Why become a member? ×

Jazz bass problem

badboy1984

I've got my jazz bass for ages now and I only just start to realise this problem.

The E string sounds abit weird compare to my other bass. Don't know how to describe it but It sounds abit like a wah filter kinda effect when I turn the tone knob full on and hit the open string or fretted note. It does this on the A string as well.

The bass is passive with volume, blend and tone knob, but it does the same when I had the J-Retro installed on the bass.

The bass does hum when I convert it back to passive but I'm not too bother about the hum.

The pickup on the bass is Dmarzio DP123 set.

The bass had been setup perfectly and correct intonation as well.

Edited by badboy1984

Hmm, does it do the sound unplugged too? I'm inclined to say it'll be either the bridge or nut looking at. Also are the strings all wound to the bottom of the peg? Silly questions but it might be something like that as little things can make quite a difference! Acid test would be to restring it, I'd say there's a very good chance that'd fix it

[quote name='gary mac' timestamp='1386829159' post='2305020']
Last time I encountered the same thing (if I have understood your description correctly), it was due to the pick up being too close to the E & A strings. Like booboo suggested, lowering it a little sorted the problem.
[/quote]

This was my first thought, when I read your post too....
I had a hint of this problem, years back, on a Precision...

Try lowering the pickups

Let us know how you get on
Good luck with sorting it

I will take a look on the string and pickup height. I know is not the bridge and the intonation and I haven't checked the nut to behonest. Is not obvious when unplug but when plug in ......... but it does sound a bit different when i plug the E string unplug.

The hum thing i'm not too sure is it because the treble is abit too much or what but is not something I'm too bother about.

I really love this jazz bass but when my part build P/J bass play much more nicer then my Fender ...... I'm not sure does pickup change will make a different or not. I'm still not too keen on these dmarzio dp123 set.

Edited by badboy1984

Problem solve, it was the amp and the headphone that causes the problem. Is more like the amp actually. It plays perfectly and sounded perfect when I try I it on my main rig through the speakers. It only sound weird through the headphone on the little BA108. The buzz also cause by the BA108 as well ........