Why become a member? ×

Thunderbirds

DaytonaRik

I bought an Epi Pro IV T'Bird and preferred it to my Fender MIM P bass so much so that I bought a s/h 2000 Gibson T'bass with original case for £700.I find the sound brighter on the Gibson with the Epi more muddy. You can get good varaition of tone and I do not find it is a one trick pony as some people do. The only issue I had and a common thing to look for is the bridge pins were lifting which a local luthier stuck in for me for £20.I have kept the original 3 point bridge, which really is bad design, purely because it is original, in my view looks better than a hipshot but also finding Hipshots in the UK are expensive and I do not know if really worth it.

I picked this up yesterday. Was on EBay. Is a 93 but came with a Hipshot bridge, replacement TRC/Pickguard, Hipshot down tuner and all original pieces in OHSC delivered for £800. It is V nice albeit, a bit beaten up. Looks to me like shoddy finishing allowing the undercoat to show through on touch points. It plays perfectly so is worth keeping a look out, they are out there.

[quote name='DaytonaRik' timestamp='1389277125' post='2332236']
Yeah I know - I was in talks with him about that exact one :(
[/quote]
Wondered if this was one of the ones you were referring to. I am pretty pleased with it. Does feel very long though, not too heavy, a bit of neck dive but pretty diverse spectrum of sounds. I'm hoping that the non-pristine state of it will stop me fretting about damaging it when playing. Keep on looking mate, something will come up.

[quote name='Bassmonkey' timestamp='1389281659' post='2332318']
Wondered if this was one of the ones you were referring to. I am pretty pleased with it. Does feel very long though, not too heavy, a bit of neck dive but pretty diverse spectrum of sounds. I'm hoping that the non-pristine state of it will stop me fretting about damaging it when playing. Keep on looking mate, something will come up.
[/quote]

Not a problem fella...these things happen. I was thinking the same re finish i.e. I'd not be to precious about it I remember when I swapped from a Patrick Eggle to a Firebird...it felt HUUUUUUUGE! I was constantly playing everything a tone higher!!!

Edited by DaytonaRik

[quote name='JPJ' timestamp='1389280791' post='2332298']
Im surprised no one has mentioned the Spector Rex bass on this thread - far superior to the Epi ones imho and still retains the classic t'bird shape whilst offering a lot
[/quote]

I'm not sure re the aesthetics...it's not quite a T'bird in the same way that a Jackson Rhoads isn't quite a flying vee! That said, I have no doubt they're a fine instrument in their own right.

[quote name='DaytonaRik' timestamp='1389285376' post='2332391']
I'm not sure re the aesthetics...it's not quite a T'bird in the same way that a Jackson Rhoads isn't quite a flying vee! That said, I have no doubt they're a fine instrument in their own right.
[/quote]

+1
IMHO a Thunderbird looks wrong without the traditional headstock shape!

• 3 weeks later...

Exciting stuff and I hope it fulfills your needs and expectations.

I had T'bird gas but when one fell through I went for an EB 2014. With help from Kiogon (John) I've now rewired it with 3 pull pots for proper series/parallel and global series/parallel operation. It sounds so good that it may have cured my gas in this direction.

Edited by GreeneKing

[quote name='DaytonaRik' timestamp='1391085717' post='2353038']
Well, patience and persistence paid off and yesterday I was rewarded with a near mint 2010 GibsonThunderbird IV for the princely sum of £750! Exited much! NBD is next Wed/Thu depending on delivery. This is worse than waiting for Christmas!!!
[/quote]

My hearty congratulations, and I hope the two of you will be very happy together! I got my 2011 'bird through the marketplace on here and I can honestly say it's the nicest bass I've ever owned - I seem to have been cured of any and all gas since last October!