Why become a member? ×

Wal Mach II 5 string. 1988, WITHDRAWN
£3200

Mokl

After considerable deliberation I've finally decided to part with my lovely Wal Mach II 5 string. It's a 1988 and was told by the previous owner that this was one of the last basses signed off by Ian Waller.

Believe it or not when I acquired it the bass had been refinished in black, but as a happy coincidence Paul Herman took over the reigns at Wal shortly after I took ownership of it so I made the decision to send it to him for a full refinish. The total cost of the work done came to over £800 and was something of a gamble as I had no idea what would be underneath! Needless to say I couldn't have been more delighted when I opened the case on getting it back. The top is a beautifully figured Schedua with a prominent sap line. The neck is a maple and hornbeam with rosewood fingerboard and some lovely figuring on the headstock.

The bass is therefore in nearly immaculate condition, although there are a couple of incredibly minor marks on the finish. One of the machine heads is missing the black plastic Schaller logo at the back (I contacted Schaller and they couldn't provide me with a replacement) and one of the original machine head screws has been replaced for one of a different type. It functions perfectly however.

This bass has a seriously dark, low mid growl but can get brighter tones using the pick attack control. Needless to say all the electrics are in full working order and the bass has the classic Wal tone you would expect.

I also have the original grey fibreglass case which is in a reasonable condition given its age. The rubber sealing around the edge could do with fixing, but otherwise it's in good order.

You will want to see this bass before buying so if you are interested please let me know and we'll arrange to meet up. I don't think I will feel comfortable posting this and the cost of doing so would be very high to have it fully insured.

[b]I'm not interested in trades, thank you.[/b]

I haven't been very active on the forums recently although sold quite a bit of gear in the Bassworld days. Bob Palt knows me well and I'm sure would vouch for me not being dodgy, if required!

I'll get a few more detailed pics of control cavity etc up shortly. Thanks, Matt.

EDIT: Removing the control cover has reminded me this is a 1988, not 1989. Additional pics added.

Edited by Mokl

I have known Matt for a few years now and he has bought several high end basses from me, each transaction being an absolute delight. I saw this bass the other day and can vouch for the fact its immaculate, plays like a dream and has the Wal tone in spades. Unbelievable that someone in the past wanted to paint it black when it has such an exquisite figured top. No accounting for taste I suppose, but it looks so much better now.

Matt is a gentleman, and anyone wanting this bass will not be in the slightest disappointed.

Hi all, some interest and many nice comments but no definite offers yet. Not in a hurry to sell but I will consider all sensible offers. I will ship this bass too, but it'll need to be fully insured.

Edited by Mokl

[quote name='Buzzardist' timestamp='1387061286' post='2307944']
Go on Kev..nice Crimbo gift to ones self
[/quote]

If I had the moolah I would! But sadly I don't and the Dolphin aint going nowhere :)

[quote name='James Wiltshire' timestamp='1388069251' post='2318262']
This isnt midi is it?
[/quote]

If you're looking for a midi version specifically, I believe there's one for sale at The Gallery in Camden. It used to belong to Pino.

If I could offload my two Warwick's, I'd be all over this Wal. Always wanted one. Humph!