Why become a member? ×

I've just caught myself thinking ...

Annoying Twit

Higher. The B string is amply low enough for me, but in trying to have several layers recorded from the same instrument, it's good to have a good wide range. In the loop I had earlier, I was going as far down as the C on the low string, and in soloing, got pretty close to the 24th fret on the high C string.

I'm writing the looper software myself. I'm planning that eventually it will run on a Raspberry Pi with LCD and footswitches. But, that's someways in the future. Some more details here: http://basschat.co.uk/topic/218120-diy-looper-project/

[quote name='Annoying Twit' timestamp='1385759832' post='2292022']
Just been playing around with my looper software.

After 'soloing' over a loop for a while, at the end I caught myself thinking that six strings on a bass aren't enough sometimes :)
[/quote]

The great thing about loops is that once you've got the loop going you can play a completely different instrument over the top.

Just buy a guitar and be done with it!

[quote name='BigRedX' timestamp='1385812176' post='2292424']
[/quote]

Yep ! Jamerson, Marcus Miller, Jack Bruce, Jaco etc were more than able to express themselves with four strings.

It's not how many you have, but what you do with them. ;)

[quote name='BigRedX' timestamp='1385812176' post='2292424']
The great thing about loops is that once you've got the loop going you can play a completely different instrument over the top.

[/quote]

I have guitars. My favourite is my Westone Thunder 2A. It can really do a Frampton like buzz. (Not fret buzz, I'm referring to that guitar sound that sounds a bit like a bee as in what I guess is Frampton's playing on George Harrison's 'What is Life?').

But, I've spent a whole life being crap at playing any real musical instrument. I want to stick to bass. However, while out today, I had a brainwave. I'm going to tune one of my guitars to EADGCF. That way, I can play it like a bass, except that it would have really skinny strings.

I wonder if there is a better tuning for guitar, including possibly obtaining a custom set of strings, that would turn a guitar in to a better approximation of the top 6 strings of a 12 string bass. (And by 12 strings, I don't mean a bass with duplicated strings a'la Tom Petersson, but as in a mega extended range bass. I.e. to continue seamlessly from the top C of a six string bass. However, the top C string is already about 130Hz, which is higher than the E and A of guitar standard tuning. Is it possible to get guitar strings suitable for tuning higher than the high E of standard guitar tuning?

[quote name='Kiwi' timestamp='1385812106' post='2292421']
There is a lovely 7 string fretless Sei for sale at the Gallery.
[/quote]

Looking at the basses you own, I can see that you can justify spending more ££££ on bass stuff than I can :) I'm sure it's very lovely. If I win the lottery next week, it's mine!

Edited by Annoying Twit