating myself (you only live once). Hope to try it out end of the week when it is due to arrive at the shop, cheers Gary.

No noise issues with my 2010 American Deluxe P either. I use it passive a lot of the time, but it's quiet with the pre-amp on too. Gets more play than any of my other basses - really well put together and very comfortable to play. I did swap out the pickups earlier this year because I was after a more vintage P sound and a bit more bottom end from the J p/up, but the stock p/ups are good. Be interested to see what you think when you get the chance to play one.

The issue was being reported on American Deluxe basses from the new line as the older ones had shielding-paint inside the cavities (I THINK from 2010 onwards?)

Quickest way to tell if you have a new one is if the bridge pickup is a J (the older line had humbuckers at the bridge). Other differences include the preamp, active/passive switching and the newer HMV bridge.

The 2010 P Bass Deluxes with the Jazz pickup by the bridge did have shielding issues. Well, they had no shielding whatsoever! Fender had them returned back in swathes to resolve the issue.

I had one for a short while and whilst the buzzing wasn't too bad, I coated the cavity with some shielding paint and then lined on top of the paint with copper tape (also on the back of the pickguard to completely seal the electrics).

Although it took a bit of effort, it completely sorted any noise issues and made a super bass even more playable.

I should hope that later models are leaving the factory with this issue resolved now, but if not, it's a simple fix so I wouldn't lose sleep over it :)

Edited by Old Horse Murphy

[quote name='gazzatriumph' timestamp='1387225596' post='2309656'] Hi Kev, thanks for your reply, too good and for me too expensive as a back up, is there any reason you don't just use it in passive mode as your main bass.[/quote] I don't think there is the option on my model, there's no active/passive switch as far as I know. It's an 18v (2x 9v batteries) powering the pre amp and a double J pickup at the bridge; [URL=http://s30.photobucket.com/user/KevB64/media/IMG_0944.jpg.html][IMG]http://i30.photobucket.com/albums/c307/KevB64/IMG_0944.jpg[/IMG][/URL]
[URL=http://s30.photobucket.com/user/KevB64/media/IMG_0947.jpg.html][IMG]http://i30.photobucket.com/albums/c307/KevB64/IMG_0947.jpg[/IMG][/URL]
I think the design has subtly changed over the years

Edited by KevB

Guest gazzatriumph

Thanks for all the informative replies, your bass looks nice kev, cant wait to try the new bass out will post when I have given it a go, thanks again

Guest gazzatriumph

Well I purchased the bass, no buzzing noise in active or passive mode, plays nice, most the tone settings are around central position with only slight adjustments which suits the sound I'm looking for, I have an MIM P Bass with Seymour Duncan pups which will now be my back up, but to be honest although I love the new bass and it looks quality I'm not convinced its worth a grand more than the MIM one, but chuffed to own one. :)