Why become a member? ×

Squier bass vi question

still-young

[quote name='still-young' timestamp='1386611892' post='2302177']
I tried to learn guitar righty when I started an found it so uncomfortable and hard to learn, but then I switched to left and picked it up a lot quicker
[/quote]
Worms can of
http://basschat.co.uk/topic/203555-why-do-we-play-right-or-left-handed/page__hl__left+handed__fromsearch__1
my own personnel theory, totally unscientific, is that some people are a lot more left handed than others, so some find it easy to play the 'wrong way round' to what feels natural, while others find it impossible

[quote name='PaulWarning' timestamp='1386617687' post='2302286']
Worms can of
[url="http://basschat.co.uk/topic/203555-why-do-we-play-right-or-left-handed/page__hl__left+handed__fromsearch__1"]http://basschat.co.u...__fromsearch__1[/url]
my own personnel theory, totally unscientific, is that some people are a lot more left handed than others, so some find it easy to play the 'wrong way round' to what feels natural, while others find it impossible
[/quote]

ok, if we have already done that. I guess it is just one of those guitar things, and the fact that few people learn to learn instruments other than guitars without some kind of tuition.

I would have thought considering the string range, you would have to flip the nut and I would suspect you would also need to do something about the trem being in the way.

Would it not be viable to get a bass vi neck and a left handed mustang body? I am not sure what the distance bridge to neck is

[quote name='Woodinblack' timestamp='1386696581' post='2303231']
ok, if we have already done that. I guess it is just one of those guitar things, and the fact that few people learn to learn instruments other than guitars without some kind of tuition.
[/quote]
maybe I'm being a bit thick here but I'm not entirely sure what you're getting at, unless you're saying people can't learn the unnatural way because they don't have lessons, I was chatting to a fellow lefty at an open mic the other week and he was saying he spent 2 years having lesson on guitar (playing right handed) and was getting nowhere, then the teacher noticed he wrote left handed so he started again playing as a lefty and never looked back.
Left handed people may be able to write right handed but they probably will never be as good as if they'd learnt left handed.

[quote name='PaulWarning' timestamp='1386702939' post='2303376']
maybe I'm being a bit thick here but I'm not entirely sure what you're getting at, unless you're saying people can't learn the unnatural way because they don't have lessons[/quote]

No, I am saying that when you go to play the piano, violin, flute etc, noone ever asks if you want a left handed one, it is never a choice. Because you tend to learn the guitar yourself it is your choice. There have been some left handed violins, but they are very rare and even if you got to play one solo, you couldn't go in an orchestra with one.

I take your point that you had difficulty with it, but I fail to understand why it is harder to play a guitar left handed rather than right handed. In fact I always thought the guitar was backwards, in that your most dextrous hand is doing the least work. When I first went to the guitar I thought it was really stupid that my left hand had to do those crazy patterns and move around, whereas my right hand just had to move up and down. Coming from the piano where (at least at a start level) it is the other way round. I used to play my mates guitar which was left handed and it was fine for me.

[quote name='PaulWarning' timestamp='1386702939' post='2303376']
Left handed people may be able to write right handed but they probably will never be as good as if they'd learnt left handed.
[/quote]

That much is obvious, it is a one handed pastime so you use your best hand, but most musical instruments involve the coordination between the left and right hands with neither really being that dominant

My assessment, as a right hander turning it over just to see where things go, is that the tremolo arm would be no problem - it's removable anyway - but depending on whether you are going to play with fingers or a pick, the volume and tone controls and, more so, the pickup on/off switches amd the strangle switch are going to be uncomfortable.

Where is your left wrist and left hand going to be when you play?